Followers

Friday, December 23, 2016

ho ho no

This season of the year makes me introspective.
Ghosts of Christmas past.

I don't have a tree up.
I am considering not ever doing a tree or decorating again.

It's not that I don't like it, it's just that my kids don't care anymore. And when I think about the amount of work involved in decorating and the much easier option of ignoring the holiday décor... well...

I suppose if I ever have grandchildren, I'll want to decorate and make things fun, so I'm not getting rid of my stuff just yet. Eventually I'll divide it between my kids.

My holidays since being married have been good although we were broke more often than not for many, many years.
We haven't exchanged gifts for a very long time.

When the kids were small, I started putting things on layaway in January for their birthdays in June. Then right after that, I started with the holiday stuff. By the time it was Christmas, I had a lot of things stockpiled. I didn't want my kids to have lean Christmases.

It seemed like I always had to wait until the last possible second to make those layaway payments, though.

We chose for me to be home with the kids.
It wasn't a good choice for us financially, but I'll never regret it.

I remember once that making that last-minute-15-dollars-or-we-will-put-your-stuff-back-in-stock-and-keep-your-five-buck-deposit payment was going to cause my checking account to overdraw by about eighty cents. I kept very good track of our checking account then... I knew to the penny exactly how much we were going to be short for the month. ;)

::sigh::

So I found something that I could return to a store for six bucks (well $5.99) and took it back. Went and deposited the money in my checking account and went to Kmart and made the payment on time.

I'm glad we were able to get 'stuff' for the kids.
We never had a lot of extra money.
On occasion we went without, but they did not.

I remember one occasion that I made my own girl supplies for three days until payday. It was frustrating, of course, but even then I had a sense of humor about it. Making the choice between tampons and a gallon of milk didn't seem difficult to me... taking care of the kids, ya know?

I don't fault my parents for our own lean holidays, it just happened. But it was very important to me for my kids to have more things than I did because not having those things caused me sadness.

Does that mean I'm shallow and materialistic? All I know is that coming back to school in January and seeing everyone in new clothes (for like two whole damn weeks!!) and listening to them talk about their holidays depressed me and made me feel sad/mad/deprived.

Add in the irrational anger and craziness of my dad during those times.

I didn't really look forward to Christmas.

I have a lot of perspective now, of course. First, consider how young my parents were. When I was born, my mom was 21, Dad was 20.

My baby baby brother was born when my mom was 27, only a year older than I was with my first child!

Even though times were different when they got married and a lot of people their age were married and reproducing, I have tried to imagine having children when I was that young. I'm so glad I didn't. The timing ended up just about perfect, really.

So the Christmas angst happened with parents who were only 33 to 36 years old. For goodness sake, my parents were 39 and 40 when I was married!

My dad had a lot of pressures. He never made a ton of money, and his retirement was very important to him. He had them taking the maximum allowed out of his checks, which really didn't help much with the family budget in case you wanted to know.

My grandfather was buried on my 13th birthday in 1973. Dad's twin brother died in 1975. I know Dad's never been the same.

Dad was trying to take care of his mother, too. My Grandma Fern.
She was a crabby old lady who thought nothing of smacking him in the head/boxing his ears when he spoke wrongly or did something else to displease her. She was mean to my mom and always, always found fault with everything my parents did. She loved us, but she wasn't stable and calm. How could my dad be stable and calm with a mom like that? And my mom was a doormat. She didn't stand up for him or to him.

Dad wasn't making a lot of money. I don't think my parents considered that Christmas comes every year. They certainly never planned accordingly.

They spent a large amount of time worrying over it. I think I would have worried less if I hadn't heard all of that, really.

It's all a long time ago.
And I know I wrote about their worry over gifts recently.
They still do it.

And Christmas still causes me to stress and obsess, although not over gifts and giving.

It's all shit that's in the past.
I wish I could just turn that off, but I'm terrible at letting things go.
I regret it, but can't seem to control it.

So this year we will have a peaceful dinner with our kids and appreciate being together. I will give my kids some cash because they're grown ups and they know how hard it is to earn.

Eric and I won't exchange gifts.

Next year I'll be out of sorts and introspective again, of course. Because apparently that's the childhood tradition I brought with me.

Bah Humbug.

9 comments:

  1. I understand how you are feeling. My Hubby grew up with absolutely nothing and has always made sure our kids didn't go without - we may have, but they never knew it - if you know what I mean.

    In the end it's how we feel about it I think. We know we did well by our kids, the best we could creating memories and that feeling of wellbeing, being loved. They will carry that feeling into their adulthood and pass it on to their children. Which is all we can ask for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had this conversation with many friends, too. We agree that part of being a parent is to do better for your own children than what was done for you. I know I've done that. And I know my parents did that, too. Both of them grew up with 'stuff' but emotionally manipulative/mean parents. Mom and Dad did the best they could, and I knew then and know now that they loved me. All in the past, but the past makes us who we are in the present.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I know how you feel about decorating. Bah, humbug. I will never get people who spend weeks decorating, and buying all this special stuff you never use but for at most, 3 to 4 weeks. I say this, even though our tree and decor is up, ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tree in the shed. Takes an hour to get it out, set it up and cover it with decorations. I just don't feel like doing it. I'd be doing it alone, and no one would appreciate it except for me. I may get out my miniature tree and put it on the kitchen table. I don't know. Merry Christmas. :)

      Delete
  3. This year, because my brothers are coming over for dinner, DH decided to decorate the tiny dining room with a garland of evergreen and poinsettias; also he put up a strand of blinking lights. the only trees we have are a white ceramic one my mom made in 1966and an even smaller table centerpiece 15" tree that will rotate when you light the tealight candles. It's cute.

    That's a scaled back decoration from the seven foot Noble fir that we always used to do. I don't know how we fit in in our small house! But we did, and had 15 people over for dinner every year, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not decorate anything at all, but I think I'll put the little tree on the kitchen table tomorrow morning.

      It's not that I don't care, really, it's just that most of the people around me don't care. So I feel like 'why bother'.

      I think it's awesome that you have something your mom made as a decoration. As I get older, the things I treasure the most are things that were either owned by or made by my family.

      Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete
  4. I just happened to look down and see your official disclaimer. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything at the time.

    Yes it public school it is very easy to see the disparity in gifts. The last couple of years have been kind of off with babies. I was beyond crazy with a newborn last year. So when it came down to it, and we had less than a week to Christmas, we planned out and bought one BIG gift for each kid. They had hats and mitten sets, a couple of other small gifts, and lots of books either handed down or won in online interactions squirreled away. We got cloth diapers and cloth diaper friendly jeans (the cuffs also roll up and last for 3 sizes apiece) as seconds or imperfect quality for about 2/3 of the price and then at a discount on top of that. She in particular won't need any pants any time soon. Which is good because no one listened to our pleas of clothing for the kids and not beepy toys. Each kid got a discounted long sleeved shirt and the big kids all got jeans, too. The 2 older ones even begged for them. They appreciate new things, even if they are clothes. Each kid basically had 8 gifts to open, a mix of books, clothes and a couple of toys. They were happy enough. I hope they never lose the Christmas spirit. Santa only brings one gift apiece and a few items in their stockings. Why should the fat man get all the credit? Our oldest is pretty bright. She keeps looking at us with this wise look and giggling. She may have to be in on the Santa gifts next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your priorities are in order and that the kids are very content with their holiday stuff.

      I always wanted new clothes, as that was an issue in my family. I don't understand why my parents couldn't manage to buy more than a couple pairs of pants and a couple shirts.

      It's one of the reasons I hoard clothing. And it's damned hard to get away from that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the official disclaimer.
      I am pretty sure I covered everything. I sure tried to. It's supposed to be funny, but I put it up when those nasty fucking work comp lawyers were reading my blog. Made sure to say that everything here is my OPINION, too. They wouldn't have been able to do a goddamn thing if they wanted to make it an issue.

      I still would like to be there when karma catches up with the Head Fuckstick/Reprobate. :)

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?