Followers

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Would you send your child to school?

I overheard a conversation in a local teacher supply store a few weeks ago. Two homeschooling moms were in there shopping for workbooks etc. They actually said, out loud, that not only would they never subject their child to school, but that anyone who does obviously doesn't even love their children. The taller one said, "Why bother to have children if you're just going to send them to an institution? Only a crappy parent would do that."

There isn't any way to change the minds of people like that, so I didn't comment or make an effort to change their opinion. I didn't even bother to make eye contact, act like I was listening or, well, anything. I grabbed the tri fold cardboards I went in there to buy and was out the door in about three minutes.

But it made me ponder a bit.

I don't think most people homeschool because of hatred for schools, I think they've just tried to make the best decision for their kids based on their needs, resources and way of life.

If you didn't already know, we homeschooled for about 17 years, give or take. I took Matt out of school because his school experience was going along quite shittily (I just made that word up, but I like it, don't you?).

At the time, I hated HIS public school, but not all schools in general.
I still feel that way. The school he ended up in by accident of residence was a clusterfuck, and more than one teacher I am personally acquainted with has said that being assigned there is the school system's equivalent of being posted to Siberia.

Taking him out of school was a good move on our part, and not sending Alyssa involved some reasons I don't care to go into right now, but it was the best decision for her, based on her sensitivity and the way she learned. I certainly don't regret the time spent homeschooling, and I'm glad we had the opportunity to learn out in the world rather than my kids going away from me to learn elsewhere.

I don't think that school is the best place for all children to learn, and I think there are problems inherent in the way schools work. Learning and schooling are mutually exclusive, and if someone really wants an education tailored to the individual child, public school may not be the best place for that to happen, especially in the teach-to-the-test high pressure way they're being run. The political stuff, the stupidity of regulations, the people actually doing the work not being paid half what they're worth... yeah.

Now I don't think all schools completely suck.
Lots and lots and lots of kids do just fine there.
'My' kids often talk about how much they hate school, but I think they hate the same things I hated. Getting up early (I still hate that!!) and being forced to do stuff on someone else's schedule. Dragging a child out of bed at the asscrack of dawn to go sit through still another day of 'learning' is sort of a crummy trick, if you ask me.

Once you get 'em there,  lot of time is wasted standing in lines, moving from one location to another,  waiting for attention from the teacher, being told when to learn and how to learn and when it's good enough.

But they love the same things I loved as a kid.
Recess, of course. Time to run and play and scream and throw things and chase around.

Many of them love to read, although book reports and having their books selected for them doesn't sit well with some of the kids I know. I LOVED to read, but when someone expected a book report from me, it was frustrating. Ruined all the fun of a good book.

They love to do projects. To imagine. To pretend to be spies and superheroes and Luke Skywalker. And I don't think they have enough time to do those things.

And the HOMEWORK!! What the hell are they doing (or not doing) in class that so much homework has to go home with kids? They're giving homework in the 1st grade! So as a parent, you drop your kid off or put them on the school bus about 7:45 AM. They go to school all day, you pick them up at daycare between 5 and 6, there's dinner, homework and bed. And if you don't think homework is something to argue about/cause a less than peaceful evening, you aren't really thinking about it. :)

Why are we teaching a generation of children that they must take work home with them and feel obligated to do it? To neglect their family and other relationships so they can do a bunch of meaningless busy work?

So my supposed-to-be-new-but-turned-out-to-only-be-temporary-assistant is a homeschooling mom. And we haven't had a lot of opportunity to get to know one another or talk much about our reasons for keeping our kids out of public schools. We did agree, however, that educational choices should be based on the individual, and that people would probably be better off if they explored all the possible educational options for their children before just using school as the default setting.

24 comments:

  1. I was always afraid I wasn't smart enough to home school mine. Sure, I could have gotten them to a certain point, but then it would have been a culture shock to send them to public school, when I couldn't get them all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a lot of learning with my kids, either a step ahead or right along with them. But no one knows everything,(not even teachers) and learning how to find the answers is a valuable skill.

      And public school is definitely a culture shock. A totally different world than the real one.

      Delete
  2. I'd never thought about homework that way. You're right. Kids need to know how to learn and revise on their own but bring work home !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schools are getting worse. Students are learning less and less. Frankly I'm glad to see homeschooling become more mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe the opportunity of being home schooled was available when my kids began school back in the late 50's and sixties, but if it was I think I probably wouldn't have chosen home schooling.
    It's here that I am going to sound like I'm talking out of the side of my face.
    Having been on Field Trips with my kids classroom and seeing some of the behaviors, I've always said that teachers were not respected enough and were glorified babysitters. Parents expected THEM to correct their kids behavior and manners. Now as I reflect back....while I taught my kids manners and corrected their behaviors at home, I still was only too happy to send them off ( after that heartbreaking FIRST DAY of school ) to BE BABYSAT in a Learning Environment....no drsssing it up.
    I couldn't wait til the door closed after them.
    ME BAD! I say that because...while it was all I knew back then....I'd most likely do it all over again without taking into account of the needs of my kids. Some of them DEFINATELY could have used ONE ON ONE and a differnt way of learning. My utmost respect to moms that HOME SCHOOL their kids given their kids needs and that opportunity to do so.
    P.S. That Damned ridiculous amount of homework kids have now! I did not have that much. My kids did not have that much. It's like the situation is reversed and WE ARE THE TEACHERS! My grandson Logan no sooner gets in the door from school( grade 8 ) and I am on his case. How much homework....get started on it.
    How the Hell did the older generation get anywhere in life without having all the G.D. homework???
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:17 AM

    Hi there! Thought-provoking post! I think just like the working/stay at home Mom debate, you have to do what works for you and give other people the same opportunities. No size fits all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, those moms who say "If you do xxx you clearly don't love your kids" irritate the crap out of me.I am all for homeschooling. I support my friends who do it. I do not, and I have very good reasons for it. I also feel fortunate that I have some very good options for public schooling in my area.

    I am currently in a battle with a couple of Holier-Than-Thou-HOmeschooling moms who have told me that I poisoned my kids by vaccinating them.

    Why can't we all just play nice?

    (I had to delete my preivous comment because there was a terrible grammatical error in there that I couldn't leave.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like schools these days are training them up the way corporate America wants them. My husband has to take work "home" into the evenings and weekends or he doesn't stay caught up. It's the same for his coworkers. They are also online and setting up meetings for the next day at like 10pm, assuming everyone else is online too to catch the schedule. And sadly, they are. His line of work takes away from our family time most of the time although he does his best and I love him for that. He works hard and still always manages to make us feel first. I don't envy the balancing act he has to do. Anyway, your post reminded me that school sounds a lot like his job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that I could never be a teacher. Period. I know that I could never home school my kids. Period. Parents have to choose whatever THEY think is right for THEIR kids. Period. But those people who think THEIR way is the BEST way for EVERYONE is just nucking futs. That's like someone trying to push their religion on me. No thanks. I'll do my own choosing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just killed me to walk away from the women having that conversation, really. But there's no way to make people like that see sense. They've set their way of looking at things, slapped on a coat of varnish, and don't want to crack it. So they won't even consider a different point of view.

      And yeah. Whatever works for you and yours. It worked really well for us to keep our kids out of school, but it's definitely not for everyone.

      Delete
  9. I think it all depends on the child, as you said.

    I know a blended step-family that has 4 kids on the dads side and 3 on the moms. All 4 of the dads kids go to school with my kids (they are all buds) and the 3 mom's kids are homeschooled. All 7 kids are bright and well adjusted.

    For that gal to make a blanket statment that sending your kids to school must mean that we are crappy parents - it takes all kinds, including those that are so narrow minded they don't see that public schools can be good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting, as much as I see the benefits of home schooling I think it would also be important to make sure the kids get some natural socialization. I am sure moms that home school find that somehow, but I would be curious how it is best managed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you need to understand that socializing and socialization are two different things, and that there's nothing particularly natural about the way children do either one in the artificial environment of public school.

      Outside a school setting, people make friends based on common interests and ideas. That's how it works for kids who aren't in school, too.

      It all works out. There is no 'best managed' except what works for the individuals involved.

      Delete
  11. I only support home work when it reinforces what they are learning in class. IE: a large project or memorizing math facts.

    Otherwise, it can be really difficult for kids to keep it together for an additional hour after school. Youngest was suspended again today (Don't ask...it was really stupid) and his teacher sent home all the work for the day and he had his homework.

    He fell to the floor in tears at all the work he thought he had to do in one night. We're piecing it out over the week, but still.... he can only handle about 45 minutes at the kitchen table when he's had a full day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even 45 minutes of homework is friggin' ridiculous.

      I have a homework table set up at work for those kids who want to work on things during program time. It's amazing how much busy work and crap that no one even cares about is piled on them.

      Delete
  12. I did send my kids to school, for a while, but then homeschooled them. It is not for everyone but was wonderful for us. Socialization, yeah, like getting beat up on the playground? :) Since we traveled a lot with Dad during the homeschool years I think we socialized quite well. I have hindsight though because mine are grown up. Graduated from college. One is married and has a child. Who she intends to homeschool, go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ami, not judging , just wondered about it . social interaction is schools sucks by times too , but we do learn from it .I just wondered where those types of interactions happen for home schooled kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ferndear...

      I never, ever thought you were judging. So sorry if you got that impression!! You're one of the most non-judgmental people I have 'met' out there in internet land!! And it's a valid question, especially for someone who hasn't been around homeschooled kids or their nutty parents.

      You've given me a post idea.

      :)

      I'll expand on it more in the near future.

      Delete
  14. Keilee went to PS for K and 1st grade. I never hated PS but I knew that she would do better if I homeschooled her. Ok I HOPED she would. ;) I agree all PS's aren't sucky. I think they would be 100% better if all the teachers cared about their kids like you do. Public schools get a bum rap sometimes. But millions upon millions of successful people did attend them at one time... Ah I could write a book about your post...lets just end by saying, I hate parents who make blanket statements like "They must really hate their kids if they .....". I think parents for the most part do the very best THEY know how.

    *Note to self:: Read before posting next time Karen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. The children I have in my care are very well loved by their parents and families. They believe they're doing the best thing for their kids by raising them, well, however they raise 'em.

      I think as parents we 2nd guess ourselves more than enough without people like that woman in the Ed Supply. I wonder if she ever actually heard herself speak.

      I actually DID hate public schools for a time after removing our son from their 'care'. But I've met so many teachers and worked in so many schools since then that I've figured out that ALL public school isn't horrible, and I'm willing to believe that most people in them care about the children they have there.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I really liked your post. Parents should do what's best for their children. Whether it's homeschooling or public school [SAHM or working etc].

    My sister-in-law homeschools her 4 children. It works for her.

    My son is in 2nd grade. He's at a good school with good teachers. The homework he gets are to review what he learning that day/week. But it's the NYS curriculum that pushing these 2nd graders for the 3rd grade State Math and Reading exams.

    I see where the pressure for them to learn a certain topic quick, and need to keep up. The teachers are flying by with new materials. They're doing more stuff than I was at that age.

    But he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been awol and am just catching up. Everything's fine, just took a little mid-winter trip. Now I'm behind.

    I love homeschooling, but I know not every parent would be good at it. And it isn't right for every kid. A former friend of Violet's went to public school a few years ago. That was the best decision for her, she needed the additional social aspect of a classroom. Another friend chose to go to private school, over her parents' wishes, but they all decided together.

    As for homework, it is ridiculous. The schools are going to burn the kids out with the amount they are given around here. Unless of course, they are just playing around all day wasting their time. I suspect that is the case. Then why bother sending them?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always tell people, I have no idea why people call it homeschooling. I'm never there.
    Girl Scouts, church, dance, Boy Scouts.
    Camping, field trips, Legoland.
    Beach trips, Co-Ops..

    We spend time at HOME learning to be people but we don't spend a lot of time locked in closets never seeing other humans. And as any of my children will tell you, learning to socialize isn't spending all day with thirty other kids. It's learning how to talk to other human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Blog!!! We have homeschooled our children and they have done well in their curriculum. So for me homeschooling has been successful. See the important thing is that are your children comfortable and do well in their curriculum. In homeschool its children become good self learner that is positive point. My son has recently started his Online High School and he is doing well in his curriculum.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?