Followers

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fit to be tied. (Or, I'd rather dye.)

I decided on Thursday morning to experiment a little with new folding patterns during this round of Tie Dyeing, (you can follow that link and see some shirts I did a couple years ago) and spent a couple hours online watching video tutorials. I found some that were fairly informative.

I love the internet.


Thursday night, I spent an hour and a half mixing dye in the kitchen.
I was a good, safe dye mixer, I wore my mask. See?
























(You do NOT want to inhale any of the chemical stuff or dye powder. It's very bad for you. Can make your lungs bleed. Eww. Who needs that?)

Here are the dyes and some paraphernalia.
Red,
Tangerine, Yellow, Yucca, Blue Green, Violet Blue and Raspberry.
















I was sort of aggravated that I didn't have any
plain old blue, I had thought there was some in my supply of dye powders. Ah well, next time.

:)

I decided to fold the dry items, band or tie with string, and transport them dry instead of soaking them in the soda ash solution first and then tying them, (which is what I've always done in the past) figuring that way I could help everyone who needed a little assistance and still manage to get the myriad of projects I'd planned finished. I had seven shirts, eight pairs of socks and two pillowcases to do. I got up early so I could fold them and get our stuff packed up. We still ended up running about half an hour late.

Lyssa and I loaded the dye, all the t-shirts and socks and dresses and pillowcases and a big tub to do the soda ash soak and hmm, rubber bands, our small card table, vinyl gloves, masking tape, ziploc bags, scissors, the flat guy we're hosting for Robinella (he's going home in a tie dyed shirt) and the camera into the car and headed over to Tami's house.

For the next few hours, we hung out on the back deck and dyed. (ha ha ha ha). We made many bad jokes about that, as well as appreciating aloud the fact that we had friends worth dyeing with. Tami and Nicole and Lyssa were done long before I was. Lyssa hung out in the house, drawing pictures, and Tami and Nicole kept me company on the deck while I finished.

We arrived back home about one (because sometimes it takes awhile to dye... snort) glad we'd done it early in the day instead of waiting until it got hot.

I pondered a little about what 'they' say about tie dyeing. One of the things I've
always known-but-didn't-really-know-why was that the garment or item one has dyed needs to sit in the ziploc bag for 24 hours for maximum dye retention. I know that the dyes start to break down after that time, and become less effective, and I've read that the chemical reaction of the dye with the soda ash stops at about 24 hours, too. So I've always left the stuff in bags for that amount of time.

I was curious, though. If I immediately opened and rinsed one or two of my projects, would the colors come out pastel instead of the vivid results I usually get with the fiber-reactive dyes?

So after a very brief discussion with myself, I decided to try it on a couple of my experimental projects, reasoning that if it didn't work out, it wouldn't matter much since I was learning something new. I was dyeing (oh my gosh, the jokes just keep on coming) to see how the new patterns would work.

And you
know what? The colors were just as vibrant and beautiful after a couple hours as they are after the regulation 24 hours. And I learned that tying the items dry and then soaking them works very well. I will probably use that method in the future. If I dye again. Ha.

I made two like this one. One is a 3x and one is XL. They're for some friends of my mom and dad. They're a nice couple who have been wonderful friends for my parents, and I didn't mind that Mom asked me to do this. Every time my parents wear the shirts I helped
Mom do last summer, this lady comments on them.

It was hard to get a really good picture of this for some reason, but you get the general idea, I'm sure.




















This is a pajama shirt. It's huge. I wore it to sleep in last night. Like the heart pattern? It's not as much lighter on the lower left of the shirt, even though it looks that way in the picture. I mean, it is lighter, but not as much as it looks like. Holding the camera sideways in a fairly dark room made the flash uneven.
























Very comfortable.


This is for Tami.
She knows she's getting it, so we don't have to keep it a secret.




















These are pillowcases for an online friend.
We've known each other online for 12 years.









She doesn't know she's getting these. Shhh. It's our secret.

(It's okay, she doesn't read my blog.
)

What do you think? Want to come over and dye?
As always, you'll get a larger picture if you click on the image.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:42 AM

    I never realized that dyeing was this easy. Gee, why are people so afraid of it? I mean, now, when people ask me "Tami, what happens after you dye?" I can reply confidently with, "You get to hang out with good friends, laugh a lot and end up with some really cool things to wear." Ha, who knew?
    I had a wonderful time dyeing with you, Ami, and I am actually eager to do it again, especially since we can come up with even more jokes about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do beautiful work! I really like the patterns. Now if we didn't live on opposite ends of the country, maybe we could dye together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time I dye I want to do it with you! Those are awesome! I need to learn how to do more than just randomly scrunch, twist and band. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are to DYE for! I love the heart shapes. You are so, very talented. You amaze me!

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to dye with you! Love the heart! OK, I have to know what is Yucca???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yucca is the light green you see in the picture with the two colors of green. It's a cactus color, but I think of it as 'dusty green'.

    Since I'm prickly enough without adding cactus.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAZING! Who knew you could do patterns with tie-dye! LOVE IT!!!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking about doing this with the boys but was worried about the powders. But duh! buy a mask.

    I love the heart prints. I'll have to search for that pattern.

    Oh and I've moved back to NASW. http://notastepfordwife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fantastic job, Ami!! I LOVE the hearts!!

    I've got a bunch of RIT dye I got on clearance over the years that I've saved up to dye shirts for the girls. I've always either been short on time or confidence. You've inspired me. I'll have to get busy with them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great. I remember doing tie-dye in school. It was fun but I was 12 so I didn't get such lovely results.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?