Followers

Friday, January 09, 2026

Huh.

Well, the move has happened. 

My brother and his wife did almost all the actual work of getting Mom packed up and moved out of her house and into assisted living. Matt went last weekend and helped with the process, but most of the work had already been done. My other brother, the one who lives in the same town Mom has spent the last 52 years in, did some of the hauling trash to the dump, too.

So Mom's in assisted living now. She sounded more coherent when I talked to her this week than she has in some time. She has made a friend already, and is participating in some activities offered to the residents of her new place.

I hope she is happy and comfortable there. I don't wish her discomfort or unhappiness. I hope she has a peaceful existence until she passes away. I have a feeling that she isn't going to be around much longer, although I am not basing that on anything concrete, just a feeling.

I know that she would hate the idea of lingering in a confused state.
Her mother had dementia and lived in a care facility for SIXTEEN YEARS. Her body was fine. Her brain? Nope.

One of the things my brother and his wife have done is deal with all the bills and stuff for Mom. I don't believe they're stealing or doing anything they shouldn't, by the way. I'm not the least concerned. The parents never had a lot of money, and there's not a lot of money left at the end of Mom's life, either. Once her house sells (if it does) Steve says he's putting most of the money in a high-yield account of some sort and then using the rest for her care. After she dies, he plans to split whatever's left three ways between the three of us "kids". 

I told him he could keep mine, but he said that he feels strongly that it's the right thing to do. 

Watch. It will be something like 250 bucks 20 years from now. Haha.

But while they were figuring out all the expenses and what Dad owed here and there, they discovered that he'd been using his credit cards for cash advances and gambling the money away. He had over 50 thousand dollars in gambling debt, mostly online poker.

Mom had no idea. She still doesn't, Steve said he saw no reason to tell her. I agree, what purpose would it serve?

He consulted an attorney when the credit card companies suddenly were asking for money, and he told Steve that because they were outside the amount of time in which they could legally demand payment from the estate, they had to just write the debt off.

It was definitely a surprise to find this out.

Fifty grand.
Wow.

23+ Thousand Poker Chips Dollar Royalty-Free Images, Stock Photos &  Pictures | Shutterstock

12 comments:

  1. That's a big hump you just got over. Take a breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a surprise.

      Delete
  2. WOW! That's a lot of gambling debt. That's a lot of debt of any kind. It sounds like your brother knows what he's doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and his wife just stepped up and handled everything. I wouldn't have done it, my other brother wouldn't either. So we're glad that Steve was willing to deal with all the BS. He's also the reason she has so many pieces of 'home' with her. She said it felt like home the first day because of all the family photos and knick knacks.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of money to gamble away and I live in Las Vegas! I haven't gambled in years.

    I took care of all the bills, bank account ect when my mom passed in 2011. My mom had $3000 in her bank account and when I closed her account I split the money between me and my 2 brothers.

    I'm glad your mom is somewhere she can be watched and taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 50 grand is a lot of money when there's nothing tangible to show for it. Crazy. And he kept it a secret out of shame, I'm sure. He wouldn't want anyone to know.

      I don't hate my mom. I just don't like her. She was a victim of her husband the same as the rest of us, and I know that. It doesn't change how I feel, but I am not without sympathy.

      Delete
  4. oh wow. Families are such drama - well I shouldn't assume yours is. Mine is a clusterfuck. I hope your mom has some comfort and peace with her time left.🧡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you know by now that my family was not particularly functional. But the 50 grand was a big surprise. I hope she is comfortable and at peace, too. I don't wish bad for her.

      Delete
  5. You and your brother have faced some tough decisions. I'm glad that your mom seems happy. My dad adjusted to an Independent living community, which made my life easier. We had some surprises about his finances when he passed...he had a huge loan because his financial advisor suggested that it was way cheaper for him to borrow money from the company than what he earned in interest on his other investments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hoping for no more surprises.
      Everything that's been taken care of properly is because of my brother and his wife. I so appreciate them stepping up, because I am not willing to do so. I know that's awful. Long story.

      Mom seems content in the residential care facility, and I'm glad. She asked me for another tie dyed zip up hoodie, so I'll be working on that.

      I guess your dad figured they couldn't pursue him past a certain point? I think that's what went on with my dad.

      Delete
  6. Yes to peaceful existence, for you too, and for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't disagree with that. ::sigh::: as usual, no one has consulted me.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?