I don't.
I have no issue with people getting one, of course.
Everyone needs to make decisions about their own health care.
My parents are usually the first ones in line at the annual free flu shot thing where they live.
I assume that most people consider all the angles before making their decision for or against.
Dr. Dirtball told me years and years ago that she wouldn't allow her family to get a flu shot or get one for herself. She said that it's not effective and it carries risks that she was not willing to take.
Well okay then.
I have a few opinions on the importance of the flu shot... first, they usually admit its effectiveness is based on speculation. They're not really sure whether the flu they're vaccinating against is the one that's coming.
It's a big moneymaker for clinics and for the companies that are producing the vaccine, too.
This year, and every year the clinic tells me that I NEED to get a flu shot!
Lots of emphasis on the 'need' part.
They say that every year.
You can get it at the pharmacy or at your regular doctor or at one of the drive-thru events held in various places around town.
Why are they working so hard to sell it?
Well, if they don't sell it, they don't make money on it, that's one thing.
Eric's health insurer sent him a flyer this week exhorting him to 'protect your loved ones with a flu shot'.
Appealing to one's wish to protect the ones they love can be effective, I suppose.
So can using the current crisis to sell the idea further. 'With covid-19, this year, it might be essential.'
Of course this year, everyone who's out and about in the places I visit is wearing a mask.
Handwashing has become a religion for me and mine, too. I'm careful to keep my hands away from my face and do all the things one is supposed to when trying to avoid becoming ill.
It seems to me that this year one has a smaller chance than usual of contracting whatever flu is going around, too.
People aren't going to work, kids aren't in school, most folks are staying home as much as humanly possible and did I mention everyone is wearing a mask?
Part of the reason I mistrust all the stuff 'they' say is all the BS that they can't prove.
'If you get the vaccine and still get the flu, your case will be milder.'
Um, how do they know that?
That implies they're psychic.
I don't think they are.
'The flu shot helped prevent 4.4 million flu illnesses and 58,000 hospital visits during the 2018-19 flu season'
Again, they're not psychics. And shouldn't be trying to act like they are.
'The flu shot can't give you the flu. It can't make you sick'
Eric
knew a guy who actually died from an adverse reaction to the flu
vaccination. He said he didn't want it, they talked him into it. In 24
hours he was sicker than hell, his doctor told him it was "definitely"
the vaccine. The three months he survived after that were not good
months. It made him really sick before it finally killed him.
I don't know.
I am not anti-vax, there are vaccinations I don't disagree with.
But there are some that cause me concern.
Gardasil, for example.
Banned in Japan, multiple lawsuits over horrendous effects including death... I gave that one an absolute no fucking way when it came out and it was suggested for my daughter.
I try to be careful about what I take and feel a little embarrassed that I listened to my doctor about the goddamn BP meds in July. It felt wrong. I knew it was a bad idea and I trusted her anyway.
Makes me more cautious and suspicious now.
So no judgement.
I am all for people making their own informed decisions.
I'm interested in your thoughts on this one.
I haven't had a flu shot in over ten years and haven't had the flu. I do work on keeping my immune system strong. That includes three or four times a week lying in the sun for 20 minutes. A bit chilly in the winter. Fortunately for the rest of the world my deck is very private. No more than 20 minutes as I sunburn easily.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine lying in the sun in Colorado in the winter. Summer, yeah.
DeleteI have had the flu once. 2006 I think. I was sick for a week, even my hair hurt. Even working in a germ factory I've been mostly healthy. I may get the flu and die from it, but so far, so good.
I believe you can make anything positive or negative to fit ones view. don't you?
ReplyDeleteOf course. I don't actually have a negative view of the flu shot, just the marketing and obfuscation involved in selling it.
DeleteI choose not to get the shot because I don't see it as beneficial to me. And for some odd reason, I don't trust the medical profession. Especially after what happened to me this year, but before that what was done to my dad. I'm sure that some doctors become doctors because they genuinely want to help people. I just don't know very many of that kind.
I always get the shot. Never had a reaction from it. If you don't have a reaction, why not get it?
ReplyDelete"The three months he survived after that were not good months. It made him really sick before it finally killed him."
Sounds like he had COVID-19 before there was a COVID-19.
Whatever anyone does, someone will find something bad about it.
The death of Eric's acquaintance was several years ago. I know he ended up with horrible issues, fine one day and almost unable to walk the next. Guillain-Barre syndrome that worsened and brachial neuritis. It was really sad, he'd been very healthy before the shot. He'd had the flu shot three years in a row before that, and never had an issue.
DeleteOne can react differently to each different strain in the vaccination.
I don't see a benefit to getting the shot *for myself*... I have no issue with others getting it as long as they actually consider what they're doing. The jerking at people's heartstrings and straight up bullshit to sell stuff (not just vaccines) makes me more cynical and less likely to buy whatever it is. I don't like being coerced. :)
I got one and always have The Man and Grandchild get one because they both have such chronic respiratory ailments that should they get the Flu it could be deadly for them and the shot's risks are far less. I've only ever had one bad experience when a Base Clinic Airman didn't practice proper hygiene protocol apparently and gave me a deep tissue infection with a dirty needle! So, I no longer ever get one at a Military Base Clinic... but I went to Walgreens this year and was impressed with their protocol. It wasn't so bad, didn't hurt to get it, but did make me tired as Hell for a full day and sore for about the same amount of time at the injection site... now I'm fine and hope it will protect us. I couldn't risk COVID and a Seasonal Flu coming to try to get us and send us over the Rainbow. *LOL*
ReplyDeleteI can understand people getting the shot. And ewww on the bad experience with the dirty needle!! Eww eww eww!
DeleteI did get a flu shot one year, they were all happy with themselves at the percentages they got right. I had no soreness and I didn't get sick that year. I don't know, I probably *should* be nervous about getting the flu but I'm just not. And I really don't have a doctor I trust right now.
I have had pneumonia three times, and have only partial use of one lung after car crash, so a flu shot is always a better option for me if it can help than any risks involved. Daughter has to get one, she works with kids, and son in a group home has to get one, too. I agree, folks who are already being safe as possible to avoid Covid will be less likely (one hopes) to be exposed to flu, too. It is the possibility of getting both at once, or one after being weakened by the other, that is scary. That would make odds of a bad outcome from either virus higher, I think.
ReplyDeleteNow - if there was a shot to prevent the common cold viruses...!!!!!
When I first started working with kids I was sniffly and coughing and feverish quite often. Usually in the fall when we go back to school I start running a fever, that goes on for most of two months or so, just a very low grade fever that makes me tired and draggy. Always thought it was my immune system waking back up after a summer not spent in the germ factory.
DeleteMy normal temp is 97.7. My fever was 99. So not much.
I can understand people getting the shot. I just am not sure it's something I should be doing.
Hey Ami. Happy Friday. We do the flu shots because the kids are young and germ farmers so they bring home all kinds of goodies. And Mrs. Shife works at a pediatric clinic. Kyle still got the flu last year because they picked the wrong strain to vaccinate against. Good times. Take care.
ReplyDeleteI know a lot of people in health care who get the shots... and quite a few who go the opposite direction. It's hard to know who to listen to when they're just calmly stating what they believe based on the science. Not so hard to turn away when it's someone who's full of screaming rhetoric and bullshit.
DeleteIt's interesting to me to find out people's feelings on the issue.
I'm 65, don't remember ever having the flu, never taken a flu shot. I know people who have to take them and get sick every year.
ReplyDeleteMandatory,, in America..
They SAY the flu shot can't make you get the flu or make you sick. I know Eric's friend would not agree.
DeleteI know I've had the flu, though.
I knew mine was the flu 'cause of the body aches, fever and respiratory stuff.
People often confuse vomiting with the flu, but the flu isn't a barfing illness.
Not to be confused with the horrendous bout of Norovirus I had that almost killed me. I have never, ever been ill like that. Don't want to ever do that again.
We typically do not get it. The boys and I have had adverse reactions and where it wasn't a "biggie" we opt out. I have had the flu once, it was terrible, but I'm alive to tell the tale. Generally speaking we have solid immune systems.
ReplyDeleteThe boys are old enough to make their own decisions. Oldest got his this year, I have no idea what Youngest is planning to do. And with the hub's recent infection (see latest post) I suspect he will opt in this year just in case. As for me, I'm still on the fence. Most likely I'll opt out.
I see the doc on Tuesday (new doc) and I'm sure I'll hear about the flu shot then. Her reaction will affect my attitude. I really hate everything about trying to find a new doctor.
DeleteNow I need to go read your blog. Hope all is well.
I felt the same exact way about the Gardasil for my daughter. I didn't let her get it even though her doctor really pushed it. I have the flu once in the past 20 years and I've never had the flu shot. I don't plan on getting it this year either.
ReplyDeleteMy doctor didn't push the Gardisil, but she did offer it. Since it's on 'the list'. I have suspicions about that list, not that anyone in the medical profession is listening to me.
DeleteI had the flu once in about that amount of time, too. It wasn't fun and I don't care to have it again. But I'm not sure the shot will prevent it.
I never got the flu shot until I had the flu one year. I was out of work for a week, and unable to keep anything down for almost 4 days. It was awful. My husband threatened to take me to the emergency room...I think he was scared! I get my flu shot every year now, partly due to my chronic low white cell count. I've never had a problem with the flu vaccine (or any vaccine), but I have heard the stories. I agree, it's something each person has to consider what is best for them before jumping in.
ReplyDeleteWe'd all be so much better off if every medical facility/provider were just truthful so we could make informed decisions. We are stuck taking bits and pieces of 'facts' and trying to form an accurate picture. It's frustrating. And I am sure a lot of people get sick because of it.
Delete