Followers

Friday, August 14, 2020

Just when you thought it was over...


You're not going to believe this.
Or maybe you will.I admit to being a little shocked.
Well, not really.

Since the whole thing has been crazy from start to now.

But in the mail yesterday was a bill from Providence for... wait for it...
SIXTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS.
Yes, that's right.

I don't have medical insurance according to their records.

Since I'm sure their record keeping is on par with everything else they do, I guess all I can do is roll my eyes.

So I sent an email to the HR person at my job last night after the bill showed up.

"Hey Lisa,
Could you please verify that my coverage under COBRA began on July 1st this year?"

I waited until 11 this morning to hear back from her, she's usually very prompt. When she didn't call, I called her instead.

She told me she'd called Providence first thing this morning. She said they'd told her they 'have no record' of payment for me from our organization, although everyone else's has been accepted.

"Huh," she said. "It's odd that of all the paperwork I've sent in, yours didn't go through."

"Oh it's not odd at all," I told her. "Considering how they're running stuff at Providence, it's not odd at all."

Then I filled her in a little on what's been going on.

There were several, "Oh my gods," and a couple gasps.

She told me to stop worrying about the insurance issue, that she'd take care of it and let me know when it was handled.

So sometime in 2024, I'm sure the bill will get settled.

I've also asked my local friends for a doctor they'd recommend if they're stuck at Providence.

I heard from a former co-worker and she highly recommends her doctor.
Her doctor is also a girl-type person (super important to me) and very good at listening.

She told me that Dr M was the first medical person who'd ever actually listened to her and worked to give her a proper diagnosis. I won't tell her secrets here, they're really not mine to tell, but I can tell you that she's in better health right now than she has ever been thanks to a doctor who listened and conducted the appropriate tests instead of evaluating her by her appearance.

What a novel idea.

I know that the not-very-large amount of trust I had placed in my doctor is just gone. 

I don't want to see her again except to read her a letter I'm working on.
I want her to know exactly what happened to me both at the clinic and hospital level. 

And while she doesn't bear 100% of the responsibility for all of it, she didn't call me back to let me know how to get off the medication that was fucking killing me for THREE GODDAMN DAYS.

And yes, I know she has a lot going on, that her employer expects a great deal from her... but she deals in life and death situations and she didn't give a shit what I needed or how I was feeling.

I don't need to be her number one priority, but I do expect respect.
And I didn't get that.
Over and over and over I didn't get that respect I deserve.
 
I now have zero confidence in her ability or wish to help me if I ever have a serious issue again.

So I'm calling for an appointment with my friend's provider as soon as Providence gets the goddamn insurance mess straightened out. It's still a Providence facility, (can't escape that) but it's about a half hour drive. If I get a doctor who actually gives a shit, it's worth it.

I can at least meet her and see what I think, right?

Meanwhile, SIXTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Bullshit. Just bullshit.


15 comments:

  1. Good luck with your insurance "issue". Because of a billing code error, I went through three years of fighting. What helped me win was a dedicated young woman in the brokers office who didn't give up. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the person in HR at my employer is someone who gets things done, I'm hoping it won't take three years to get it figured out.

      And I really had to laugh. OF COURSE something went wrong with billing. OF COURSE it did. How could it have been otherwise?

      :-D

      Delete
  2. yeah, that's a big bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I won't have to pay that much. I haven't told them yet that I expect even my share of the bill to be reduced. Not done raising hell yet.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Made me wonder how much they'd have charged me for COMPETENT care!!!

      Delete
  4. I second that **Face Palm**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just gotta laugh.

      Delete
  5. So very sorry, Ami. What a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will all work out. Always does. :) I confess to laughing over the whole billing thing, I can't think of a more appropriate reaction.

      Delete
  6. holy ship!! I agree if you no longer trust your doc, move on, while it is not her fault for all of it, if she makes you , the patient her priority, then a lot of the trouble you had could have been avoided

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't trust her anymore.
      And now she's gaslighting me, trying to say things weren't the way they were, 'don't you mean we did ____?' and 'did you try the other medication?' when she KNOWS that one made me sick, too.

      Fortunately I have a a great deal of what transpired in writing with time/date stamp on the Providence 'my chart' website. I hate using it, it's cumbersome and stupid, but it definitely has its uses.

      Delete
  7. Before I retired I worked dealing with insurance companies day in and day out. It wasn't an easy task so reading your situation is very believable. My boss used to call me lots of things but a pitbull was one of them because I was determined I WOULD get claims settled and paid. Insurance companies are horrible. PERIOD! Do what you need to do to resolve the issue, but stick with it and don't give up.

    Look doctors make mistakes all the time. They are human. They aren't Gods or robots. You just need one you trust and that listens to you. There's nothing worse in my book than a doctor that treats someone like a "number" and not like a person. Those ones are just in it for the money and nothing else. they sold out a long time ago and it's best to go shopping elsewhere for your own well-being.

    Good luck getting things resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is insurance going to pay $6500? Hell no. They'll negotiate it down to $500.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy. I'm waiting for the new bill which supposedly won't be the same as the old bill... then I will raise hell about having to pay for services NOT RENDERED and being treated like a moron on top of that. We'll see.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?