I love my parents, and I'm glad they're still around.
I guess they're happy to still be around, too, although that old 'quality of life' thing can't be very good. Both of them are falling apart, have been for a LONG time. Like 30 years. No, I'm not exaggerating. I wish I were.
One of the first things that started them down their current path was Dad being diagnosed with high blood pressure, a thing he refused to take medication for. It didn't get better. (Duh).
During that time, Mom had a fall.
Several falls, I guess, in quick succession. She started having issues with her balance and lack of physical condition at the same time.
But she had a particularly damaging fall over the railing of their deck. The deck was only 2 feet off the ground, but the railing was 5 feet above dirt level. She was deadheading the flowers that grew along the railing, but instead of standing on the ground, she was leaning over the railing from the deck and reaching out. She over-extended and flipped over the railing and landed with her upper half in the grass and lower half on the flagstones. I suppose she was fortunate, had her head landed on the rocks, the outcome would probably have been worse.
She was proud of that fall, telling me during the next few phone conversations in an enthusiastic tone that she was, "Bruised from head to toe! I'm just black and blue all over!"
We (my brothers and I) tried to get her to go see a doctor. Maybe get an xray.
She wasn't willing to listen. Brushed us off.
It took a couple months for all the bruises to fade and for her to feel better.
She got a lot of mileage out of that story around town, I'm sure. In John Day, exciting things like that make a person the story of the day... everyone calls everyone else to share under the guise of the 'prayer chain' and the story gets more lurid with every telling.
I could wander away from the topic here and tell you stories about the things I heard while I was growing up. The phone would ring, my mom would be really, really amped up while she wrung every detail out of the caller and even more animated as she rang the next person in the gossip machine and passed the story on.
So Mom fell. And fell and fell and fell. She fell while getting into the shower. She fell while getting out of the shower, although not necessarily on the same day. She fell while gardening. While doing the laundry, vacuuming the floor, getting out of her car.
But the original big fall she'd had apparently broke or cracked three vertebrae. How do we know? About five years after that big fall she (FINALLY) got some xrays. They pinpointed THE fall as the event that caused it.
She started having some issues with pain. Her hips and back (gee, wonder why??) hurt quite often. Her doctor prescribed pain medication for her so she could sleep at night and she refused to take it because she didn't want to be a drug addict. I attempted to reason with her, "Mom, even if you develop a chemical dependence, so what? If it helps you and you are able to feel better and rest, why is that an issue?"
With a little more discussion, the real reason surfaced, "Oh your dad is a worrier. He doesn't want me to be like your grandma was."
Worrier is a euphemism for asshole, I am sorry to say. Whenever he is mean to Mom, which is quite often, that's what she uses.
"Oh, he's such a worrier."
There have been scores of incidents over the years. One of the more recent was the refrigerator debacle. For whatever reason(s) a LOT of people have read that post, not sure why. It explains a bit about my dad and his meanness, mostly directed at my mom now that it's just the two of them.
He's always been mean. I know it's mental illness. I know he can't help it. But I also know that he's been enabled and allowed to be that way, that Mom was never willing or able to stand up to him. One of the results of that kind of thinking was the lack of protection/buffer between him and us when we were kids.
I never doubted he loved us, but it was very obvious he didn't like me once I had the nerve to grow from a child into a woman. There's more about our relationship here on my blog, actually. I'm not going to link any more, it just makes me weary to read it.
I've tried to mend our relationship before. Even though I WAS A CHILD and it wasn't my fault, I still tried. I left home because I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm glad I did, it saved my sanity. It was the right thing for me to do. But he's just gotten meaner and more out of control through the years.
Once he retired, he no longer had to maintain a sane facade for the general public. And he really let it go.
So tonight I was doing the usual online chat session via messenger with Mom. And she told me Dad has a medical appointment in Bend tomorrow at 11 AM. It's a little over two hours for them to drive there. But Dad insisted they be ON THE ROAD at 6 AM. When I asked Mom why so early, she repeated the same phrase, "Oh your dad is a worrier."
He hasn't recovered from the anesthesia's effects, although he was already starting to lose it a bit, and they're getting ready to anesthetize him again. I asked Mom why they can't find another way to remove the stent, and she said, "Well the doctor says they have to do it this way."
Here's the thing, though. If he had a medical condition that precluded general anesthesia, they would find another way. But because my parents ALWAYS do the medical equivalent of 'yes dear' with every doctor they encounter, my dad's going to come out of the surgery an even bigger worrier than he is now. My mom will bear the brunt of it, half the time I don't think she even notices. She turns off her hearing aids or buries her face in her phone and ignores him.
But the downside of her tuning him out is this. The last time he got really sick and needed to be hospitalized, Mom didn't even notice how much his condition had deteriorated, their house keeper was the one who suggested that he might need to be seen as he was, 'sort of gray'.
Meanwhile, he will be a worrier.
You might think that it's not my problem, and you'd be right, it really isn't. He can be shitty and mean all day long (and usually is) and it won't affect me. I just feel really bad that the effect of his meanness/anger is all dumped on Mom.
If I had a nickel every time an older person didn't want to take pain meds because they "didn't want to become addicted", well, I'd have a good amount of spending money. My very dear friend, Jenny,was VERY adamant about not taking anything, ever. She did live past 100 so maybe she wasn't wrong 😜
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry your folks are going thru what they're going thru and therefore putting you thru what you're going thru. I've dealt with a few men like your dad (I think),and it's exhausting. I hope his surgery is uneventful.
It has to be exhausting for my mom, too. She's not in good health herself, takes almost NO time for self care (to her detriment, I don't want to give away all her secrets but she keeps getting infections in a rather private place 'cause she isn't keeping clean) and is on call 24/7. At 81 years old, that's a lot.
DeleteRegarding chemical dependence... it's a LONG way from drug addict. The difference between living for drugs or taking drugs to live. I'm often exasperated, aggravated and angry at her half-thought out positions on things, but again, it's really not my problem and I need to stop trying to control things I have absolutely no stake in.
Oh Ami I am so sorry. I have lived this. You're stuck in the middle in a way and there is no outcome that will be good enough for you (or I) My parents think a doctor is god and will do all they say or the "yes dear" equivlant. My father was "not right" for a long time. They kept listening to the damn doctor. I finally had to go up there, make an appointment with another doctor to get a 2nd opinion. Eurecka he wasn't fine, imagine that. This got him turned around and on the correct meds now that we had the correct diagnosis. But my mom would say, "but he's such a nice man I don't want to hurt his feelings going to another doctor" OMG it's your husbands life woman, not the doctors fragile ego we should be caring about. Oh this rang way too true for me. I hope you can at least have a good weekend.
ReplyDeleteOh thank you!! Another person who GETS it. And I can't do a lot about any of it (next to nothing, I think). My phone rang this morning, it was my dad. He had no idea who he'd called. I'm not sure he does even after the 10 minutes or so we spent on the phone.
DeleteI'll be fine, I'm not the one going through all of it. I sure wish I could fix, though.
It is never easy to see someone being abused like that. It's very hard when it's someone that you love. Harder still when you also love the abuser. My brother-in-law is a mean and grumpy man. I understand why my sister married him, but not why she stays with him. It makes me sad, but it's her choice. I can't change that for her.
ReplyDeleteIt helps to remember that I can't change anything in the situation. But it does make me sad, they've spent 60 years together and I know that many of those years have been very difficult. I love my parents, no matter how much I like or don't like being around them, and it hurts a little more every time I see or hear the anger and the meanness. Er, 'worry'.
DeleteFamily joke. My Mom was a sheepherder and my Dad a cowboy. Their marriage was a range war. When you are the children, about all you can do is stay our of the way.
ReplyDeleteAs an adult, I got an ultimatum; choose one. They hadn't foreseen the third alternative; neither. Took a few years but it worked out. You need to look after your own soul first; that is my advice.
You're right. And you should write about that sometime. Issuing an ultimatum hasn't ever been my first tactic, but the times I've been forced to do so seem to work pretty well. My leaving home was the result of one.
DeleteAmazing how old patterns assert themselves, though. I'm still their kid and I still feel like crap that I can't measure up to what they want from me. No religion, a refusal to hide truths and skeletons, which are kind of the same thing. And I won't agree that some of our family members aren't good enough to be in polite company... 'cause they're GAY!!! OMGGGGG the gay's gonna rub off on us all!
I'm sorry to hear all of this. It has to be hard for you knowing all this is going on. My mom passed away 9 years ago. My dad and step mother finally just got so mean to me recently that I stopped talking to both of them. I can't deal with having mean people like that in my life right now with everything else that's going on so I'm just done with them.
ReplyDeleteIt's hugely courageous to be able to stand up like that and say NO MORE. You don't deserve that kind of meanness, not now, not ever.
DeleteMy dad had surgery yesterday again. Once I'm no longer pissed off, I will write about it.
::sigh::
I am so sorry this Family dynamic that is so dysfunctional is something you're still having to Deal with. When a Couple cannot or will not get along it is impossible to mediate, whether you're in the Family or from outside the Family and Care enough about them to worry about the situation. Senior falls are hard to be accepting of as part of the Aging Process, I've had Two already, one during COVID and it's scary when they begin to happen because you know any one of them could be a Death or permanent Disability Sentence. Mine was a bad one and jacked up my Shoulder, couldn't get in to see a regular Doc or ER due to them taking COVID cases exclusively at the time and of coarse I wasn't gonna Die of a shoulder injury. It's still sore but now so many Months have passed, Arizona is on Crisis Standard of Care as all Hospitals are at capacity, so I'll just live with it. Under normal circumstances I'd of had it seen to and X-Rayed to see what happened and why range of motion and pain persist... now I likely won't bother for obvious reasons. I can understand the reluctance to take Pain Management Meds, it has caused many an Addict and compounded medical situations with Addiction, which is devastating more than what they often give it for... especially Opiods. The Son's Addiction began with prescribed Opiods for a Work Related Back Injury and spiraled out of control, he's still trying to get clean from that and the Addiction almost killed him. So, I'm not a Fan of Addictive Pharma, it's over prescribed and has too many detrimental side effects. Sorry, stepping down off soapbox about that... ha ha ha.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about the shoulder! I had my rotator cuff fixed and bicep reattached ten years ago. I do have a list of people I'd wish that kind of pain on, but not my friends.
DeleteI know someone who's taking opioids as directed every day. He has for years. He's taking them to help him cope with a LOT of pain, and he's never, as far as I know, abused them. He's been taking them so long that he doesn't even notice any sort of 'high' anymore, just a large reduction in pain. They have their uses. And if my mom took ONE every evening, she would be able to rest.