Any time I was bullied by my dad and I got pissed or finally dissolved into helpless tears, it was my fault and my feelings were dismissed with a disgusted, "You can't take teasing."
Often my mom would agree with him or say it at the same time.
It felt wrong but I didn't have the words or thoughts to explain why until much later in life. I never agreed internally that they were right, though. Never believed I was the problem when Dad picked on me.
However, I grew up resigned to being accused of being some kind of emotional wimp whenever anything hurt my feelings. I worked hard to hide how I really felt, but that didn't help either, he just worked harder to piss me off. So when I finally did lose it, it was better for him (more fun?) than just a regular outburst.
Of course that's not fair (life never is, right?) but that's how it was. When Dad picked at me and picked at me and picked at me and made me angry or made me cry, I was told that it was my own loss of control that was the problem, not the inability of the adult to control himself.
My mom didn't intervene, either.
Whatever crap he got up to was apparently just fine with her.
I suppose that's not entirely fair to my mom, she's a product of her childhood, too.
Mom was raised in a small town in Colorado. Her parents were small business owners. Florists.
They worked very hard to deserve a kind/decent reputation in the community, they were trying to earn a living.
That translated into raising their two daughters to not make waves or call attention to themselves.
And never, ever be involved in confrontation whether visibly or privately.
Back down, walk away, let it go.
Mom learned those lessons about as well as you can imagine.
Lifetime conditioning tends to do that.
Showing anger in front of Mom when Dad wasn't home (trying to get her to say something... some sort of agreement with me that what he said/did hadn't been okay) often led to the simpering Christian platitude about a soft answer turning away wrath.
Another fucking lie from the 'righteous'.
Side note... hearing that bullshit always made me angry and still does today.
Mom's upbringing may or may not have something to do with how she handled life and her marriage. May or may not have something to do with my aunt, her sister, putting up with years of abuse from her spouse before she'd finally had enough and kicked him out.
How we raise and speak to our young humans makes a big damn difference, guys.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I work so hard to avoid those kinds of issues with the kids I work with. I cannot make their whole life better, but I can avoid making things worse for them for a few hours a day.
The actions of an adult who's been placed in authority over a child elicit a response from the child. And depending on how much time that adult spends with the child (and how much control over that child's life the adult has) the child's response, good or bad can become automatic. And then you have the lifetime conditioning that causes the kind of hurt I tried to explain at the beginning of this post.
As adults we have a responsibility to try to make those interactions respectful and warm and loving.
But that's not always the case.
The adult's actions can be based on a few different things, including but not limited to; is the adult an asshole, does the adult have a vested interest in not making the child feel bad or will he just get away with it if he makes her cry, is the adult having a good/bad day, is the adult employed as a child care provider or is this a parent, does the adult have the sensitivity of a goddamn alligator, and my personal barometer, does the adult remember what it was like to be a child?
That one has been the most useful to me.
Sometimes it's difficult in the immediacy that is a day care situation, (there are usually 10 or more kids who need varying degrees of instant attention, it's noisy, kids who are upset/angry/losing it aren't going to wait ) but taking a step back mentally and considering how that child really feels can help clarify things.
I don't mean superficially. One needs to consider what kind of day the kid has had. What things are like at home. Does s/he have the grumpy teacher in the 3rd classroom on the left? Is it close to snack time? Being hungry at the end of the school day has an effect on everyone.
Later I can try to figure out what set him/her off and make a conscious effort to intervene before that happens the next time, but later is the operant word here.
Sometimes it's difficult in the immediacy that is a day care situation, (there are usually 10 or more kids who need varying degrees of instant attention, it's noisy, kids who are upset/angry/losing it aren't going to wait ) but taking a step back mentally and considering how that child really feels can help clarify things.
I don't mean superficially. One needs to consider what kind of day the kid has had. What things are like at home. Does s/he have the grumpy teacher in the 3rd classroom on the left? Is it close to snack time? Being hungry at the end of the school day has an effect on everyone.
Later I can try to figure out what set him/her off and make a conscious effort to intervene before that happens the next time, but later is the operant word here.
What all the above really means is, there's merit in pausing to consider your response before actually responding.
I've heard that's true in many situations.
I actually have a favorite joke about flying off the handle, I will try to remember to write it up for you sometime. :)
I think it's important for the adult to remember he is the adult.
And to practice being kind, patient, tolerant for that little person.
I wish I'd been better for my own kids. That I had always remembered who the adult was. I regret every time I snapped at them or failed to consider their feelings before I said something. They were (are) nice people and deserved my best.
I didn't always have that for them. I have apologized to my children for all the times I didn't get it right. I love them so very much and I wanted to be a perfect parent.
Yes, I know that's not how things work. It's part of the reason that I have some sympathy for my own parents. I'm analytical enough to realize they wanted to get it right, too. And I forgive the times they fell short.

Can't say my parents were ever deliberately mean to me but, boy o boy, any show of independence was promptly quashed. I fought back by not being the super jock, class president, 4.0 student, etc. The achievements I made on my own, like being the NRA Junior Rifleman State Champion were hardly mentioned, or praised.
ReplyDeleteMy sister, nine years younger than me, had her money, even the money she earned, controlled. Both of us have tried to do better with our kids.
I think we all do that... try to do better for ours than what we had. My parents did that as well. They were young, wounded from their own upbringing, and did I mention they were young?
DeleteYour description of your dad sounds an awful lot like my husband's maternal grandfather. He was long gone by the time I joined the family. But I'm told his son, husband's uncle, was just like him. He'd tease and pester the kids (well, anyone really) until they'd cry and then tease them for crying. It was horrible!! My youngest son would have such a violent reaction to even the sound of Doug's voice, (tremors, crying, holding on to me for dear life) that we began to wonder if Doug had ever abused (in the traditional sense) him. But Doug had never been alone with any of our kids. He was just THAT scary. Of course, it was "just the way he is". Nobody ever said anything about it. Just put up with it.
ReplyDeleteDoug died 18 months ago. But I see HIS son following in his footsteps. Good thing we never see him.
When my youngest would react to Doug so badly, that's when I learned it's ok to NOT give hugs or loves to relatives just because you're related. We never EVER forced Jeven to interact with Doug. I'm sorry you grew up with that daily.
*I should clarify--Doug had many great qualities. And we are sad he's gone. But. It's just another example of a different sort of abuse that gets written off as "that's the way he is".
Aww, poor little Jeven guy... to be that afraid of someone who's supposed to LOVE you!! I'm glad you stood between him and Doug.
DeleteMy mom always just says, "Oh your dad is a worrier, I'm used to it."
It infuriates me, no one should ever have to just be used to abusive behaviors, but there's one hell of a lot of that going on.
I am sorry things were that way, I wish it had been different for me, but I see examples all the time of dysfunctional families. I know I'm not alone.
My cousin Bigot and his wife Bigette tried to make my daughter hug them when she was maybe 2? I said firmly, "No, she doesn't have to hug anyone she doesn't wish to hug."
They probably still think I accused them of not being safe people. Technically, with their weaponized Christianity and mean-spiritedness, I guess they're really not safe people. But that's not what it was about.
Parenting is the toughest job. I have beaten myself up so many times about the way I handled a situation with my kiddos and how I could have done better. I have a lot of baggage from the way I was raised and I am trying not to pass it along. I am sorry about the teasing as that is certainly not the best way to treat people especially your children. Hope you are well and be kind to yourself. Take care.
ReplyDeleteI beat myself up, too. My kids are 27 and 33, I have a decent relationship with both of them and I love the life partners they've chosen. They're doing okay in spite of the crummy job I did.
DeleteIt's so hard for me when I realize how many times I messed up and how much better I could have handled situations. What I'd really like is a do over, but as far as I know, that's not a possibility. I do appreciate the opportunity to make life less stressful for 'my' kids. At least when I'm allowed to be at work, which isn't now.
I want to find you and hug you! "thin skin may ass! Children and adults need to be treated with compassion not derision
ReplyDeleteYes, compassion is a strong thing. I feel compassion for the child who grew up and became my dad. Anger and meanness aren't usually innate qualities, people become mean and ugly because they're not treated with the love and respect they deserve. How we care for and about our children lasts their whole lives.
Delete