Followers

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Conversations and Appreciation

Every time the school year is over, my families remind me how important what I do really is. Their appreciation for me is always surprising, even though I know from day to day that they do notice what I do, they notice how I treat their kids.

And kids talk, too. Their parents would know if things weren't happy in our little place.

If someone doesn't treat kids right, they're sure not afraid to say so.
Something I've encouraged, too.

Once in awhile one of them tells me a story of a past day care incident or other thing that happened. I always tell them not to be afraid to tell their parents or other trusted adult.

"Always, always tell. Especially if someone tells you NOT to tell. That's a big deal. No one has the right to tell you not to say something. And don't be afraid that you might get someone in trouble, either. If an adult isn't being respectful of you, they deserve to be told on."

Tracy, who's really smart anyway, said, "Sometimes grownups are TOO nice. I don't like it, it makes me suspicious."
The kid is six.
Going on 16.

I told her that she should always trust her feelings.
Told all of them really, we were at the snack tables, which is where a lot of good conversation happens.

"If you feel like you don't want to be around someone and you don't even have a real reason, that's okay. Trust yourself. Sometimes your brain notices something that isn't right and you can't find the words to explain it. That's okay. Trust yourself."

That led to some other observations from the kids, they're pretty smart most of the time. And my giving them permission to trust their instincts might be the only time someone does that.

Of course it might not, they all have involved and caring parents, but I am happy to be there.

We have so many conversations about so many different things.
I feel like this part-time parenting gig is one of the most important jobs out there.

This afternoon Alex's dad came to get him and told me that he won't be there tomorrow (last day of school) and wanted to make sure that Alex had given me a card.

He had, it was a beautiful card.
No reason for them to have enclosed a 25 dollar Amazon card.
Not that I don't appreciate it, but I was so touched by the card that I almost got some tears.

Dad said, "He dictated to me and I wrote it down for him."

Alex's words were, "Thank you for being an inspiration and my friend."

Alex didn't give me a hug, but his dad asked if would be okay to give me a hug. I always feel awkward but i try not to let it show. I know it's from the heart.

Then Stevie's mom came to get him. She had a little plant for me. Stevie didn't need much prompting to give me a hug. As he was gathering his backpack and papers she turned to me, tears in her eyes and said, "Thank you for loving my little boy. For taking such good care of him. For caring about all the kids. We appreciate you so much. We are very grateful that we found you."

I didn't even know what to say. I just used the usual, "I love what I do. Thank you so much for the plant!"

Tomorrow is my last day with Colin. I'm already dreading saying goodbye. His family was the first family I met in this job, and they've been nothing but wonderful for the past three years. He's such a great kid and his mom is SO kind to me. It's going to be hard to see them go.
::sigh:::

I'm considering writing a little note to his mom. If I can find the right words, I'll do a little card for her in the morning.

Also in the morning? I have to drive to the office to pick up all the stuff they've prepared for summer program. My knee is finally mostly back to the regular pain level, which I can manage.

On Friday, we are having a full day program at my site, but I have to haul a bunch of things to summer site, too. I will keep telling myself that next school year, having programs at MY OWN SITE will be worth the bullshit.

I will be grateful tomorrow for cooler weather, and happier still on Friday when it's even cooler. It was hotter than hell today, 98. I typoed that as 908, which is really what it felt like.
Ugh.

So I'm hoping to manage a little more blogging once the school year is over. It's been a busy few months. Hard to keep up with everything and write now and then, too.


12 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the end of Wizard of Oz when Dorothy is told "a heart is judged not by how much it loves, but how much it is loved by others" or words to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had such an amazing amount of support from my families. I'm grateful to be where I am.


      (but I still hate Fluffy)

      Delete
  2. So glad I work with older children... Have had some of them in my classes for three years now, some even four. And I know some of them will be back to say hello. So I will not cry on their last evening at school. But I will miss quite a bunch of them. Good thing there will be others to care about, and nurture and watch grow.
    And I'm still ever grateful I can come here and get more ideas and inspiration about how to be a better teacher/adult working with young people.
    Sending another virtual hug - hoping it doesn't make you feel awkward though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at some of 'my' kids on Facebook last night. Some of them are married. With children. Time goes so fast. Never believed it when I was young and had decades in front of me... now I'm stunned.

      Thanks for the hug.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your summer.

    Life isn't fair! My left knee finally stopped hurting. A few days later the right one starting acting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becoming Decrepit. A tale in 60 chapters. Haha.

      Summer will not be boring.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your summer, will you have any time off? I think it's wonderful that the parents appreciate you so. It has got to feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any time off planned, but who knows....

      It does feel good. The parents in my old job also appreciated me, but this level of love is something new. :)

      Delete
  5. "Always tell...." I wish I had someone like you when I needed that phrase in my head. At any rate, I believe it's extremely important to tell kids to trust their instincts, and always tell when something isn't right. Although we've never met (and I wish we could!) I have to say ~ Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told my dad when something happened to me. I just felt... funny. I knew it wasn't okay. Don't know if you've been reading here that long, I wrote about it ages ago.

      But yes. Kids should trust themselves. I had one ask me, "But what if I hurt someone's feelings by not wanting to be near them?"
      The answer is that if it's someone who loves you, they will understand/forgive you.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure saying goodbye to kids that you've come to care for is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardest part of the job. More difficult than bathroom accidents, arguments, nosebleeds, messy snack tables, angry kids... yep. I didn't cry when Colin left on Thursday, although I wanted to.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?