Followers

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

I'm shrinking

Due to some fuckery by the school district OVER THE SUMMER, the heating system in the lower part of the school is messed up.

It's been between 61 and 64 degrees in our space for about a week. I don't see school staff as often as I did in the old job, so I haven't really had an opportunity to catch up with anyone.

Finally emailed the head secretary last night (that's the person to go to for everything when you work in a school, in case you didn't know) and told her that I knew it wasn't her problem but that all of us were freezing down there and could she catch up with the custodian and let him know?

I got an email from her this morning letting me know what was going on.
The heating systems people came out over summer and took the whole thing apart, saying they'd 'be back with' a part to fix the system.

I'm guessing they meant they'd be back sometime in the next 57 years, 'cause they haven't been there yet.

Since the school is located near home, it's also in the mouth of the Columbia Gorge. Our location is known around here as 'nature's wind-tunnel'. A perfect description.

Our back door has been rattling and banging incessantly. The kids keep thinking someone is knocking at the door when it's just the wind. Because of that same wind and the way our room is set up, we have a nice cold breeze blowing our way through the back room, which is open to the other end of the building where there's also a door.

I realize I am probably the only person all that made sense to, so just take my word for it. The goddamn wind is blowing and it's a little chilly. Oh, and you know what else is blowing? The heating system... 24/7. Blowing cold air into our little room.

It's so fucking cold I think I am shrinking.

Such fun.

8 comments:

  1. Hope you get your heat fixed. It's a shame you've had so many complaints so soon into the new job. Still working out the kinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a learning curve. I know that, although I didn't really consider it when making the decision to leave my 2nd home. The heat is fixed, it was an even 71 in our area afterward. Perfect. :)

      Delete
  2. Maybe you could find a queen/king size bedspread at the SA; split it in the middle and hang it up on a rod over the door. That should block thee wind.

    I am cold all the time, so I feel your pain. I hate it when the house is cooler than 70.

    They had better get a furnace guy SOON, because winter will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that they've fixed the heating, the 'behavior room' at the other end of my area is overly warm. The curtains they had up are open and warm air is blowing into our little area from there and from the heating vent. Ahhhh.

      Delete
  3. Better. But I worked a 10.5 hour day, with no break, only eating 2 rice crispy treats at 630 am.

    Also not fun, but I was not freezing. And yes, I could have stopped for food, but you know, then I would have worked longer, which would really suck.

    And did I mention that I am paid by the day? So yeah, got paid for 8.5.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few times over the last couple years I've come across articles about CEOs or other bossy boss types deciding to treat their employees with the utmost respect. Large salaries, big bonuses, vacation time etc. And magically the job turnover rate went to near zero. Everywhere they've done it. Seems that if you treat people like you give a shit, they start to think of it as an important place and treat it as such. What a concept, huh?

      Delete
  4. I'm doing great, even though they weather is trying hard to make life as grey as possible. Bat wings were made out of black paper (heavier than regular paper, not sure if it construction paper for you though).
    Looking forward to pictures of haunted houses. How do parents deal with school starting at 10 every Monday??
    Keep warm and safe, hugs to help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know about the various ways parents deal with the 9:55 AM start time. I don't really mind it, gives us extra minutes for whatever make and take projects we want to do as well as time for me to have conversations with the kids. We're still getting to know each other, and the relaxed 'just hanging out' atmosphere is perfect for that.

      Our weather has been a little crazy the past week or two. Try to stay cheerful. :)

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?