To quit my job without having something else lined up.
I do.
I will be working for a different organization, but doing the same basic thing.
I decided that I would not be leaving my current placement unless I found something that I felt would work for me.
Sort the whole 'devil you know' thing.
I knew Fluffy and her coven were a bunch of jerks, but I figured I could just go on with my program as much as possible if I didn't find a job. Having the security of health benefits and knowing where everything is and having a great relationship with the people in the building is a good thing.
I went in for an interview at one on a Monday afternoon.
On the other side of town.
Of course.
The guy told me via telephone that I'd need to plan for an hour. Since it was only going to be an hour, I figured I'd be out of there a few minutes after two and be able to zip back over to my side of the city before the heavy traffic hit.
Only we started talking after I filled out the application and answered a bunch of questions on paper about how I'd schedule an afternoon program and why would snacks happen before going outdoors and how do you handle disciplinary issues?
'Well first, you need to communicate clear and reasonable expectations to the children. You sit down with them at a table on day one and just talk. You ask them what they think would be reasonable rules. You let them take as long as they want to in discussion. You write down every idea they have on a white board or paper that they can see. And at the end, you take each thing they've come up with... 'no hitting', 'no yelling', 'be nice', and get them to help you reduce all that to one word. Respect. And then you gently remind them, as many times as it takes, "How are you respecting your friend when your hands are on him?" Kids respond so much better when you're constantly monitoring things and they know you are. They know what to expect from you. So you start out by establishing what they can expect from you and what you will want from them. And once you've built that foundation, you don't have 'disciplinary' issues.'
Or something like that.
And then we talked some more. We ended up talking for more than two hours, this was after I got there at one, filled out the papers and finally was taken to the interview room around 1:45. I had a lot of questions for him, too. I wanted to know how things are organized, who would I answer to, supply procurement, reimbursement for expenses (get this... they encourage people to save the company money by shopping at Goodwill or other bargain places and they're very happy to reimburse their people for that) and other 'will this be a good fit' questions.
Then, instead of saying, "Thanks for coming in, we'll call you," he said, "I'd like to offer you the job. Do you have time to fill out some more papers?"
Well what was I going to say?
Geez.
So I filled out a ton of paperwork.
Then he asked me if I was able to be back 'tomorrow morning' for training on how the company runs, their history etc. I told him that I had physical therapy to deal with the next day, so he arranged for me to come on a different day. He really wanted me to take the job.
I will be earning more to start than I was being paid after 12 years of service to the company I am leaving. It's still not a great deal of money, generally speaking, but I am not in a highly paid line of work. The point isn't how much money but how much respect. And they're already treating me with more of that than I've had in the past couple years. Although I will have to wait a couple months for my insurance benefits to kick in, I will have good benefits, too.
The school I will be working in is very close to my house. It's three miles instead of 8. I will still be working a split shift, but I won't be driving 32 miles a day. It will be 12 instead.
There are many reasons I feel good about the new job, but I'd be crazy if I weren't feeling a little apprehensive, too. It's a big change. It's not a change I wanted. The real change I wanted is for Fluffy and her coven to get the hell out. They don't belong in any kind of childcare, as none of them seem to care much for children.
But I do. And I know I can build relationships with a new principal, new families and a new organization.
I can't deny that I'm looking forward to it.
Mostly.
Oh, Congratulations on your new job! I hope it is everything you want in a job. I'm sure the kids and the parents will love you. I do feel sorry for the kids you are leaving. Maybe some of the will be able to follow you.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you in your new endeavor!
Thanks for the good wishes. I saw the place for the first time yesterday afternoon. Let's just say that they haven't had anyone out there who's been willing to put out the effort to build the program. It's going to be a challenge for awhile.
DeleteWhile I feel for the families stuck with a now awful program back at your old school, it is high time you were working with a company that will treat you with the respect you so deserve. Congratulations on the new job! Keep us posted on the saga as you do what you can to fix your old program, too - I suspect you will find allies in parents of kids there to help get rid of Fluffy etc. Does the new company know why you left?
ReplyDeleteI hope for the best for those families. The principal HUGGED me. So did the entire office staff and three teachers who wandered in during the course of our conversation. The principal said, "I don't have to allow the program in this school. And if they don't get someone out here who's good, they're GONE."
DeleteOn the application for my new job, it said, 'reason for leaving'. In that space I wrote, "Let's discuss this." And then he didn't ask, and I didn't tell.
Hope you don't mind, but I am having my dd who works in a before school program while she takes classes towards a degree in elementary education your paragraph on discipline.
ReplyDeleteI have no issue with people sharing my whole blog. It's not connected with my real name, I don't ever mention the name of any company I work for on social media and if something I write will help people treat kids better, I am honored.
DeleteSounds like that guy recognized that he had found an absolute TREASURE when you walked in. This is such a turn of events! Hoping for the best for the school/program you left, but thrilled that you seem to have so much to look forward to this year.
ReplyDeleteI don't know what to think about the organization as a whole. I think they could use some polish on their image out here, which I can definitely provide. The whole building up/running a good program is what I'm good at. I'm withholding judgement until I have been at it a couple months. I committed to stay for one full school year. I can go somewhere else if I have to. ::crossing fingers:::
DeleteWonderful you joined an organization with someone who will make a decision on the spot. That is a sign of good management IMO.
ReplyDeleteI was a little surprised. But after seeing the program yesterday afternoon, I realized that I'm exactly what he needed. I don't require any training on how to run a program or how to meet licensing requirements. I can be out here on my own little island and just do my job without a lot of supervision. We'll see about whether or not he's a good manager later. I don't really like him, although it's not an issue, I can get along with people I don't like. It's when they shit on me that I end up with issues. ;)
DeleteAgreed with Gail and WSF. I am so happy for you....and the remarks of the principle of the former school sounds like he is on a mission to improve or remove....ha ha. It will be work, and you're up to it, having done it before....I know they will quickly realize what a great choice they have made. Now, if we lived nearer each other, I'd bake you a nice cake to go with the coffee.
ReplyDeleteOh my old principal is furious. Not with me, with Fluffy and her shit management. And yes, he will toss them out if it becomes necessary. I hope it doesn't, really. It would be tremendously inconvenient for the parents who've trusted me all these years. I am concerned that Fluffy wouldn't know a good thing if it hopped up and kissed her ass, though. And she has hired some real assholes. I don't want my kids to end up with a fucking jerk.
DeleteWill be crossing fingers for the old school, the children and the parents. If needed, could the principal try to get the new company take over the program? And can you sleep longer now? That would be great news right? Oh my, I'm all stressed now! Would love to send you some books. But you can go shopping, and get the money back, so enjoy! And here's hoping there's at least a white board to get to the "respect" part of the opening discussion. Looking forward to more news soon. Enjoy the weekend in the mean time. And get enough rest for the feet and knees too.
ReplyDeleteThe principal has two choices. Allow the current company to run a program in his school or have no program at all. There is a no compete clause in the district's contract.
DeleteI have books. I brought a few favorites home with me, and there are several on the shelves at the new program. I will probably supplement a bit. I have my own white board. Brought it home with me along with a ton of other stuff. I left a great deal behind, but I made sure to bring home the things I need to boost my new program.
Apparently it's a pretty small program right now, they really haven't had anyone good out there in quite some time. So I think we're going to start out the school year by making a tie dyed shirt for each kid in the school colors. I have a TON of kid sized shirts and I think that would be a great visual impact to start things out. I probably will continue to get up at the same time but my commute will be a lot shorter. I will still have time to rest.
I have no doubt the principal, school staff, parents and especially the kids, are going to miss you BIG TIME, but I sincerely hope this works out a lot better than your now former program!
ReplyDeleteI am ready for the challenge at the same time as I'm pissed about having to do it. I hate it when someone turds in the punchbowl.
DeleteI will miss all of my people, too. Working on some tie dyed shirts for the school staff that I worked most closely with. Delivering them on Wednesday, if I get my shit together today.
woohoo! enough said
ReplyDeleteI wish I felt better about it. But I couldn't do it anymore. Just couldn't.
Delete