Spending my days at Camp Itstoodamnhot.
The kids are not cheerful for some reason.
Today we had a visit from the fire department. A planned visit, I should say.
We didn't tell the kids that the fire department was coming because if they'd had to go out on a call and not been able to come, it would have been disappointing to the kids.
We opened up the back gate and they drove their big truck right onto the playground. The children were so excited.
Made me smile. Love it when our plans work.
After the talk about when to call 911 and what to do if your clothes catch on fire, in the transition before dividing into two groups to see the fire truck, one of the littlest guys walked up to a fireman and said, "Excuse me, Mr. Fireman?" The guy leaned over to listen to him. "Yes?"
"Could you please tie my shoe?"
And that amazing man DID it. He bent down and tied the shoe.
Three really nice guys. Patient with the kids, sense of humor and a willingness to just hang out and talk to the children as if they're important.
I set up the visit via email, but we'll make them a card this week and enclose a photo of them with the kids if the photos turn out. In the camera they look okay, but I can't tell until I go to Walgreens and get a look at them.
As I was leaving today, there was a guy parked in front of my house. There was a large television set and a bunch of boxes and assorted... stuff in the back of his car. The lights were on, but the engine was not. He sat and stared at me, smoking, as I drove past him on my way up the street. I circled around to get another look at him and memorized his license plate number. He did not belong here. I memorized the license plate number and the type of car and called the police on my way to work. They said they would send someone out immediately to see what was going on. I've lived in this neighborhood for a long time. 26 years. I know when someone doesn't belong.
When I got home he was gone and everything in the house was intact.
I fixed that, though. Opened up the back window to pull the air conditioner unit into place and smashed the FUCK out of the knuckles on my right hand. Since I still had my little ice chest full of ice from work, I grabbed a couple big chunks of ice and got them on the bruises immediately, and tonight it looks like my hand will be okay. Ouch.
So that's what's going on in my little world.
It's too goddamn hot to misbehave.
How's it going where you are?
You move your AC? Why would you move it? Even in the old days, when we had window units, we never moved them.
ReplyDeleteOurs is only in the window when one of is home. We want security more than we want cool air and the window is in the secluded back yard just off the patio.
Delete