As if Jennifer's* high maintenance day wasn't enough, I had to call 911. It was about 5:30, I didn't have a lot of kids left to be picked up, and we heard people running on the roof. I immediately dialed 911 and let them know. She dispatched an officer while I was on the phone with her, providing details about the one kid I'd observed (and in my head I was going, well, you'll recognize him because he will be the one on the roof... duh) and keeping my own kids away from the windows. I did not want them to see it if someone fell, and I wanted the little idiots on the roof to get caught so that it might scare them enough not to do it again.
This same sort of incident happened a couple years ago. There were some pre teen boys who thought it would be smart to SKATEBOARD on the roof. The steeply banked roof with you know, no safety rails and no nice soft padding on the ground underneath to break the fall when they misjudged the edge and FELL. Thank goodness no one did. And no, I can't leave my kids alone inside to go outside to yell at them, and I don't know if it's safe, for all I know one of the dummies would fall off as I step out and land on me.
I did notify the custodian when he walked by in the upper hallway and he went out to yell at them, but they were already gone.
One of my parents is a police officer. He told me when I told him about that incident that I should have called 911. I didn't because I wasn't sure if I should... was it an emergency? Would I be taking an officer away from something important for kid stupidity?
He assured me that it would be a GOOD idea to call, and that if there was ever another incident, I should.
So we heard kids running on the roof, I called police, and not too long after, heard no more kids on the roof.
I did get a call from the police, letting me know that they'd been sidetracked for a domestic violence call. I'd have to say that was probably more important than some dumb kids on the roof.
So I will have to let the custodian know that he's going to have to once again figure out how kids are able to get on the roof, since we all thought they couldn't do it anymore after the last time. Ha.
I'm not sure what we can do about the stupidity of some of the young, though.
I can't even imagine kids up on the roof trying to skateboard! Looking for a thrill which could lead to injury or death - little dumb asses.
ReplyDeleteThe kids on the roof will soon be introduced to a very important rule of Life... something called "Roho's Law"... which simply stated says:
ReplyDelete"If one is going to be dumb, he'd better be tough."
Love...
~shoes~
Oh man, it's too bad the police didn't get out there (yes, I'd say the domestic violence matter is more important too). It would be good for those kids to get a scare, I think, by getting caught.
ReplyDeleteSince I once was on of those kids, I doubt if you can stop them.
ReplyDeleteYou are a smart woman, don't ever hesitate to call 911, tell them what you know, it is THEIR responsibility to determine how to handle situations, their job and that is what they want. It is better to call, no matter how small you think the issue might be---we are the eyes of our police, we are a team.
ReplyDeleteShortly before Thanksgiving last year a 17 year old boy went missing. They found his body just before Christmas in the vent of a local school. From the sounds of it, it the cops were called regularly to chase the neighborhood teens from the school roof. He apparently decided to hide in one of the vents, so he wouldn't get caught by police, and he died when the furnace kicked in. :(
ReplyDeleteDefinitely call 911!
Holy crap. That's so sad. I agree, better to call 911 and let them decide the emergency.
Delete