I talked to a relative on the phone this
evening and found out (not a surprise, I already knew) that one of my
brothers is a sanctimonious prick.
He uses his religion as an excuse to be an asshole, and it embarrasses me. I realize that the mean and ugly and appalling behavior he indulges in on a regular basis, using his god as an excuse isn't my fault, and that I don't have to be ashamed of it, but I am.
I've said for years and years 'we weren't raised like that' but you know what? We were.
In an utterly amazing coincidence, the god we were forced to worship while growing up hated everyone my parents hated!
So I want to figure out how to write about it without compromising the identity of my relative. Not my brother... I don't give a rat's ass if you think he's an asshole right along with me. No, the other relative.
Not that I have a huge readership or that anyone really cares all that much what I write here, but I just have this urge to say what I'm thinking and what happened.
In other news, it's past my bedtime and I'm once again dragging my ass out of bed at five. So I'll ponder this and see what I can come up with.
And here's Leopold. He's ready for March 17th a little early.
He uses his religion as an excuse to be an asshole, and it embarrasses me. I realize that the mean and ugly and appalling behavior he indulges in on a regular basis, using his god as an excuse isn't my fault, and that I don't have to be ashamed of it, but I am.
I've said for years and years 'we weren't raised like that' but you know what? We were.
In an utterly amazing coincidence, the god we were forced to worship while growing up hated everyone my parents hated!
So I want to figure out how to write about it without compromising the identity of my relative. Not my brother... I don't give a rat's ass if you think he's an asshole right along with me. No, the other relative.
Not that I have a huge readership or that anyone really cares all that much what I write here, but I just have this urge to say what I'm thinking and what happened.
In other news, it's past my bedtime and I'm once again dragging my ass out of bed at five. So I'll ponder this and see what I can come up with.
And here's Leopold. He's ready for March 17th a little early.

The problem is that God doesn't hate anyone.
ReplyDeleteIf you grew up in my family, you would know that God hates gay people. Black people. Mixed race families. Democrats. Republicans. Buddhists. Jews. Chinese people. God hates people who drink or smoke or swear or wear revealing clothing or get a divorce or have premarital sex. God hates people who aren't loud and in your face Christians. God hates the 'wrong kind' of Christian, too. Yep, God hates just about everyone except my parents and the few people they worship with. Every Sunday. For a couple hours. Which discharges their God quota for another week.
ReplyDeleteI try not to judge but your bro does sound like a bit of a tool
ReplyDeleteOne of the best things for me about being free from religion is that I can say what I think.
DeleteAm I judging, calling my brother a sanctimonious prick? Doesn't matter. That's how I see it.
And I get to judge alllll I wanna.
Wait until I tell you what he did!!!
I'm with Lisa on this one!
ReplyDeleteEx in laws were just like your parents. UGH!
(((hugs)))
I love my family. But there are things about them that I don't like. Their religion and hatred of people who aren't like them bothers me. I often wonder why I am tolerant.
DeleteFamily. What can you say, we sure can't pick them. Sure works out NOT to live anywhere near them when there are issues.
ReplyDeleteThat Leopold, he is classy and cute lol
Leopold thanks you. He asks if you think he's rocking the Sammy Hagar hair. I assured him that EVERYONE thinks he totally rocks.
DeleteNo. Can't pick family.
The God you grew up with would despise me, then! :D
ReplyDeleteYeah, that's hard - having something to say, something that weighs very heavily on your heart or mind - and not being able to say it. Been there, done... well, doing that.
But I know you'll come up with a way to do it. You're clever.
The god I grew up with wouldn't like me, either. Funny how he 'walked beside me' during all that growing up, yet I don't hate the right people today. Wonder where he went wrong. Hm.
Deleteyou went to the wrong church *hugs*
ReplyDelete