Our little school has had a TON of absences in the past month, and it's getting really bad now. I had seven kids missing on Monday, and I haven't really been paying careful attention since I've been BUSY, but today (Thursday) I was missing four.
Many of the kids I did have were coughing, sneezing, sniffling, sore-throating and fever-ing.
Tonight, I am running a fever, too. I don't feel bad, although a little draggy, but the fever headache and joint aches are with me. I figure if I make it through Friday, I can rest up over the weekend and hopefully be fine.
Leopold showed up on Monday with a hot pink mohawk and a fuzzy vest. He's also sporting an anatomically correct heart, made by Lyssa from FIMO clay and carefully painted. I will try to either take a great photo of him there (not likely, since I always forget my damn camera) or bring him home over the weekend so I can show you.
This morning, Dave* and Ken* were at it again. Making me laugh.
Dave was sitting on a rug on the floor near the Lego bins. Ken was standing there getting something out. And Dave looked up and said, "Dude! Your butt smells funny!"
Ken looked insulted and exasperated at the same time.
"Dude. Don't sniff my butt. You're not a dog."
::snort::
We did a cute Valentine project this week. Perhaps I should try to photograph that, too.
Anyway. Crappy post. I feel crabby, I feel crabby, I have fuzzy teeth and need to brush them and go to friggin' bed.
And I'm all stressed out over the fucking taxes, the fact that we don't have time go anywhere when we have the money, or the money to go anywhere when we have time.
We will be taking our belated anniversary trip in March, four nights at the coast for a little over 30 bucks. I'm excited about it, time to just be a couple is something we don't have a lot of.
Speaking of couples. I overheard a conversation between some of 'my' kids at the art table this week, too, about how sometimes guys get married to other guys and girls can marry girls.
One of them offered that his aunt is "like, married to a woman only she can't get married in Oregon. But they live together in the same house and they have a dog and a baby and everything."
Penny*, in an insulted voice said, "Well that's not fair. I think people should be able to get married when they love each other. Don't you?"
There was general agreement around the table.
It was a short conversation. One of many about a myriad of topics. It was not of major importance to them, just.. a topic. And they moved on.
It made me smile, because THAT is what I would
love to see when people discuss marriage. Just general acceptance that
people should be able to get married and some indignant, 'well why not?' from people in general. Why not indeed.
I was actually struck by the fact that the idea of two women or two men wanting to get married is so normal to my kids, after living out here for 11 years (MUCH different in Indiana)that they think little of it. It's just what people in love do, gender irrelevant. I love that they see it that way. Each generation learns a little bit more, right?
ReplyDeleteGod I hope so. I want my great grandchildren to hear that "Back in my day people who loved each other were sometimes NOT ALLOWED to get married. Isn't that ridiculous?" and have them get round eyed and shocked.
DeleteI know there has been progress made. Just not enough. But it was so matter of fact coming from 'my' kids yesterday that it does give me hope for the future. :)
I think I'd be crabby if someone smelled my butt, just sayin'.
ReplyDeleteI also was so tied last night that I went to bed without brushing my teeth... gross, but totally worth the coma I had succumbed to. :)
I always end up mixing a little baking soda with my toothpaste on mornings like that. Helps get the fur off my teeth,
ReplyDeleteHope you're staying warm and safe.
Exactly , why not! Hope you have a better day
ReplyDeleteI have stopped being surprised/amazed by the things the kids get up to. Butt sniffing? Just another day at the office.
Delete:)
Don't smell my butt! LOL I sit on mine all day and wouldn't wish that on ANYONE!!
ReplyDeleteTimes are a changin, for the better.
Hope you get to feeling better Ami :)
Well, life has ups and downs.
DeleteThat ought to be on a t shirt, don't you think?
I get such a kick out of 'my' kids.
I love feeling like I'm a fly on the wall in your center. Those kids are damn funny!
ReplyDeleteFeel better soon!
I wish I could film them and post it. They really are hilarious. And the larger the group, the more little mini groups there are. And every single little group is funny, too.
Delete