Jennifer* has been out for a couple days, not feeling well. I'm sorry she's sick, of course I don't wish that on anyone... but it's been strangely peaceful in our program. No one is whining when they ask me for something! ("Jennifer, that's your two year old voice, can you try the one you use as a six year old, please?") She does, too, as soon as I remind her. Sometimes all I have to do is turn and look at her after about the first three words or so and she remembers.
:)
No one has cried over small things, like 'she poured me too much juice' or 'he was looking at me!!'.
No one has been snotty to me when I suggested that gym shoes might be a good idea for playing in the gym. :)
I know she'll be back next week, and I'll be happy to see her. But it's funny how a high-maintenance kid changes the atmosphere of the program.
She really is a cute kid, and I have a feeling she'll end up being one of the ones that stays with me in my heart long after she grows and goes. I am grateful for a job that gives me the opportunity to bond with small people and enjoy watching them grow... and then hand them off to their parents and not have to buy their shoes, put them in braces, take them to have their hair cut...
Of course, to make up for Jennifer not being there, I will whine here. Treating a headache before bed tonight, I'd almost forgotten that I woke up about 2:45 AM on Friday with the migraine monster wrapped around my head, but the pressure coming back has reminded me.
So I shall take my whiny self to sleep, be glad that when I wake up at 5 and have to peeeeeee that I will be able to go right back to sleep, I will relish having money in the bank for a few days, and go grocery shopping with the man. Weekly date time!!
And I have to tell you, Tami, that I nearly forgot to post tonight.
How's that for absent minded?
When I was younger payday used to be my favorite day of the week . . . now it's just NOT anymore. All it does is remind me of all the bills I need to pay, LOL.
ReplyDeleteHope your headache is gone this morning! Take some good meds.
I woke up with one of the worst ones I'd ever had. Top five for sure. Managed the task of getting a migraine pill out of the vault, er, package and went back to bed after making sure the trash basked was lined and next to the bed just in case I had to barf.
DeleteWoke up three hours later feeling completely refreshed and without any pain/pressure at all.
Headaches are weird.
Payday used to make me smile, too. Now I visualize my bank account, lying on the floor in a deserted vault somewhere, panting for breath. As it's about to breathe it's last breath, an infusion of electronic cash arrives and refreshes the little sucker.
Then all these little electronic leeches come and start sucking the money right back out... leaving the poor little account panting on the floor once again.
Repeat and repeat and repeat.
I am so glad that I can be here for you, nagging without even sending an IM, a text or a phone call. Now that is friends, baby.
ReplyDeleteNag.
DeleteHigh-maintenance kids change the atmosphere around home, too!
ReplyDeleteI know they do, I had one.
DeleteI imagine that Jennifer's parents are frequently exhausted after dealing with her shenanigans, but they're also very pleased to have her. She's well loved.
I get a kick out of her in a lot of ways, she has so many stories to tell and silly little quirks. Endearing in some ways. I'm glad I have her in my little group.
I'm so sorry that you have to live with this migraine pain. Hope it goes away soon.
ReplyDeleteI hope Jennifer gets better soon, but can understand that not only you can enjoy a few whiney-free days. I'm surprised that none of the other kids have said anything.
Oh the other kids DO say stuff. Especially Evan* who will say whatever's on his mind whenever it pops up.
DeleteSome of the other kids don't know how to handle her. At first her instant tears got her a lot of attention, because most of the gang are compassionate little people. They've learned that her tears are more or less meaningless, since she can turn them off/on at will.