Eric and I decided to try grocery shopping at Sprawlmart this weekend to see if it would save us money. It actually did, probably about five bucks... but it would have to save me 50 every week to make it worth my time to go there.
No, I do not love Walmart. I don't like the way they treat their workers based on the few I've known personally. They cut their hours and make them work holidays, people who work there don't make a living wage, women are not in management... the list goes on. I'm sure you're familiar with it.
I'm also old enough to remember Sam Walton and his insistence that everything be made in America... ha ha.. not anymore, kids!
So why did we try it?
My family's bottom line is of sufficient importance to me to try to save money when and where I can, but taking our weekly grocery shopping expedition to Sprawlmart just isn't going to happen.
We were greeted at the door (after hiking about three miles from the parking lot) by one of the Salvation Army bell ringers. I hate that SO much. I usually ignore them, I'm certainly not going to donate money to any anti-gay organization no matter what the season, and there are ways to help other people that don't involve in-your-face solicitation. It does not add to the happiness of the season for me to have them outside the stores when I shop. Call me Scrooge. I don't care.
There was a woman with a toddler in a stroller. Baby was about a year old. The mother had given the child a plastic produce bag to keep her occupied. She was chewing on it, taking a huge amount into her mouth, drooling down her chin etc... the MOTHER wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to the baby, shopping, talking on her phone... that kid seriously could have choked and died. The mother would have been surprised, I'm sure. She might have even sued the store.
Then, there was a guy with gauges in his ears. He was wearing jeans for the buttless, black and white Waldo striped shirt and I swear to god those gauges were the size of bangle bracelets.
Now I don't 'get' them, but I don't have a problem with it, they're his ears. What makes me say 'huh' though, is the attitude. Yes, I looked carefully at him. It's hard to look away, ya know? And he looked all disgusted that I had noticed him. His glare was just full of challenge. WTF? If you don't want people to look at you, perhaps you should ponder the Leopard. He's showy against a white background, but when you put him in his natural habitat, he's almost invisible. The lesson here is that if you're sporting bangle-sized holes in your earlobes and thinking you look hip, and people notice you, perhaps you're in the wrong surroundings.
People were parked in the middle of aisles, seemed utterly clueless that they were in the way, and just took their damn time moving on. Every 15 to 20 seconds, someone made a loud announcement over the PA system. Between the constant noise from the PA, the huge crowd,the loud hum of the refrigeration units, screeching children... I couldn't hear my husband talking.
There was no fresh fish. No seafood at all, really. Unless you like the breaded kind you find in the freezer. There were THREE FULL AISLES devoted to frozen convenience 'foods'. Now I am not the most careful eater, but I don't eat that stuff.
The produce was pretty crummy, too. The broccoli was not in flower, was a weird green color without the blue you get with the good stuff, the mushrooms were PACKAGED in little cardboard containers and shrink wrapped, the potatoes were small and misshapen. Bananas were over ripe and there were only a couple varieties of apples.
The chickens were all either frozen or from Alabama. Which means they HAD been frozen and thawed. Most cuts of meat were very fat, very expensive, and I swear they'd all been sprayed with spray paint. Weird color.
So we got the things we could... a loaf of bread, paper towels, toilet paper, apple juice, orange juice, butter... but there were things on our list that simply weren't available there. So we get to go to our regular store today and get them. Meaning we have to go shopping TWICE when going even once sucks.
The grocery store we usually use is crowded at times, but the entire atmosphere is different. It's quieter, although there is still quite a bit of yelling over the PA. It's a little more expensive on some items, but I learned that paper towels, toilet paper, shampoo etc are really just about the same.
So how do YOU save money? How do you work at improving your family's bottom line? I shop at Goodwill, I use coupons when it's something I would ordinarily buy, I don't do impulse shopping, I don't take unnecessary trips, I wear things until they wear out, drive vehicles until THEY wear out...
I guess there are things I won't do to save, though. Walmart is one of them.
This is quite beautiful, Ami:
ReplyDelete"If you don't want people to look at you, perhaps you should ponder the Leopard... The lesson here is that if you're sporting bangle-sized holes in your earlobes and thinking you look hip, and people notice you, perhaps you're in the wrong surroundings." Yeah, do intentionally alter your appearance, and then act resentful when people have the nerve to notice. Love it. "Ponder the Leonard" should be a new catch phrase.
Feel free to use it, when it catches on be sure to give me the credit. :)
ReplyDeleteI've always been confused by people like that. First, they mutilate themselves, then they get pissed off when people notice the mutilation.
What are they trying to accomplish?
Ponder the Leopard indeed. :)
Oh, we avoid the Sprawlmart at all costs (har har). Saving money is very important to us, but I like to think there are other, more ethical ways to do so.
ReplyDeletePretty much, all that you said (no impulse purchases, using coupons when they apply to something we will actually use, wearing things out, etc.) is what we do. I've purchased many things, especially for the baby - some of which are brand new(!) - from the thrift/consignment shop on base. You can't beat $1 for a onesie or an entire baby outfit.
I've also decided to go the cloth diaper route with this baby. While this means more laundry, I understand the increase in the water bill absolutely does not outweigh the long-term savings. So even though there was an initial output of a great deal of money for supplies (diapers, cloth wipes, and other items essential for this), they should actually "pay us back" in the very first year.
My husband is quite knowledgeable about carpentry, construction in general, cars, etc. so he does his own work in the house and on the car whenever possible. Last week, he did an oil change.
For now, we are a one-car family. Thus, we are only fueling and insuring the one vehicle. I walk my errands. Will we be able to remain a one-car family when we return to the the U.S.? Sadly, I do not think so. However, I always make sure there is an insurance discount for a vehicle that is not utilized over a certain mileage. So we will use one vehicle for the majority of our driving, and one for local driving.
That's just a few examples, and I do apologize for rambling - I'm exhausted after a weekend of seeing London.
Gosh, that's really exciting... 'seeing London' just.. tossed out there like it's no big thing. :) Love it.
DeleteWe are a one car family, too. One of the few benefits Eric has retained while working for this company is the use of a company truck. So we only own one car. Matt has his own, but that was his purchase, his credit etc. Handled the transaction himself. :)
Eric is very handy, too. We have a gorgeous landscape, professionally done, by his hands. He built a shed in the back yard for about a thousand dollars, but to have one that size built for us would have been closer to ten. All the little plumbing repairs and other things he has done have saved us more than once.
But as the main bill payer/thinker about what we're spending and why, I focus on the smaller things. Conserving power by turning off lights. We don't have a furnace, we have a wood stove. I buy 99% of my clothing second hand.
And come and ramble any time. Sometimes the comment section is more fun than the blog. :)
I love the whole post and agree on so much but "ponder the leopard" is my favorite line! I may need to borrow that
ReplyDeleteMy son worked as a pharmacy tech for 4 years at Sprawlmart, so I know how employees are treated.
ReplyDeleteHmmm ponder the leopard. I like it.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to save money too, but I hate clipping coupons, price matching at Walmart makes me want to vomit, and we are a 1 car family but I don't know how much longer I can do it!! I'm working now, we should have extra money, but alas we DON'T! Oh yeah because the more you have the more you spend seems to be a problem for us.....
I have a theory that when you're scraping along, barely keeping it together, and then your income changes for the better, all the things you denied yourself/your family suddenly CAN happen. Or at least some of them. And *poof* the new-found fortune is spent.
DeleteAt least it works that way in my life.
My money saving tip. Buy vegetables when they're local and in season. They should be at their cheapest, freshest and have the best flavour.
ReplyDeleteOur diets should be about what's in season and not what we fancy :-)
Good point... not sure if I will ever learn that one, though. When I want it, I want it.
Delete:)
Only buy cream and milk at Wally. Buy marked down meat at one of our few Albertsons stores on Monday morning. Own one car with 184,000 miles on it. Haven't had a car payment since 1984. After three decades in the car business, the only thing that excites me about any vehicle is a large gross profit. Live in a cheap apartment in the "slum" end of town. Landlord knows when he raises the rent I'm gone.
ReplyDeleteRaised my two youngest as a single parent. Had to be frugal. Never lost the habit.
Frugal is my middle name. It's by necessity, of course, but I'm okay with that.
DeleteThere's a trendy little movement toward :::gasp::: NOT BUYING things we don't need. They have hundreds of members nationwide... making me go, aww, you're frugal, isn't that precious?
I found the milk and stuff at Sprawlmart to be just as expensive as everywhere else in town. Add in the gas it took to go there and then elsewhere and it's definitely no bargain.
Looked up my rant about 'The Compact'. It's three years old. And I still think those people are dipshits.
Deletehttp://amimental.blogspot.com/2009/12/aww-youre-frugal-isnt-that-precious.html
Groceries seem to cost a lot more in Canada than they do in the US. I find I make a lot of things from scratch to compensate. I bake bread, cookies only come from a box if there is a Girl Guide on the side and there is not a lot of pre-packed stuff like granola bars in our cupboards.
ReplyDeleteWe try to fix broken things as much as possible instead of throwing them out and our vehicles are used (my van was bought at an insurance auction)
I grocery shop at the store that saves us the most money overall, which means I bag my own stuff but I don't mind. I won't drive all over town to three different stores just to save three cents on laundry detergent here and a buck on a box of cereal there. Fuel is expensive!
I try to plan our menus a week at a time so I don't waste food and make multiple trips to the store every week.
We don't compromise on meat. I buy bulk freezer packs from a local butcher so I probably pay a bit more, but it is worth it to support local farmers and have really delicious meat on the table.
By cutting corners here and there we are able to live on one income so I get to make lunch for my kids every day and run our family the way I want to :-)
We have an Aldi here, which is super-cheap for a lot of stuff I'm not picky about. Dried beans, rice, frozen vegetables, dairy, and fresh produce. They also have a pretty large selection of frozen (farm-raised) fish and shrimp. I buy the majority of our groceries there (with a list. ALWAYS with a weekly menu and a list), and then go to another grocery store for meat and the few things I'm picky about (peanut butter, beer, and cottage cheese, mostly).
ReplyDelete