Today was parachute day. I am gradually cleaning up the back room, getting rid of things that need to be gotten rid of, giving some of my own stuff away to the school staff, filing old lesson plans... housekeeping. I keep plugging away at it hoping eventually things will be organized. This is my 4th year at this school, and getting things in order has been a goal all along.
There was a bag of parachutes that my 2nd person was to have handed out in December when I had surgery (on the knee there was 'nothing' wrong with... remember that??) and she just never got to it. Too much other stuff going on.
So we took parachutes outside today and tossed them into the beautiful fall sky for about an hour. Kids loved it. :)
I was given a supply budget for October. Actual amount doesn't matter, it's just what we're supposed to supply our programs with. We're supposed to purchase things like paper, glue sticks, paint, crafty items.
With my supply budgets, I usually try to spend a third or so on things that we won't use up... jump ropes, playground equipment, cars and trucks, toys and the rest on consumable stuff. In the beginning I tried to spend most of my budget on permanent items because when I took over, it was woefully understocked.
I took a serious look at the month and what I have planned for the kids to do. And then I emailed my supervisor and asked for the biggest stack of cheap, uncoated paper plates she could get at sprawlmart and a bottle of black acrylic paint. And told her that I don't need anything else for the month.
She's going to be shocked next month when I do the same thing.
And shocked again in December, because I have enough crafty things stockpiled and organized that I won't need to spend money on supplies then, either.
I am glad things have smoothed out a bit at work, it's always tough at the beginning of the school year to do all that needs to be done. I still have paperwork things that need to be signed by parents and some serious filing to do, but I'm starting to see a big difference.
Makes me smile.
We've been having fun with Leopold the Skeleton at work.
Right now he's
wearing a straw hat I pulled out of a box of craft stuff. I also
crocheted him a little scarf. He's creating quite a sensation as the
kids come in the morning and walk through the cafeteria on their way to
breakfast.
A lot of them stop and talk to me about him. There is
speculation about what he might wear next, ideas about whether or not
he's a boy or girl skeleton (male, according to the box he arrived in, he doesn't have a penis)
and lots of examination of his bones and comparison to their own.
Lyssa
plans to make him a ghost costume for Halloween this year, and we've
discussed things like pilgrim hats, santa hats and jewelry.
Funny
how much the kids are enjoying him. I knew they'd be interested but
adding clothing and his little informational card that Lyssa made has
given him a personality and style of his own.
In
the afternoon, my kids like to gather around the table and talk about
him and look at him. They don't stay long, but it's almost like they
have to check in with him and see how he's doing before running off to
play. They like to bend his arms and legs and try to leave him in a
funny position. I often find him with his hands crossed over his pelvic
region.
So I'm thinking about Leopold accessories. If you have
ideas, let me know. Especially things that make kids laugh. I love to
make them laugh.
Leash and stuffed dog wearing a a doggie skeleton costume? Tool belt, work boots and hard hat? Surgical mask and medical equipment?
ReplyDeleteYou could do a whole series of careers...
I love parachutes!!! GREAT fun!
ReplyDeleteNice your sup is making the $$ avail if you need it.
I would like to see a photo of Leopold. :)
ReplyDeleteI was thinking a feather boa and a nice flowered hat. You could dress "him" up for any occasion!
I'd like Leopold to have a mustache.
ReplyDeleteWhat can you do with black paint and paper plates?
You need to take photos of him in his ever-changing wardrobe!
ReplyDeleteI read this and want to be a kid in your program, that is all
ReplyDeleteI too need A VISUAL! ;0)
ReplyDeleteBlack cape (plastic garbage bag), those old fangs made of wax we chewed on as a kid.... oh what fun this is going to be. :0) (((hugs)))Pat
Got any old swim goggles? That could be cute. Anything you'd put on a snowman - hat, gloves, scarf. Hats, hats, hats. Maybe he could hold the occasional sign, "Help Me", "Bring Me Cookies", "Have a Nice Day", I'm not sure what.
ReplyDelete