Rachelle* drew this Tuesday for one of the other girls.
The little girl in the bed is saying, "What's in my room??"
The little girl in the bed is saying, "What's in my room??"

I don't usually remember my nightmares unless they're about the little girl I've dreamed of so many times before, and I am not really sure one could classify those AS nightmares, they're more like a continuing story.
I thought the drawing and idea of it were pretty apt, though.
Alyssa was at my site a little over a month ago for her interview with my company and to volunteer, since she was going to be stuck out there for the whole afternoon anyway. She sat with my kids, drew pictures to order, and as I mentioned before, challenged them to draw a little every day.
Rachelle is one of the kids who has really been practicing. Her parents bought her some expensive colored pencils and a drawing pad, and she spends time every single day with her art work. I have seen a big improvement in her abilities, but more important, she's really enjoying the whole creative process.
On Tuesday, our creativity involved different types of pasta, some pipe cleaners, and some glue and assorted bits of stuff. We made pipe cleaner people. Not everyone chose to participate, but Ariana* was really having a good time making them. Her mom came to pick her up, and she immediately regressed from the newly seven year old to about two. She stomped her feet and said, "No! I am NOT GOING and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!"
I gently reminded her to remember our rule, that if you're working on something when your mom comes to get you, you can take the things you're working on, but that when it's time to go, if you can't go without giving your mom or dad a bunch of trouble, then the next time, I won't let you work on a project.
Of course I would let them work on it, I want them to create, but I'd remind a kid that 'last time your mom came you were crabby and if you're going to do this project, you have to agree to be ready to go home when mom or dad comes to get you.' I have had to do that once or twice, and that's usually all it takes to fix the problem.
This case is special, though. Ariana is a very young seven, and I think it may take a few more repetitions and reminders for her to really get the message. I'll start by talking to her the next time I see her and reminding her that she needs to not give her mom a hard time when she comes to get her.
She's so damn cute that it's really hard to be stern. Those big brown eyes, the adorable little dimples and giggles and sense of wonder and fun... well, I'd say she's one of my favorites, but I'd have to say that about most of them. They all have something really unique and wonderful about them.
So off to bed, hoping I don't sit up later and wonder what's in MY room!!
Uh oh, that's a nightmare for sure. What's under the bed?
ReplyDeleteHow patient you are Ami!!! How great for the kids they have you.
ReplyDeleteKids are so cool when they are curious and want to learn. Other times they are cute little monkeys.
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard to be stern when you're trying not to melt. =)
ReplyDeleteAnd I am really thankful I don't remember most of my nightmares!