Followers

Thursday, March 08, 2012

KATU sucks.

Just thought I'd toss that out there. KATU is one of our local television stations. They're no better or worse than any of the other stations, but I HATE CBS and NBC, so most of the time that's where I read the news. I do NOT watch it, can't stand the breathless plastic people on camera... the "On air personalities." Ugh.

I've left comments on their website for one story or another for quite some time. 

I don't use profanity, I don't call people names, I follow the rules left for comments... and in the past few days, they've deleted several things I've posted without explanation. Just post it, and then, it's gone. *poof*
The latest was on this story:Girl Scouts stop selling cookies

Well, tonight I tried three times to post a response, and all three of them were deleted.

I think the first one was the best, unfortunately I didn't save it. I DID save the other two, however.

If you didn't want to click on the link, I'll give you the short version. Some girls in Longview have decided that they're not going to sell cookies this year because the local council is closing down their camp, and therefore the money they raise will be going to other camps etc... the nearest one being four hours away. They feel like this is a way to get the attention and the ear of their local council and that it's not fair for the money they earn to go to places so far away.

My first comment was deleted. I didn't save it.

The 2nd comment I left was this:
GSUSA makes a LOT of money from cookie sales. They can tell you the money 'stays local' but that four dollar box of cookies nets the troop approximately sixty cents. The troop is much better off if you hand them a dollar instead of buying a box of cookies. Of course one must buy at least one box of Thin Mints or Samoas.

GSUSA and council 'ask for input' from the girls, then proceed to do exactly what they'd planned in the first place most of the time.

A position working for GS pays a good salary and great benefits. Girl Scouting is no longer for the girls, it has become a very lucrative business for the people employed by them.

They keep revamping the program, making it into more of a politically correct fuzzy feel good save the planet thing and less like scouting used to be. The days of pocket knives and canoeing and hiking are receding more and more into the past.

A few years ago, the Columbia River Council decided to close and sell Camp Arrowhead in Stevenson, Washington. The outcry and protesting caused them to reconsider their position and the camp is still open.

I support these girls who have decided not to sell cookies, it gets GSUSA in the pocketbook. The only language they really understand.


That comment was deleted really fast.

So I tried again. Toned it down a bit.


A few years ago, our local council tried to close and sell Camp Arrowhead. The ensuing outcry actually got council's attention, and the camp is still open.

Hitting the organization in the pocketbook is the only way to get their attention. It's important to note that GSUSA does not exist for the girls, it's a BUSINESS. And a lucrative one. The people employed by them make a lot of money and have excellent benefits.

I wholeheartedly support the girls who have made this decision.
Good for them!

That comment lasted as long as the first one.

Not sure why, but evidently they have a position and don't want to post anything that might tell the truth?

So screw you, KATU, here's the real scoop:

Girl Scouts USA and local councils are money grubbers. I'm a capitalist, I get it.

Capitalism is okay, as long as someone doesn't practice subterfuge with regard to the money grubbing. You know. LIE about their purpose.

Girl Scouts tries to make you think that scouting exists 'for the girls' when that's not true at all. GSUSA is a corporation, and corporations exist to make a profit. They can CALL themselves non-profit, but anyone who's been involved with the organization knows better.

It's bullshit.

They exist to make money, and a great deal of the money they make is earned by the girls they supposedly exist to serve. That four dollar box of cookies really does net the troop about sixty cents, and the rest of it goes to pay for council stuff.

They pretend to ask for input from the girls, then they proceed to do exactly what they want without regard to anything but the corporate bottom line.

Evidently, that's what KATU does, too.


So, KATU. Kiss my ass. Right in the puckered up middle.
(Thought about doing a google image search for that one... haha)

10 comments:

  1. Freedom of speech??? Only the media huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!
    This was just sent to me. Seriously, you couldn't be more right. I told the Troop Leader, just last night, that instead of selling cookies next year, I'm giving the troop $100.00 directly. That's what they would get if my daughter sold 200 boxes. In time and probably money, I've spent way more than that since we starting selling the tiny boxes.
    Great post!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, I'm not sure if they even have the corporate bottom line in mind when they make their decisions. They've done the worst roll out EVER on their new product line, people are getting pissed off and leaving in droves .... I'm not sure they could crap it up more if they tried.

    I typically say all organizations exist simply to perpetuate themselves (yeah, hello unions and churches, I'm looking at you, too). In this case, though, I think some of the Powers That Be are just on some sort of weird power trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that they didn't delete some of the ignorant comments, says a lot. (future pole dancers?)

    When they come knocking on your blog, I can say I knew you when. (and they just might)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may want to complain to the head editor or parent broadcaster of the organization because those comments are in no way unreasonable. I understand that the web editor has domain over what is posted on their site, but it sounds as if they have overstepped the intent of the position a bit? They may need a reminder from a higher-up that encouraging discourse is the HIGHEST and BEST use for journalism! Hang in there! W.C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't buy GS cookies for this very reason. We do occasionally give a buck or two for the troop that is selling, though. The number of cookies for the price you pay has gotten entirely too expensive. Especially when you can get twice as many generic Thin Mints at Walmart for a buck. I'd rather get a package of them and give the extra to the girls.

    And I'm honestly shocked that your tv station removes comments like that. You wouldn't believe what's allowed on some of our local stations' sites. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just an FYI. I just went to the site. I didn't read the article. Just the comments. And I'm pretty sure the very last comment listed when I scrolled down was yours:

    AmiM· 10 hours ago
    GSUSA and local councils are a BUSINESS. They're not there to serve the girls, they don't worry too much about what the girls actually want, although they pretend to 'seek input' from their members.

    It's an all volunteer organization until you get to council level. They're paid well. Part of where that cookie money goes.

    This is the only way to get their attention. I support these kids 100%.

    Also, there's a commentor by the name of snugglebritches whose comment said almost exactly what you were saying in the above comments. So at least the information is out there. But wow that they removed the comments at all. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad when a news organization avoids the truth. Just when I thought I couldn't get more disgusted with our society.

    For what its worth, I have several Girl Scouts, ages 10 to 13 who would agree wholeheartly with your comments. About the girls my Aunt Fanny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always hated cookie season with a passion when my daughter was in Girl Scouts, 4 years total. I knew all of what you said plus I didn't like how turned the girls competitive against EACH OTHER. Of course the girls with two working parents in big offices or girls belong to big churches etc made all the big quotas for the cool prizes. Kids like mine with limited social ways to sell cookies were screwed and like hell will I send my kid door to door with strangers. NO WAY. Over time I just gave up and started ordering a few for ourselves and my MIL, and writing a check for whatever minimum was required to meet the requirement for whatever it was they were saving up to do as a troop. It was much less stressful. I just don't believe in the whole cookie bullshit and the last year we were in it, 2010, I was pretty fed up with GS in general with all the new changes rolling in. My daughter hated those new ridiculous journey books. Ack, see, you got me started! LOL I did look for a new troop for her in our recent move purely for social reasons but am rather relieved we didn't find one to join.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?