DISASTER HAS FALLEN!!!
I. broke. my. goddamn. whisker. glasses.
The super, heavy duty ugly-assed industrial brown pair I kept on the bathroom counter for those elusive stray eyebrows that keep growing outa my chin.
This is important, people. Don't scoff. Without them, I will be driven to distraction. I'll find a little pokey thing in my chin, I'll know it's there, and I won't be able to stop messing with it, but I won't be able to see it to yank it out without my glasses.
Eric isn't home right now, he's off watching the Stupid Bowl with some guys he knows, so I can't ask him for the electrical tape.
The man who always has my back... and sometimes my front?
NOT HERE WHEN I NEED HIM.
My GOD what's next?
My new assistant, Michelle*, goes for electrolysis. She said the chickie who pulls her eyebrows etc told her that pulling whiskers out is a bad idea, that it "releases hormones" which only make more hairs grow.
Sorry, but that doesn't pass the common sense test for me. I think that if you pull them out yourself, it means you're not paying someone else to do it. And that someone else would rather have your money than tell you the truth.
And if that's all it takes to make hair grow, why is Rogaine still around? Why is the Hair Club still making money?
I think we can certainly find parallels to that idea in other aspects of our lives, yes?
Doesn't matter, since if I find one I won't be able to yank it out.
:-D
I had grand plans for the day on Sunday, but kept getting derailed.
First, I made myself get out of bed about 9, even though my usual operating mode on a day that I don't have to go somewhere is to sleep or at least try to until about 10. I get so tired during the week that it's like a little gift I give myself.
Got up and sat owlishly in front of my computer for awhile, catching up with everyone's blogs and my emails.
Occasional hugs were given as people wandered past or I got up and drifted into the living room. We're a huggy family. Kids are all growed up but still affectionate. One more point of pride for me, actually.
Eric hadn't decided yet if he was going to the stupid bowl party, and was weighing pros and cons. Lyssa and I had salmon for dinner on Saturday evening, so that was my breakfast and lunch for the day. I ate that around 11, I think.
Managed a shower, a couple or three loads of laundry and to sweep up some unknown spooge from in front of the refrigerator. I hate that, having a clean spot on the floor.
Eric made some salsa, planned to stop at the local grocery store and grab some tortilla chips and a couple plastic bowls for it, and took off about 2:45.
I conducted the science experiment I'm planning this week Elephant's Toothpaste and decided that the kid-friendly version isn't nearly as much fun as the adults only one.

I messed with it a bit, and have decided to get a large pan from my oven drawer and use four small bottles at once, each one colored with a different color of food coloring. Hopefully it will be a fun thing for the kids. Messy but safe.
The adult version of the experiment looks like a blast... literally.
But potassium iodide isn't a non-toxic ingredient, and when you're working with kids in a school especially, that's a requirement. Also, I want them to be able to touch the resulting foam we make, and using yeast as the catalyst will ensure that they can touch it, find out that it's warm (giving me the opportunity to talk about chemical reactions that cause heat and teach them a huge word for an elementary kid, exothermic.)
I'm considering getting potassium iodide and doing the experiment again at home just because I never really grew up and I like things that sort of blow up/expand/foam/make a scene.
I didn't get all the things found that I need to haul into work before Wednesday. Hell, I didn't even get all the things I needed for Monday. And that's gonna have to happen before bedtime, because otherwise, I won't have time to pee between shifts. A recipe for disaster.
There is still laundry going around in the dryer.
Still a load in the washer waiting for the dryer to finish.
I'm glad I don't have to go down to the river and bash my clothes on the rocks to get them clean. I'm also glad I didn't live during the days when people bathed once a week or once a month whether they needed it or not. Ick. A shower is actually my substitute for coffee, since I don't do coffee. I get up, stagger into the bathroom, and lean helplessly against the wall in the shower while hot water pours in my face until I can stand upright.
Takes me about 25 minutes to get from shower to dried, dressed and tying my shoes at the kitchen table. So I have that cushion of about 20 minutes to finish getting my eyeballs in and manage to be awake on the road rather than going on autopilot.
Last Wednesday morning on my way to work was coon day. I saw three of them crossing the road (against the light, of course) near a busy intersection, and two more crossing about a mile later. It always makes me sad when I see one lying next to the road. Those little guys and possums, too. I hate it that little critters like that get hit by cars. :)
So I am going to get the things ready for Monday. We talked last week about disguises and everyone is supposed to bring his or her own. They're going to make an ID card, complete with fingerprint and photo. Lyssa and I went to the dollar store and found the things I'd need for that.
I have bunches of activities planned, but I haven't finished writing the actual lesson plan we're doing, so I need to manage that in my spare time on Monday morning, too.
So I will TRY to take some photos that I can show you with my camera. I don't photograph the kids, obviously, but some of the things we do.
I'm looking forward to all of it, but apprehensive because when I plan a big thing like this week, I want everything to be perfect. My lists have lists.
Okay. Off.
I'm with you on that shower thing, I don't do coffee, either! That elephant toothpaste thing looks awesome, I don't blame you for wanting to play with it, it looks kinda' irresistable. You are just brimful full of fun ideas for your kids to learn, I'll bet they go skipping into school every Monday!
ReplyDeleteI love it. I am so glad those children have you. And I am super glad you never grew up. What fun would that be? : )
ReplyDeleteThat science thing looks cool! WOuld have loved to learn science that way in school
ReplyDelete1. One of my fears is that when I'm old and in a nursing home I'll discover a whisker on my chin when I rub it with my finger, and I'll be totally helpless to actually pull it out. And the nurses won't understand what I'm upset about. I've noticed, though, that having plucked them myself for years and years, they're slowing down. Sort of like ladies who overpluck their eyebrows for years and years, and then can't get them to grow in.
ReplyDelete2. If you get the potassium iodide, I really really want to come over. As soon as I saw that one I wanted to do it.
3. Hmm, I wonder if I should do a bit of a unit like this in co-op science? I can't wait to see what all activities you do, so I can see how I can use them here.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I got wise in my old age.
ReplyDeleteBought myself a tool box, filled it with things I always have to ask hubby for ( and he sends me on a Snipe Hunt ):0( My tool box includes, WD40, electical,masking and Gorilla tape. ;0)
One place......everything I need and Noooooooooooooooooooooooo frustration!
Have accumulated more than my small tool box could handle and son Randy bought me a BIGGER BOX. :0)
Quite the experiment there!
(((hugs)))Pat
So...Since this is elephant toothpaste you'll be making, have you thought of making a cardboard toothpaste tube to go conceal the little tube you'll be mixing things in? Well.'cause that would be cool.
ReplyDeleteThat photo looks like a lime and orange sherbet explosion, or that someone left the ice cream dispenser handle, in the on position.
ReplyDeleteI think when I lost my eyebrows, they must have fallen out and transplanted themselves to my chin! I have to use a magnifying mirror for anything up close!
I've been catching up:
ReplyDeleteI hope all goes well with the rest of your hearing. Glad you have your own attorney.
Was last month's surgery a success, and how's your knee now?
I'm SO HAPPY the biopsy was clear. Aren't those the mist incredible words in the English language? I SO understand!