Followers

Saturday, November 27, 2010

No shopping...

I did spend money on Friday. $12.00.
Had to ship a couple little packages.

Finally got a couple tie dyed items sent to their intended recipients.

All that required was a trip to the post office, a little excursion into my wallet for a twenty, and about fifteen minutes of my time.

Did I go shopping since I was out anyway?
HELL no!!!

There is not a deal in the universe good enough to get me to brave the crowds that gather for the few 'doorbuster' items.

I did read a few stories on local news and on CNN about the feeding frenzy.

One duo waited in line at Best Buy starting at 3? AM (too lazy to go back and look at the story). They got what they came for. Went out and PUT IT IN THEIR CAR IN A CROWDED PARKING LOT and went shopping somewhere else.

I'm sure you can write the ending. But not here. So I will.
Someone broke into their car and stole their stuff.

Another story talked about people having their cars towed from a parking lot that was not marked as for one particular store (T-mobile). One guy said he'd have to return his merchandise to pay for the tow fees.

Another lovely lady cut in line at a ToysRUs. And threatened to shoot people who protested.

Really?

I think there's something seriously wrong here, folks.

My Matt works retail. Most of his shifts are spent in the company of the other ghouls who work the graveyard shift.

They all shuffle around stocking shelves and occasionally growling at each other. Most of them can at least grunt to communicate. They don't usually like having to talk to customers. They go in, do their jobs, and are out of the store by 8:00 or so in the mornings.

On Friday morning, the day after Thanksgiving, though, they all have to deal with the public.

The store buys 2 of a few huge, big ticket items, and 300 people come to the store to buy them.

It's a gimmick, folks.

The store loses money on those items, which it makes up by selling other things to you at a much higher price than you really want to spend.

I'm sure you already knew that. But you can't say that to the 40th guy who asks you where the item is. So you have to say that you're sold out.

That customer will not be happy, but the corporate people who make those marketing decisions are snug in their beds at home sleeping off the excess of Turkey Thursday. They don't get the fallout.

Matt was just a teeny bit tired when he arrived home from work on Friday morning. Now if I hadn't already planned to avoid shopping, his stories about the wild-eyed frenzy were more than enough to make me decide to stay home.


And that was before I started reading the news stories.

::shudder::

So did you go out shopping?
Did you get it all done?
Did anyone threaten to shoot you?

I know some people shop online, can get great deals and manage to get all their holiday shopping done in a day or so.

Not me.

Since we're being very careful about money this year, that's not happening in my house, although for some reason, I don't feel as Scrooge-like as I have the past few years.

I still look like him, though.

Speaking of funny looking... in other news, we had a zombie egg show up at our Thanksgiving dinner, but he wiped the snotty look off his face pretty fast when we smashed him into the deviled egg mix.


That's one egg bastard that will never terrorize US again!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:27 AM

    Yes indeed.. I braved those lines once, many years ago and nevah again. Like you I am no fool and caught on to the hook too..
    Plus, money is a wee bit scarce this year so hey, no need to brave the madness anyway..

    Poor egg.. was he good though?

    Happy Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My trip was to Joann for fabric. How lame is that? It was crowded but they were all grandmas buying fabric and accessories for their Cricut machines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit the jewery store. No lines,or fighting necessary. Unless you include my kids... but they fight over everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAH!! love the egg :)
    NO, I did NOT, nor will NOT get out on Black Friday to purchase anything...although that is a lsight lie becuase last year I did it for the first and LAST time because a store had a lap top computer on sale and 'Santa' saved over 600 bucks...it was worth it, but NEVER AGAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went shopping on Friday, but since I live in Canada I did not have to fight an angry mob. Black Friday baffles and terrifies me, quite frankly.
    I do 90% of my Holiday shopping online now. No crowds, you can do it in your jammies, and the stuff comes right to your door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol on the egg! ha! I actually DID venture out this year for the first time in around 7 years. I got to a store and it was so cold that everyone stayed in their cars til one jackass got out then we all had to and get in line outside, lol. But it was friendly and nice. I got everything I needed and I'm finished and wrapped. (this year we made drastic cutbacks and it's AWESOME!) I love simply holidays...even when I do go out on BF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops, sorry, I entered my other blog instead of the one you visit. This comment will have my URL that you know...lol. Geez. So both these comments are me, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Loved your "rotten" egg!

    I did shopping on line and got in a some door buster deals right at my kitchen table!

    I did go to Wal-mart in the afternoon. No crowds and everything was picked over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went at 10:30 pm for the Midnight sale at Walmart, I now have 3 things I want to take back, but I went armed with a list and forbade myself from getting anything else, no matter how good the deal was. I made a new friend who has a son that is the same age as my oldest and hopefully we will get some play dates out of the deal too....

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't so much have Black Friday here, but Boxing day is a huge sales day.I hear.wouldn't know ,I am always home ,feeling over fed ,reading my Christmas book .You couldn't pay me to go out in that mess! I feel truly sorry for the sstaff that have to deal with it

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, yeah.
    We drove by Best Buy at 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving on our way home. There were people camping out in lawn chairs and sleeping bags in the pouring rain. It made me so sad. It's just stuff. What's so important that you would risk your health (and really, your safety too) for more stuff?

    That being said, I do live a charmed life. Money is really tight here, too, with J being laid off again. We have lots of little things to open, and on Black Friday many places had netbooks cheap. I sent J out and he scored one. We'll give that to all of the kids from us, then the rest of the smaller stuff will be from Santa. Thankfully, my kids are easy to please that way. What we're giving them will be plenty. The netbook will be a thrill, since they're not allowed to touch my laptop or desktop computers, which are both dedicated work machines (if they get broken, I lose income).

    Blah, blah, blah. Recap: Yes, I shopped, but I was lucky enough to have a husband willing to do it for me. We got what we needed. No one was harmed. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was out at 2 am but not to buy anything, we had a bake sale at the NEX to raise money for the Children's Christmas party for Ian's command.. Once it gets cold enough people will pay anything for a cup of hot coco.. This is my LAST year running the show for this party. YEAH ME!

    I did shop on line and got some great deals. They had all video games buy 2 get 1 free..

    If we lived in the state I would be hold up in my house eating leftovers and sleeping on sale day..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have NEVER gone to a Black Friday sale. Target has a 40" flat screen I would have bought in a minute if I could have gotten it online. No way I am camping out at midnight to save even $200. Even considering I am broke most of the time!

    People are crazy I tell you. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?