Followers

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

so maybe I *am* changing jobs part 2

One of the site directors I work with had a baby in the spring. She was on maternity leave until the end of the school year, and chose to stay home over the summer.

Now that the school year is upon us (less than a month away) she has decided that she wants to stay home with her little boy rather than return to work full time.

I applaud her decision because I think if it's at all possible, a parent should be home with the baby.

I'm also applauding because I get her job. Sunshine called me Tuesday morning and offered me the position.

On the hit side, it's full time.
Eligible for benefits, sick leave, vacation time, holiday pay. I'm not shoving someone out of the way to co-direct, and the location itself is a good one. We have our own locked storage room and our space is not invaded by any other programs after school.

On the flip side... it's full time.
Split shift, conference calls, all the responsibility on my shoulders and the aggravation of trying to cover shifts when I or someone else can't make it to work.

So I'll be home less and tired more.
I'll have a larger paycheck.
More headaches.

I'll also be able to do more science experiments and unschooly stuff with the kids. Not that I was unable to do those things before, but when it's someone else's site, that someone else is in charge and has her own ideas of how the day should be organized.

So we shall see.
I'm hoping it will be mostly fun.

The site teacher assigned to that location is someone I have worked with before, and I like her quite a bit. She's excellent with the kids (very kind and calm) and pleasant to hang out with, so that won't be a problem. She's been working at that school for some time, and is therefore familiar with the kids, the program, and where everything is stored, which is a definite plus.

So now I'm back to looking for Legos, although I've been continuing to stockpile things all summer. I knew eventually I'd be offered a site, and I wanted to be ready.

I just went to eBay and bought A Buttload Of Bionicles. (In my mind, that's how it will always be referred to... capital letters and all). For a woman who hasn't worked all summer, it was a fair chunk of change, but to the site director who knows it will keep at least 10 boys busy for most of a school year... worth every little penny.

Besides, I didn't actually pay for them.

I put them on my credit card.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:58 AM

    Congratulations!

    A buttload of bionicles?! James is swooning with jealousy. Good thing I don't let him read blogs. :-)

    I hope the headaches are minimal and the fun rewards great. Not to mention the nealth insurance, which you seem to be needing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:58 AM

    Make that "h"ealth insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not pass it up. TWENTY complete Bionicles in their little cans as well as 2.5 lbs of spare Bionicle parts for 65 bucks?

    Just couldn't.

    I can already feel the peace and quiet as boys delve in and ignore their natural urges to chase each other and hit their friends. :)

    I'm excited about the insurance. Hub's job does provide us with some coverage, but it sucks, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! A larger paycheck can't suck! Bionicles ROCK! Girls might like them too! This sounds like a good fit for you! You're are so much fun for those kids to be around! I hope you won't have any headaches and you'll find the strength to be the Wonder Woman that you are! :)

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new job! Maybe your health insurance will be better than what you have now. That would be cool. I know those kids will be lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! They are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!
    My kids love Bionicles. I am sure you will have a great year..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the new job! I'm excited for you. And, LOLOL aren't credit cards great? I love getting free stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...its not real money if its on a credit card!

    I tell myself that every time I click 'place order' at Amazon! Kim

    BTW...its to hot, I think I'm melting...and I chose today to bake bread, what was I thinkin'??? Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll let you know if I am looking for anything I can't find at the library. Thanks!

    So, how are you going to keep up with the assloads of work and life now??? (Maybe you can just play hooky with the buttload of Bionicles?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie5:58 PM

    Congratulations on the newish job - I know you'll be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?