I'm sure you have read about this already... Hunt for accidental millionaires focuses on Hong Kong - CNN.com but if you haven't, go read it.
I took the time to read the comments after the story, too. I'm amazed at how many people said they'd take the money and run. What the hell is the matter with people?
I don't get it.
No, I am not a Christian.
But that doesn't keep me from being a moral person and always trying to do the right thing. (and at the risk of sending myself off into rant-land, I know damn well that being a Christian doesn't always mean that a person is moral or good. I've met too many of the other variety.)
I confess that if a bank suddenly deposited that much money in my account, I'd regret having to give it back, but I would never even think of keeping it.
I'm mercenary enough to hope I'd get some kind of reward, but also realistic. I doubt seriously that I'd actually get a reward, other than the conviction that I'd done the right thing.
So what would you do?
Well, the moral point here would be that I would not like to profit unduly from someone else's mistake. Think of buying a car you never could afford - then, as you drive it, think of how the only reason you can drive it is because of some idiot's mistake. To a dignified person, that would be repulsive. To the mindlessly materialistic riff-raff, maybe this distinction is lost on them.
ReplyDeleteWhat? How can this be? You're not a Christian but you're still a moral and honest person? Impossible.
ReplyDeleteI would return it . . . but first, I would frame my ATM receipt with the balance showing, and stare at it for a while. Then, yes, I would return it . . and ya know what, I'm not a Christian either. I know that it comes as a shock to some that you can be an atheist and still have morals, but it's true. Wrong and right do not necessarily come attached with a deity. I guess, though, that if these people worshipped the god of Money, taking the money and running would be expected?
ReplyDeleteA customer gave me an extra $10 bill when paying for her purchase. I could have kept it since no one was watching me but I automatically gave it back to her. It was the right thing for me to do. I like sleeping at night!! ;)
ReplyDeleteNow if I stumbled upon, let's say, drug money or bad guy's cash and I could get away with it and keep my life, I'd keep it. I think so anyway. We really need it. I haven't read the story you linked to yet. Maybe that'll change my mind?
Hugs!!
I'd like to think I'd return it without any hesitation . . . but I'm sure I'd return it with LOTS of hesitation. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI feel bad for the bank teller/clerk/person who entered the extra zeros. One error, admittedly big, and I'm sure their job is gone. That these people took it and ran I'm sure didn't help.
ReplyDeleteThere are good and bad and honest and dishonest in Christians and whatnot alike. Which is very sad in my opinion. I have been not charged for an item (I accidentally picked up 2 items that were hooked together), it was under $1 and when I got home and found out, I took it and the receipt back and explained and gave the item back to the store. I'm pretty sure I'd have a heart attack, and then I'd let the bank know (after e-mailing my husband so he could see the error and laugh himself silly)...
ReplyDeleteWell, if it happened to me, I'd have a good laugh and see how long it took the bank to realise their mistake before they took it back lol!
ReplyDeleteClosing your business and leaving the country is very short sighted and incredibly naive; but in these economic times I can understand the couple being tempted. I just can't comprehend how they thought they'd get away with it!
Shirl x
HA! Serves 'em right!
ReplyDeletehttp://consumerist.com/5268786/new-zealand-bank-error-fugitives-foiled-by-facebook-status-update?skyline=true&s=x