Until a few days ago, I did not.
Then, I got a package in the mail. It was sent to my family by Sabrina at Third Culture Kids R Mine!!!!
There were so many cool things in it I don't even know where to start.
I did not take pictures before everything got scattered throughout the house, but you can see a picture that looks sort of like the one I would have taken at the blog of another lucky Sabrina package recipient... TWO MOMS' HOMESCHOOL: Hurray For SabrinaT!!!!!
One of the items is called Shimekazari.
Funny, my spell check thinks that is not spelled correctly. Shimekazari is a Japanese traditional wreath for the New Year.
You're supposed to hang it over, next to, or on your front door to bring good luck for the coming year. It's made from rice straw, and has other things with it, each of which symbolizes something.
I did a Google image search and found this one.

I can hear you asking why I don't photgraph the one I have and post it, and I probably will, but it's 8:00 at night and I don't want to go out in the rain to take a picture. You'll just have to make do with this one.
Also in the package were stickers (Hello, Kitty) soy candies, caramel tea, all kinds of other different candies (all in packages I can't read...) disposable toothbrushes and chopsticks.
In an IM conversation with Sabrina the night I got the package she told me what I was supposed to do with the wreath AND that we were supposed to eat our New Year meal with chopsticks. Lyssa didn't eat our dinner with us, so she did not try them, and Eric prefers a fork.
Matt and I both ate our dinner with them, though. Now I have to say that we did not eat a traditional meal... we had chicken breast cubed and sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, served with alfredo sauce and rotini noodles... but it was darn tasty all the same. And while I ate one big noodle or one chunk of chicken at a time, I decided that eating with chopsticks makes you work a little harder for your dinner.
Sabrina, when you asked for my address, I figured you were going to send me a card. Color me surprised, and thank you bunches!!
Now I'm trying to figure out what I can send you for your kids that won't be just extra baggage you have to get rid of next time you move.
::Pondering:::
What a great gift to receive; some people are just so lovely!
ReplyDeleteum, I will take a Cherry Lime soda from Sonic! ha,ha...
ReplyDeleteWe have ours hanging on our door as well, and most days we eat with chopsticks. (OK, the boys and Ian more then me)...
Isn't the wreath a trip? We hung ours on the door too and yes we did eat our black-eyed peas with the chopsticks. Baby Boy and Mom #2 really USED the chopsticks and I sort of stabbed at mine and hoped for the best.
ReplyDeleteI think using chopsticks will be on my next diet plan . . . after a while I was all worn out and most of my food was still on my plate.
Ta da! I'm thin again, LOL.
Man, Sabrina, you've been playing Santa all over. I feel so connected with everyone now that we all have the same wreath! We're pretty sorry with chopsticks here, but we're going to give them a try on Andy's b-day (the 20th).
ReplyDeleteAren't Bloggy friends the best? You are so lucky!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome gifts!!
Want to send her a guinea pig or two? LOL!!
Hugs!!