Followers

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hot. Grumpy. But I did get another day off.

I got an email yesterday from the mother of the girl who decided to go home on Saturday night. Part of the reason she wanted to leave is that two girls in the troop were giving her a hard time. I caught the two of them rolling their eyes at each other while she was talking to them excitedly, and mentioned to them after she left that it wasn't very polite to do that, and I knew about one of the incidents (after the fact) but the rest of it was a surprise to me.

I also feel bad, because after I got the email, I talked to Alyssa to see if she had noticed any of it. She had. She didn't come talk to me about it because she said it didn't seem like a really big deal. She knows my policy about trying to stay out of things unless I see them escalating beyond what I like or I'm asked to step in.
I wish she had come to me.

I wish I had known what was going on, too. I feel bad that I was not able to monitor everything that was going on everywhere, although the mom assures me that she doesn't place blame anywhere... either with me or the two girls who were picking on her daughter, and that her daughter is fine and not upset at all now. None of the incidents mentioned were huge, but when you add being away from home, seven years old and plagued by anxiety and being a little quirky anyway, well, she got overwhelmed.

If we were continuing as a troop, it would definitely be 'take people aside and lecture time' at our next meeting. I'm not pleased that the youngest person in our troop felt bullied and would rather have gone home than stay for our last ever outing.


It's gonna be 100 today. That's hot. Very hot for this area. At 11 tonight, the weather jerk says it will still be 85 degrees. Have I mentioned that I hate the heat?

The good thing about today is, I don't have to go to work.
I was supposed to work yesterday (field trip day.) I went in, asked Sunshine, "Do you really need me?" and explained about my feet.

You see, the weekend of standing really killed my feet. I have troubles with them anyway, but this was really bad. Percocet bad. If you've been reading here long, you know how I hate taking that shit. HATE it. Was desperate enough to take some anyway when I got home on Sunday.

Saturday night, while we were still on our outing, it took nearly an hour after we went to bed before my feet stopped hurting enough for me to sleep. I did not have anything strong with me (couldn't have taken it even if I had, since I was supposed to be the responsible party.. ha) and the aspirin/excedrin just wasn't cutting it. I thought that if I uncovered my feet and looked at them in the dark, I'd probably be able to see them glowing brighter and dimming in rhythm with their throbbing.


Had my feets adjusted on Tuesday, which helped a lot, but they were still awfully sore yesterday. Walking is not a problem, I can walk all day long. But standing... oh my goodness. I rented some crutches in anticipation of the field trip yesterday, thinking that I could use them to help me while standing around.

Sunshine told me to go home, that they had it covered. It was good. Another day to help the feet heal a bit. Another day of aspirin and mostly relaxin'. I stayed off my feet as much as possible.

So the only day I'm scheduled to work this week is tomorrow, Friday. For three hours. Not helpful on the paycheck, but excellent for my attitude and general happiness.

Today, Matt and I are running out early to get an external hard drive for this computer. We discovered the other day that we have used nearly all the memory in this one! There was not even enough memory left to delete programs!

(I've mentioned before that I know just enough about computers to be dangerous. I bet you believe me now, don't you?)

After dumping a bunch of files (one at a time... s-l-o-w...) we had enough memory to delete some programs. We'll get rid of even more junk after I go through my pictures.


After we go out early, we're going to come home and sit hard by the AC. I only have a small window unit for the living room. I open all the doors and windows early in the morning, then close them when it starts to warm up a bit, and turn on the little AC.

We close up the rest of the house, keep the lights off, and don't run laundry or use the stove or oven.

I'm doing a little cleaning today, too. Kitchen table is piled high with stuff left from this weekend, and the debris that collects there all the time even when we're not going somewhere.

I once took a class in time management (paid for by the company I worked for... who has time for shit like that otherwise?).

I don't remember most of it, as anyone who knows how I spend my time can probably tell, but I do remember the adage, Put it away, not down.

Evidently that part of the lesson did not reach me.


edited to add:

Out of random curiosity, I looked to see what's bringing people to my blog this week.

::sigh::

I will never be thought of as a greatly respected literary genius, I don't think.

Here's what I found:

Num Perc.Search Term

114.29%desert with fruit mashmellows

114.29%how do you deal with pain in the ass sister in laws

114.29%cletoris

114.29%mental dr

114.29%barkdust pitchfork

114.29%why is it wrong to f you own hot sister

114.29%i waited 5 days to call her

1. desert? mashmellows? Interesting that even spelled incorrectly, it leads to my blog.

2. Okay, well that one is straightforward. Except I really don't know how to deal with her, I just don't spend time with her whenever possible.

3. Cletoris. Ah, Cletoris. Always put into a search field by a perv who can't spell. Everyone knows that Cletoris is actually the plural of Cletus and has nothing to do with anything feminine. Cletus lived across the street. Moved. And left a mess. Which I haven't added pictures of to this blog. Yet.

4. Mental dr
Yeah, that's me.

5. Barkdust pitchfork
Huh?

6. 'f'?? Fry? find? follow? flip?

7. I am totally lost with that one. Ideas?

5 comments:

  1. We have had some similar things happen in our little GS troop. There is one girl who is just completely off-kilter with the other girls. Does not like anything they like: dolls, horses, sewing, you name it. It is a struggle, but they are all learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the little girl is ok. It's really hard on a outing for a 7 year old anyways.
    I'm so sorry about your feet! I wished I had advice, but I have major feet problems also and too scared to go to a foot Dr. I have calluses and something that grows with a core. I have walked on the side of my foot for so many years that my toes are all messed up. I was told they would have to do surgery to get the core out and brake my toes to fix them. I don't think so!!!!
    We have had a relief on the heat, but looking at the weather, it is not going last long.
    How people find your blog with what you wrote? I have no idea!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I dread the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. Can I hire someone to pretend to be me?
    All in all sounds like you had a GREAT TIME! Hope you feet get better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:21 PM

    Too bad about the little one wanting to leave and for that reason. I hope your feet are feeling better now. I hate the aches and pains that are now creeping in as I age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:37 PM

    My name is Monica Stone and i would like to show you my personal experience with Percocet.

    I am 35 years old. Have been on Percocet for 7 days now. It did help the pain but the side effects weren't worth it. I'd rather have the pain.

    I have experienced some of these side effects-
    nausea, very itchy, racing heart, anxiety, flashing lights(almost hallucinogenic?), weird dreams, tiredness

    I hope this information will be useful to others,
    Monica Stone

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?