Followers

Saturday, May 31, 2008

So where am I supposed to leave my kids?

Yesterday afternoon, one of the moms came to pick up her boys and was a little grumpy. It wasn't really directed at me, but I got to hear it since I was conveniently close.

School gets out on June 11th. That's a Wednesday. On Thursday and Friday, our company is not offering a program anywhere. We're using those days to set up our site for summer program.

This means that people who are counting on us to take care of their children are going to have to make other arrangements.

To say she was not thrilled would be a fair statement.
"Well what am I supposed to do with my kids?" she asked indignantly. "I still have to work!"

I said that I wasn't sure what other families were doing for daycare that day.

"Well who do I talk to about this? This is ridiculous!"

I gave her a card with the main office number on it.

I get her point. If one has chosen to put a child in school/daycare, then it's a real pain in the ass when your regular arrangements fall through and you're scrambling to find care. You want a safe place to leave your kid.

Now the way I see it, there are many people on our staff that will not be working over the summer. With only one site for care, the number of people necessary to work is small. I'll be working, but I'm the only one who is not a site director, and the only one who just wants part time hours. I'll work about 15 hours a week, which works just fine for me.

Some of the people who won't be working will find other jobs for summer, and most of them will probably not return in the fall, leaving all sorts of positions open and the company scrambling to cover.

The point of all that is that it would probably be really easy to open one school site for those two days and have more than enough people to cover the care for that day. I can't think of a reason why the company would choose NOT to, actually.

But that's why they make the big bucks and I'm just a babysitter, right?

In other news, my left eye got scratched somehow when I rubbed it this morning (women rub their eyes because they don't have balls to scratch) and it's driving me nuts. (No pun intended).

I have some laundry to do, and some filing.
Woohoo.
Oh. And grocery shopping.
The life of a domestic goddess.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure glad I have balls to scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here they have what is called fill in care. To cover the 2 days between school ending and Camp Adventure begining. Maybe a good idea would be for the mother to have back up care already planned?
    I'm sorry about your balls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd rather rub eyes than scratch balls - but that probably is a whole different story!

    Hope your eye sorts itself out soon. Childcare organisations really are a law unto themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:24 PM

    Funny about the eyes to rub, not the scratch though. I think it is odd they are not offering care for those days too.

    ReplyDelete

Would it kill you to comment?