Lots of press coverage and even more blog coverage about this little guy. He's 5 years old, and his teacher brought him to the front of the classroom, encouraged the rest of the class to say what they didn't like about him.
Some of the adjectives chosen were 'disgusting' and 'annoying'
They then voted him out of the classroom.
By the mother's own admission, he has some behavior issues. Dealing with things like that is really hard. I have only dealt with smaller issues with my work kids, but I can see getting aggravated. We have one who actually exhibits some signs of Asperger's. Not that I'm a trained professional, I just read a lot. The child we have has to be constantly monitored and redirected. I say constantly, because nothing we say to him really gets through. He's unable to stop himself.
The teacher may have been horribly frustrated and not thinking clearly... but it's unimaginable to me that anyone who works with children could do a thing like this.
The mom is quoted in the article above, saying "I'll never be able to send him to school again without worrying if something is going to happen."
Can you imagine how bad that little boy feels?
:(
This kind of thing just sickens me. In years of babysitting and raising my own kids and being around lots of youngins, I've been frustrated enough to distance myself from a child for fear of physically hurting them. I've had to leave the room before, just to keep from exploding and screaming obscenities. I have thought that kids were stupid and annoying and fill-in-the-negative-adjective, but I have NEVER felt the need to tell them so.
ReplyDeleteA five year old is just a baby. To think this poor baby suffered through this emotional torture at the hands of someone who is supposed to be concerned with his safety - shaping his future for crying out loud - it's beyond disturbing.
something like this happened to me when i was in middle school. i don't remember much of it, but everyone went around the class and said something about each other person. it was supposed to be affirming. i guess all the kids had something nice to say about everyone else but me.
ReplyDeletethe guidance counselor was proud that I didn't cry since no one said nice things about me.
so, to some regard I can imagine how this kid must feel. my heart goes out to him & his family. kids can be so cruel. my question always falls to the teacher though...something like, what the &#(@#$( was he/she thinking?
I can't imagine what she could possibly have been thinking. Poor kid. How could anyone do something like that to another human being, and right to his face. She must have been completely in over her head. That whole school is to blame.
ReplyDeleteGeesh, I hope that teacher is fired!
ReplyDeleteWHAT? That's horrendous. Some people should never, never, never be teachers.
ReplyDelete