Remember Ass? Probably not. He's the father of one of the kids who used to be in our after school program. Go read about him by clicking the link, I'll wait.
You're back! Great. If you enjoyed that little story, you're bound to enjoy another chapter, located right here . (It's kind of like getting three posts from me in one day, isn't it?)
Ass Junior was just finishing 3rd grade when Ass Sr. decided our program was too expensive at $43.00 a week and decided to just let Junior run around free after school until a parent gets home at 5:30. That's only 3 hours. How much trouble can an eight year old kid get into in only 3 hours, right? As the mom of a former 8 year old, I cannot imagine I would ever have let him be out without supervision for half an hour... let alone three hours. But of course, I am one of those overprotective moms.
Well, from time to time over the last year and a half, I've seen Junior on the school grounds. One of his favorite activities is to stand outside and make faces at the kids on the inside. He also enjoys riding his scooter and bicycle up on the sidewalks next to the building. My guess is that he can read the signs prohibiting bikes in that area, he just chooses not to.
Yesterday afternoon, the weather was nice. A bit chilly, but no wind and no rain. Heavenly. So after reading time, we had plans to take the kids outside. During reading time, Junior and two cohorts kept being obnoxious outside, causing our fabulous bumper boys to act up and show off on the inside. Sunshine stepped out three times to ask them to please go play elsewhere while we were reading.
They finally wandered off about 4:15.
We gathered up the playground equipment and headed outside about 4:20. I noticed Junior's two cohorts on the grounds, but Junior was nowhere to be seen.
About a quarter to five, Ass Sr. drove up in his work vehicle.
He parked, stomped up to the fence where I was standing, and without greeting me demanded peremptorily, "Have you seen my son?" I answered that I'd seen him about half an hour ago. "Well where is he NOW?!" he demanded.
I said, "I don't know."
I thought 'hey buddy, I'm no longer being paid to keep track of your kid. Go find him yourself. Oh, and by the way? You really ought to know where he is and what he's doing. You're his PARENT. Ass.'
Then, Sunshine yelled from across the playground that Junior was in the building with the principal. Evidently the two cohorts had told her.
He turned around and stomped off angrily, slammed his door and squealed out of the parking lot.
I was very impressed, as I am sure you are.
The rest of our playground time was uneventful, and it wasn't until I headed down the hall to the restroom that I got to hear the rest of the story from a staff person.
Evidently Ass Jr. had pulled a knife on the playground and acted like he was going to poke his friend in the stomach. Not a smart thing to do, especially in front of a glass wall. He was observed and brought in for questioning. He had many things to say to the principal, most of which were prefaced by the f word.
One hears stories from time to time about famous criminals. On occasion, there's an interview with three or four people from the criminal's past. Usually at least one of them says something like, "I saw him heading down the wrong path, but couldn't stop him."
I really hope Junior grows out of his wildness. But Senior isn't really the best example of social grace and ordinary manners. If Junior is being such a jerk at the age of 10, it doesn't seem likely that his nature will change any time soon.
Ugh. I hate seeing some kid on the path to completely ruin their life. And I hate knowing that it was faulty parenting that put them there. At what point do you stop blaming the parents and start placing responsibility on the child? At adulthood? Do they even "know better" at that point, considering how they were raised? It's just really, really sad.
ReplyDeleteSOme people just make me sick! Your right, Mr Ass needs a kick in the Ass!
ReplyDeleteThat poor kid. We had an East Coast Ass in our Scout troop. Finally he and his son were asked to leave. Last I heard, the boy had dropped out of high school. 8(
ReplyDelete