Do you remember PeeWee's Playhouse?
My son was a fan when he was a little guy, we watched it every time we could.
Matt's favorite was the secret word segment.
PeeWee shared the secret word and leaned in close to camera and said, "For the rest of the day, whenever anyone says the secret word, scream real loud!"
Apparently the secret word at my program today was vagina. I was sitting at the snack table with my group when a couple of the kids screamed with laughter from the construction zone. I heard, "What's a vagina?" from one of the kids, a few words of explanation from Noah and then there was more screaming/laughing.
::sigh::
So I walked over to the carpets where they were all still just in stitches.
Steffie was saying, "PUH china," at intervals to try to keep the laughter going.
I said, "Hey, that isn't a word we need to be using here unless we're doing anatomy lessons or talking about the human body. And I know for a fact that we're not. Let's move on, people."
"Is it a bad word?" John asked me, blushing.
"Nope. It's just not appropriate or necessary for here. Unless, like I said, we're having a study of the human body."
Then Steffie asserted, "But I can still say PUH china, because it's not like I'm actually saying the word."
"Um, yes it is like you're actually saying the word. So please don't.
What started this conversation, guys?"
Three of them turned and pointed their fingers at Noah.
John added helpfully, "It was Noah. He says it's a woman's private parts."
Of course it was Noah who shared the word to begin with. He is one of the kids whose parents will answer his questions appropriately. Then he turns it into something else to make other kids laugh or be shocked or be mad. He can't keep anything to himself. I hope he's aged out of my group before his parents answer his curious questions about where babies come from.
So you know what to do.
For the rest of the day, whenever anyone says the secret word, scream real loud!
Followers
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
The Secret Word is...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This made me laugh out loud! Words are such fun, even when they're weaponized by little rebels, ha.
ReplyDeleteOh they're something else this time of year. Filters are off. They're just done. It *is* hilarious, though. Especially funny to me because they're not doing anything new or different or something I've never seen a kid do before. Same game, different players. I love my young humans and I'm so grateful to be able to do what I do.
Delete