Followers

Friday, November 21, 2025

I'm sorry!

I have this adorable little K girl, Kaia.

She's not usually with me for very long in the afternoon, one of her parents is there within half an hour most days.

She's sweet and intelligent, shows a lot of maturity in her thinking and interactions with other kids. It's unfortunate for her that she isn't there long enough to participate in our craft activities, but she seems pleased to see a parent at pickup time.

This afternoon while I was still checking kids in, she came and stood by me. 
"Bailey slapped my face," she said.
"What?!?"
Bailey was right behind her wearing a sheepish look.
"I said I was sorry!" she blurted.

I asked her why she had slapped Kaia.
Kaia answered, "She asked me if I brought a stuffy today and I said no and she slapped me!"

Every month or so at least one class has a pajama day. They wear their pajamas to school for the day as a reward. They can bring a stuffed animal, too. Fridays are also stuffy day in my program. They can bring their own or use one of ours from the big bin of them. Kaia was in pajamas, which is probably why Bailey asked her the question.

I asked, "Bailey, there are so many ways to communicate with our friends, slapping someone is mean. I'm so disappointed that you felt like you could slap Kaia."

She repeated, "But I said I was sorry!"

"Bailey. If I slapped your face and then said I was sorry right away, would your face still hurt?"

She did that grin she does when she's been caught.

"I guess my face would still hurt."

"Yep. Saying sorry doesn't really help in a situation like this."

She walked away and sat next to Kaia on the chairs in the reading area. I heard her apologize, and it sounded sincere. Kaia was fine. You know, except for being slapped across the face by an older kid who had NO reason to do so.

So I had to talk to her parent at pick up. I don't like doing that, I hate the idea that after being away from each other all day long, a parent's first contact with their child is about an issue where their behavior has been less-than-stellar, and Bailey has had a few issues lately.

Last week she said a word that starts with f. 
It was not 'fudge'. 
Also an automatic talk to the parent moment.

She has ADHD, and is impulsive. Has trouble coming in from our recess time or being quiet on the few occasions I ask them for attention.

When called on it, she gets that same sheepish look and says she's sorry but her subsequent actions say otherwise.

I'm keeping my eye on her, though. Hoping for no more slapping, at least.
The f word? That's actually less of a worry than physical aggression.

::sigh:::

Never boring. Never boring.


8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:50 AM

    Your life is never boring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, so far it isn't. Haha.

      Delete
  2. My goodness. That would be a surprise to be slapped like that. Certain words have become so commonplace how can we expect children not to use them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the situation comes up, I just explain that it's not appropriate for where we are at the moment. I don't tell a kid that it's a 'bad' word. I often tell them that I say inappropriate things, but that I don't say them in our school or in front of people who should not hear them. You're right, too. Those words are truly everywhere, when I was a 10 year old in church I heard our pastor swear. I mean, it wasn't from the pulpit, but it was during a work party and there were a lot of children there. "Shit goddamn!" he said. To be fair, he hit his thumb with a hammer. Warrants an f bomb if you ask me. LOL

      Delete
  3. Never boring indeed! Physical aggression is definitely concerning, but I can imagine hearing the F word fly probably isn't exactly a rare occurrence these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hear it often while working, but it does happen. Other words slip out now and then, too. We just handle it by explaining it's not appropriate for our group and move on. I really don't see it as a big deal, it is a normal thing. But I also don't want bunches of kids saying the same words and spreading it around and worst of all saying they learned it while they were with me. We try to keep it squelched.

      Delete
  4. Indeed, having your face slapped and then listening to the insincere apology is rather crappy. At least it sounded sincere later though.
    When I was about 8 (maybe 9) I used the "f you" phrase to our babysitter after school. You should have seen her face. I took off and hung out in the backyard until Mom arrived home. She asked me if I knew what it meant, and I said "no, what does it mean?" in the way only a young person can. "Never mind! It's not something I ever want to hear you say again!" Lol. I didn't say it again until I had moved out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are so oblivious. Couple weeks ago I overheard some kids who aren't in my program laughing over 'the n word'. Except one said, 'what is the n word' and the other kid shrugged and said he didn't know, but 'it's bad'. They walked down the hall saying 'n word'. Like that. Not the *actual* word. There was a teacher standing the hall and she stopped them as they passed. No idea what she told them, though.

      Your mom handled that one pretty well. ;)

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?