In 1994, Chuck Mangione played at the 4th of July festivities at Ft. Vancouver just across the river from us.
Lyssa was just a little over a year old and already loved music. She never stayed in one place very long, I spent a lot of time following her around. Busy little thing.
We were wandering around behind the stage (outdoor venue) and listening to the band that was on before Chuck Mangione.
Lyssa was dancing, you know how babies do... and I saw a bearded guy notice her and smile.
He took the eight or so steps necessary to come and dance with her. He held her little hands and danced her in a circle.
It was adorable.
When the music ended, she was ready to wander off again. She waved at him, he waved back.
We went back to our blanket for our picnic, and the announcer introduced Chuck Mangione.
He came onto the stage, carrying his horn.
It was the bearded guy who'd danced with my baby girl.
I think he was actually wearing that same hat.
Followers
Thursday, July 24, 2025
Chuck Mangione
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a fantastic memory. Too bad we didn't have phones with cameras then.
ReplyDeleteI usually had a real camera with me. Not that day, though. And I didn't know who it was until after we had gone back to our spot and he took the stage. So I wouldn't have known I should snap a pic. Ah well. It's a nice memory.
DeleteSuch a nice memory.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about it in a couple years, but of course his death yesterday brought it up in my brain. I can't relate to the idea of being near a world-famous musician, but it's pretty easy to share the common ground of thinking a dancing baby is cute. I really don't think he even noticed me other than knowing it was my kid, but he sure thought she was cute. (She was. Adorable.)
DeleteDelightful memory.
ReplyDeleteIt was a sweet moment.
DeleteI LOVED Chuck Mangione and his Instrumentals, "Feels So Good" was always a favorite of mine. Great Memory you Shared, your Baby got to Dance with Chuck!!! He always struck me as a really nice Guy as well as being a Talented Musician.
ReplyDeleteWell, based on only that encounter, I would say he was indeed a nice guy. And I loved his music, too.
Delete