Olivia has done very well lately with not wetting her pants. She seems to be tuned in to her body a little more, and asks to go to the bathroom at least once every afternoon.
She ran to me and asked today (with her legs crossed, eyes wide, voice urgent), "Can I go can I go can I go?"
I was waving her to the bathroom while she was still talking. I was getting the kids into the gym (it's been raining all afternoon) and everyone's been a little wild.
She didn't make it in time.
So our manager of managers was on site because he delivered snacks this afternoon, so he and my assistant-of-the-day watched the kids in the gym while I kept Olivia company as she dug through her backpack only to find that she had no clean clothing.
So I texted her mom and let her know there were no clean clothes left in her daughter's pack. She said she'd be there to get her in a few minutes.
Then I saw our school secretary walking down the other hallway and caught up with her. Asked if there were spare clothes I could grab.
I texted Olivia's mom again and said never mind, I got some clothes from the school office.
When I came back, I handed them to Olivia. She looked at them (gray leggings and some clean underwear) and said firmly, "I don't wear gray."
She tossed them on the floor next to the sink in the hand washing area, folded her arms and said, "I'm not changing into those. I don't like them."
Then she marched into the bathroom, said, "I'm not coming out of here."
Well. Great. I can't go in after her. If she won't come out, then she can pretty much set up housekeeping in that grimy little tiled room.
So I called her mom. She said she had a couple things to finish (she works from home quite often), promised to be there in 15 minutes or so.
I left Olivia in the bathroom. Oh, I was observing the entrance to the restroom and listening for her, but she didn't want to come out.
When I let her in, Mom went to the restroom area with clean clothing and into the bathroom with her child.
Eventually, Olivia came out with the gray pants and underwear, handed them to me, said, "Sorry," and they left.
Now I have the clothes here, I will wash them alone in unscented laundry soap and bring them back to the school office since they didn't get worn.
Today in traffic... wasn't too bad. Except there was a guy tailgating car after car (I could see him in my rear view as he zipped in and out of traffic) who was in a tear-assed hurry. I'm not sure why someone would think they'd get there faster when the entire freeway is going 40 mph, but whatever. I was a teeny bit pissed when he used the open lane of an on-ramp to pass me on the right and take the spot in front of me. He didn't accomplish anything, although I leaned on the horn for the 10 seconds he was in front of me. Haha, little Roadrunner meeep meeeeeep. I don't think he cared much.
I have a day off tomorrow, teachers are doing report cards, so tomorrow is groceries and errands and the usual Saturday stuff. I can't deny being a little tired and looking forward to a day without commute.
Or wet pants.
Haha.
Poor kid. It's kinda funny she wouldn't wear grey though.
ReplyDeleteIt *is* funny. She's a beautiful little girl, hilarious and very, very definite in what she likes and what she doesn't like. Highly intelligent and artistic. And. She. Does. Not. Bend.
DeleteThat core of iron isn't easy for adults who have to deal with her, but it's really a good thing for her to have. No one will ever be able to push her around.