Back at it today. It was a nice break.
Odd. Waking up on that first Saturday morning with all that free time stretching out in front of me is so full of possibilities and thoughts about fun things to do. Of course I didn't do most of them. I had thoughts about painting a picture or two. I really do want to. And nope. Didn't.
Didn't even manage to clean off my desk, which is in dire need of cleaning.
So I went back to work after not getting anything done for the last couple weeks.
I can't say I feel bad about it, but I can't say I feel good about it, either.
So.
My work kids are like that old joke.
Men don't want to know what's on, they want to know what ELSE is on. That's why they always want the remote.
My kids don't want to know what we have to do, they want to know what's next.
I've been trying to come up with more things that are hands on and interesting. Although it's not fashionable to say boys and girls are different, most of them really are.
When they're in Kindergarten or first grade, the boys are more likely to play with the dolls or doll house stuff, they usually move to more hands on stuff by third grade.
I've always had a variety of stuff around, but the group of kids I have is always different, too.This is the first place I've worked where most of my young humans aren't attending five days a week.
I have kids whose parents share custody. So for example I have Ryan every other week when he's with his mom and then when he's with Dad, he goes home on the bus.
(once again I don't use real names)
Several attend two days a week, but not all of them attend the same two days, so maybe I have kids who are there Monday and Thursday and two other kids who are there Tuesday and Wednesday and another one who's there Wednesday and Thursday. It's a lot to keep track of in planning, but not too bad in actual practice.
We have an app that lets us know when they're going to be there. If a kid isn't on the schedule, no worry.
But there are some activities that I plan for specific kids, knowing that he or she will really enjoy it and not wanting them to miss out.
I've finally started (most of the time) just doing the activities and telling kids who are upset about missing out that we have so many schedules that sometimes they're going to miss something.
Today was the day I finally brought out the cardboard and cardboard tools.
I won't allow the kids to cut corrugated cardboard with scissors, it's dangerous and I really don't want accidents. Once in awhile I have saved up a bunch of cereal boxes and other thin cardboard and we have a 'trash day'. They go through a lot of masking tape. LOL.
So the cardboard tools are pretty good. They're child safe.
I am hoping the next time we do the cardboard thing they'll get a little more creative.
They did seem to enjoy it, though, which is the whole point.
![]() |
| This isn't one of 'my' kids, it's an internet photo. |
We still have all the regular stuff out, too. The LEGO, the game cart, the art cart, dramatic play area. There's a small kitchen set, burners, microwave, sink. I got it from a person on teh Book o' Face Buy Nothing group.
The dramatic play boxes have play food and knitted scarves the kids use as baby blankets/slings to carry their babies. We have five babies. The rule is that we must treat them like real babies. No being mean to them or making them do things like fly or hit each other.
It's usually either small kids, K or 1st or some of the older girls.
They are good parents, snuggling and comparing infant milestones.
"My little boy slept all night long!"
So when we got ready to go outside this afternoon, and the usual crowd had been playing with the babies, I was surprised to see how the babies had been left. I'm pretty sure it was an accident, but there's a little part of me that wonders.
A couple dress up boxes with a bunch of different costumes, jewelry, glasses, scarves. You get the idea.
Another idea I had a few months ago is a big bin to make Rube Goldberg machines.
I'll be introducing that to the kids tomorrow. The box contains a lot of different things, marble run stuff, dominoes, croquet balls, tennis balls. String and things that balance.
I will take some photos of all the stuff they're doing if I can.
Part of what I have to do is write up best practices and watch for things that can happen with the items included. Kids get up to all kinds of shenanigans. It's up to us to head them off before they become a problem. Always fun.
Yep, I'm back at it.
Guess it's too late to change career tracks, huh?



It seems to me that you found your career path. You work does keep your mind and body active. This is a good thing.
ReplyDeleteIt's good for me and good for the kids, too. I am glad to be there.
DeleteThere are so many things out there now to keep kids busy. I bought a rock painting kit for my grandsons next birthday at the end of this month. I think he'll like it.
ReplyDeleteEvery kid I have ever painted rocks with LOVES the activity. Great choice.
DeleteI'd enjoy those too! You probably already know about Magna-tiles? So much fun, but expensive. If you don't already have them, maybe someone would donate them?
ReplyDeleteWe have a giant box of them. Enough that the kids almost never argue over them. :)
DeleteHappy 2025, Ami! Back to reality is tough sledding after a few weeks off. Looks like you got plenty of things to keep the kids busy. Take care.
ReplyDeleteIf I suddenly ended up with a big pile of money, I would actually quit my job now. Years ago, that wasn't true, I would have wanted to keep working. Now everything hurts all the damn time and I keep seeing the gray advancing through my hair and I'm tired. LOL.
DeleteHappy New Year to you and yours!