We drove up to a little-known campground/picnic area today.
Quiet up there, until about 3 we were the only people there.
I took a few photos.
I had planned to bring my good camera and we left without it.
So these are phone pics.
The first one is of the elusive Forest Camel.
You don't see many of those in the wild anymore.
![]() |
| Camel Toe not pictured |
The next one I took because the way the sun was coming through the trees made some of the green sort of glowy. I see that spell check has queried that word, so now I have to teach my spell checker that glowy is absolutely a word.
This picture just was sort of cool. Sitting in my big assed camp chair, head back watching for a bird that we kept hearing but never did see.
Then when we got back in cell phone range, I had a text/photo message from our son. He works for the state and was on assignment in Eastern Oregon when this happened.
The tire apparently just...disintegrated. He said the tread was fine this morning, that it was not a retread and he had no idea what happened. I'm just grateful it wasn't a front tire (he was on the freeway) and that he and his co-worker are both fine.




The shot up into the trees is great! A petrified camel 😀 That is a very disintegrated tire, it's a good thing it did not turn into a disaster.
ReplyDeleteI wish I'd taken the good camera. I will, next time. (Making note to self to charge the battery)
DeleteI didn't even NOTICE the camel until Eric pointed it out to me. I wondered how many people had been there and not seen it. LOL.
I'm so glad nothing really bad happened when the tire blew. I worry about my kids all the time. It's one of my super powers. I'll just worry about the next thing. Both my kids are smart, responsible and quite capable humans. I just can't let go of stuff.
Just a guess about the tire. Chinese manufacturer.
ReplyDeleteNo clue. Eric said, looking at the photo, that he thinks something may have punctured the sidewall and started the disintegration. Matt says they've ordered him a new van already, but because it's a state job, they can't just get a van from a car dealer. So the van they've ordered isn't showing up until the end of the year. Of course.
DeleteI have never seen a forest camel…haha. Seen plenty of other weird things, but darned if that isn’t a camel face looking at you.
ReplyDeleteI love the photo where the trees all come to a point in the center. Cool. Hope you had a wonderful time!
That was my first sighting of one, too! I've seen some other interesting animals in the same vicinity.
DeleteThis post from a couple years ago shows some. https://amimental.blogspot.com/2022/03/picnic.html
It was nice to get out. A mini vacation, really. I thought I'd escaped smelling like campfire smoke, but I was sitting here last night and when I turned my head, caught a whiff of smoke. It was my hair, dammit. So I had to stay up and shower and dry my hair. I hate sleeping on wet hair.
Oh nice! I loved the pictures. Glad to hear your son is ok.
ReplyDeleteI will take the good camera next time we go out!! And thank you, I'm glad, too. I am a worrying mom.
DeleteAh yes, forest-bathing. It's a balm.
ReplyDeleteIt was nice. We just hung out and talked. It's not a long drive, about 40 minutes. Beautiful spot. There's a nice creek running through there, too, but I can't get down the bank. It would be embarrassing to have to have a forklift come get me up. Ha.
Delete