Guess that's what I get for thinking.
It's been a crazy couple weeks.
Drama camp was a ton of fun. We had seven kids in total. The week was filled with getting to know you/putting yourself out there games and daily rehearsals for The Three Wiley Goats Gruff.
Avoiding copyright infringement, ya know.
We had two little people who were completely disinterested in anything to do with acting, making a costume, or taking any of the available parts. I talked to their parents to make sure they knew they were paying for drama camp and that neither of their kids wanted to be in the play. Both of them were fine with that, they just wanted a place to leave their children for four hours a day so they could get some things done.
So we made sure they had stuff to do and were having fun.
My sidekick for the week is a drama major. She heads back to college in a month. I didn't even need to be there except technically (someone director-qualified needs to be on site), she had everything handled and was great with the kids.
They put the play on for their families on Friday afternoon. It was a short little adaptation of the original story, and the kids made it their own.
The kid playing the troll didn't want to be a troll, she wanted to be a goat, too. So she was a sassy goat instead.
I had a good time hanging out with the little group and really liked my co-worker. It was a nice way to end the summer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week has been a week of training/work.
Director-specific on Monday and Tuesday, full crew on Wednesday.
My assistant has six years of experience as a site teacher and will be handling the morning program, but I've only met him once in passing. So that will be interesting.
The owner of the company attended Monday's session. She approached me during a break to tell me how pleased she is that I'm taking on one of our new sites. She didn't need to do that. But that personal touch is one of the reasons I am liking this company so far.
I got an email this week, too.
I am receiving a bonus on my next check for, well, I'm not sure. For my dedication and commitment. Totally not necessary. I appreciate it, though.
I visited the new school today. I have part of a store room to keep my stuff in, which means I can bring some things to enhance the program and build it from the beginning. I want my program to be a destination rather than the default (well, there is no other place to leave my kid, so I guess I'll leave them there) and for the kids to have a good time.
I'm less anxious than I was now that I've been to the school. I met three school staff people, all three of them were welcoming and very friendly. They said they're really happy to have us there.
I actually have a day off tomorrow, but then next week is more busy-ness. Need to get out to my school and set up the program, put away all the stuff in the cabinets. Make sure I know where my clipboard is and that my assistant can open morning program on day one.
Lots of things have to happen.
Monday I have the hands-on portion of my CPR training. I did the online stuff a few weeks ago, but had to schedule the rest and this was the first one I could get.
I have a meeting with our inclusion specialist and my new manager to discuss one of my kids who needs some special accommodation(s) but we have to find a day that works for us all.
Wednesday isn't just set up day, but I will be staying for the evening back to school thing at the school. We'll set up a table and talk to prospective families and probably meet some of my new kids.
School starts on September 5th. I know that a couple weeks in, things will seem routine and will be running smoothly, but it's a little stressful now.
I'll have to remind myself that I asked for a new program.
Yippee.
I'm too busy to stop and think about all that has to happen between now and day one, and a ton of boxes and bins here at home that need to be sorted through.
Here we go.
Followers
Thursday, August 24, 2023
I thought I would be slowing down by this age...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh that back to school anticipation. School has already started around these parts. I sincerely hope you have a nice school year!
ReplyDeleteSo odd to me when school starts before Labor day. I think it's going to be a good year, bur starting something new AGAIN is maybe a little bit stressful.
DeleteFirst.....you totally deserve the acknowledgement from the owner AND the bonus. This is all sounding promising. And busy!
ReplyDeleteIt's a good company. I have a lot of respect for the owner, too. She's a strong and confident person. She has a purpose in mind all the time. The bonus was a surprise.
DeleteBe careful what you ask for my Friend, you got it. *winks*
ReplyDeleteA multi million dollar lottery win... that's what I'm asking for. And I'll share. With a ton of people.
DeleteI had such a hard time coming back after 3 months with my surgery, I can't imagine being off routine for three months every year. But it sounds like you're in a good place, You got this. :)
ReplyDeleteI think I'm just accustomed to it. I slept in. Stayed up late watching all kinds of stuff. I loved it.
DeleteI will ask to either be taken off the schedule next summer or only work the half day camps, like I did this year. It didn't work perfectly, enrollment kept changing, but I really loved the half day format (and the small group).