Are you hearing music?
I love a lot of Beatles songs but they weren't great musicians.
Wonderful song writers. Not great at the technical stuff.
First day on the new job.
I was supposed to be there at 10, GPS said "24 minute drive" but I left my house earlier than I needed to just in case traffuck got crazy.
It didn't. I arrived a half hour early.
Sat in my car for a few minutes, but I'd rather sit in my car in the parking lot of my destination than sit in the car on the freeway, swearing about being late. Next time I'll bring my tablet so I can read if I'm early.
Today's training stuff was an orientation and tour of the facilities.
An hour and a half of HR stuff that could have been in an email, then a lunch order (sandwiches from Jimmy John's) and some computer time.
They wanted to make sure we could access our training websites, but it doesn't make sense to me that they wanted to do that today when we're not doing the training until next week. Ah well.
I'll be working during the mornings at the office this week and meeting my new young humans and getting to know the adult humans who work at my site as well.
I am going to be responsible for making sure their hours are correct for payroll and learn about their strengths and what they do at the school.
The morning shift at my school will be handled by one of them, I won't be working split shifts for this employer. I'll eventually be doing a bit of stuff at home, going to fix a work space this weekend in the momcave.
Yesterday afternoon, my last shift with my kids wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Kids brought me gifts, I got handmade little cards, I got hugs. Ended up with 30 bucks to spend at Target and 50 for Amazon. Unnecessary but appreciated so much.
I didn't get all emotional. I've been fine, surprisingly.
It didn't rip my heart out the way it did when I left my other job six years ago.
My feelings weren't less, but I wasn't worn out from putting up with a year of harassment from a crazy narcissistic bitch before I left this time, either.
I am sorry I had to leave, but it was the right decision.
I saw a couple of the parents for the first time since I turned in my notice, too.
One of them was furious and demanded some email information for someone above Madge. Apparently Madge was unconcerned about the emails they sent to her and summarily dismissed them.
But the organization made email addresses easy, C.ExecOfficer@CheapAss.org.
So I passed along the contact information for the CEO.
Madge and the rest of the gang have kept him in the dark about a few things, one being the size of the waiting list at the school. They engaged in some computer subterfuge to keep him from knowing, since he doesn't like kids being on a waiting list.
It's laziness on the part of some of his minions, instead of going to the school and trying to arrange a different program space (they used to be in the cafeteria and swapped back and forth between the gym and the cafeteria each day for a bit until SUN came in and took over the whole damn building ) 'cause minions sit in the office and do, well, I am not sure what they do.
The cafeteria/gym/cafeteria thing worked well, but after the pandemic, they got a new principal and the arrangement changed. The minions didn't try to fix that, they just let it go. Because the minions make the same amount of money whether they're doing a good job or not.
I wasn't supposed to know all that. Madge let it slip quite awhile back.
It's possible that I told all this to the few parents who asked.
I mean, what were they gonna do, fire me?
The person they hired to run the program there probably won't end up staying with the company, she's too smart and won't be content there. Company's not organized well enough and there are so many possibilities for her.
Not my problem, of course.
None of it is my problem anymore.
They said goodbye, and I say hello.
I don't like being late either. I would mush rather get their early and sit in the parking lot for a while. I hope that you like the new job.
ReplyDeleteI'm a very anxious person. Anything I can do to keep the anxiety level low is helpful to me. I think the job will be okay. It's funny, the kid component... making sure they have fun and are cared for/about is the easy part, it's all the crazy things piled on by adults that are always the issue. :)
DeleteIt's almost never the kids, is it. I'm really glad you have a new start.
ReplyDeleteNo. Kids are pretty great everywhere. Even the ones who are... extra. (Actually the kids who are extra are the best ones.)
DeleteI know that after things start feeling a little more routine I won't be so off-balance. I'm sure it won't always be an easy commute, but yesterday wasn't bad at all. Figuring out what to pack for lunch and making sure I have enough to eat will be a trip, I'm used to eating leftovers from dinner or whatever for lunch, then zipping off to work in the afternoons, and now I'm not going to be home after about 9:30 or so. At least not at first.
I'm glad you're settling in. We were just discussing Hubs retirement via a 2 hr zoom call with HR benefits. Funny, it used to be that you worked your 30 years and then retired to your home. Now it's more of a "get your pension and move to the next thing" kind of job. Realistically, by the time I get to 57, it will be unlikely worth it for me to stay my last 3 year to make 30. I'll just take my pension and move to the next thing. Change is necessary to grow and learn... sometimes the next chapter is the best.
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm not getting any younger. I'm just hoping the new job will be a good fit. Retirement? What's that?
DeleteI had to laugh at our similiarities, of needing to be on time, willing to sit in parking lot if early, anxious,etc. Oh I get it all. Glad you're comfortable with your decision. Best feeling in the world. You deserve it!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure there will be things I don't like, but I feel respected. They have mentioned my years of experience several times and expressed how excited they are to have someone with that much practical knowledge on board. We'll see.
DeleteRegarding the anxiety, I've learned to do things ahead of time to keep that to a minimum. Arriving very early so I can choose where to sit in the conference room. Having lunch packed the night before. Making sure my rolling backpack has been cleaned out and there's room for all the things that are gonna end up in there. I am to be issued a laptop for work tomorrow.
I'm more anxious about the commute than anything else. But hey... fat girl karaoke!
I do hope the new Job is a good Fit. Retirement, well, I've tried to remain Retired, but, necessity is the Mother of all Invention of what to do next to supplement a Pension.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the positive wishes.I'm hoping for a good fit, too. Once I've seen the school site and met some of the people who work there, I will feel a little better. Bringing a little craft project tomorrow, even if we don't get to it I'm prepared. Can't seem to NOT do that. I am not ready to retire yet, I really still love what I do. There are a lot of little part time options when I do, though.
Delete