Followers

Monday, January 30, 2023

Another letter

 One of the parents from the program I just left sent an email to the CEO of the organization regarding my departure.

She may even get a response, but they don't actually give a shit, if they did they would have made the small accommodations I requested of them.

If my doctor said I shouldn't be working a split shift and they weren't willing to help me get five hours a week to get minor benefits, then they don't care to keep good people anyway.

It was a hell of a letter she wrote, though. Here's an excerpt:
I am writing to express my sadness and concern at the departure of teacher Susan.  My children both absolutely adored her and thrived in her care.  When I asked her why she was leaving, she shared that it was due to being asked to work split shifts, and that the organization wouldn't be flexible with her about this. 

If this is the case, I truly find it appalling that the (cheap ass non-profit) wouldn't prioritize the needs of a 20-year veteran care giver, and therefore the benefit of children, over scheduling concerns.  (Nameless school)  already has a long waitlist of children needing care, and I can only imagine the negative impacts this has caused.  Susan was a strong and competent caregiver, and did an incredibly challenging job with warmth and aplomb.  I strongly recommend you review your policies.

There was more, but that's the gist of it.
I emailed her back and thanked her for taking the time to write it and send it to the appropriate party. Told her that I loved working with her kids and that I'd miss the whole family. I'm sorry she wasted her time, although I didn't say that, of course. Just thank you very much.

Mr CEO had no idea there was a long waiting list, as Madge and Rowan and others HID the list from him in the computer system they use. So I was happy to see that she mentioned that in her email.

If she gets a response and shares it with me, I will post it here if I can.

Anyway, it's 10 PM, and although I'm working from home tomorrow morning, I still have to get up and get my shit together at a decent time. Tired old bag here.

6 comments:

  1. It has to be rewarding that there are parents who cared enough to write letters. It may not change anything, unfortunately, but you know you were valued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't run companies. If I did, employees like me would be retained if at all possible. My departure won't topple the structure, but it doesn't help improve their reputation, either. I fix programs and I did a hell of a job.

      Delete
  2. That was nice of her to write that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has two of the best kids I cared for. Smart and funny and kind and deep. Adorable, too.

      Delete
  3. Why would they hide a wait list? So stupid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Mr CEO has this hugely lofty vision of what he does. He said at the one organization-wide event that I attended that when he's asked what he does for a living, he answers, "I save lives."

      So part of his 'vision' is that all school age kids who need services will receive them through our organization. They hid the wait list information from him because 'he doesn't like wait lists'.

      Now mind you, no one from the organization made the slightest effort to obtain a larger program space within the school. No one helped me move five different damn times, either. They're top heavy, disorganized, have no real program standards and the whole left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing thing? This is who they were talking about when that saying was made.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?