Followers

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Paywalls are BULLSHIT

I have things to say. Working on a 'LEGO camp is finally over and I'm tired and so happy to have some time off and here's everything that happened in the last couple weeks of camp and what we're up to at my house' post but too lazy to do any actual writing this week so far.

But...I'm sure it's happened to most of
you.

Surfin' along, minding your own business and suddenly there's a link that will tell  you more about whatever it is you're reading.

So you click on it and either they want you to 'sign up FREE' and then want your email address or your bra size or a photo of your butthole, the name of your firstborn, your medical information, what kind of car you drive, what kind of ice cream you like...

Or worse, they think their content is SO special that you'll pay to read it.
Um, okay. When the same stuff is available multiple places and is usually not difficult (but time consuming and goddammit I want it NOW) to find for free, why pay for it?

I was reading something this evening and in the comments was a link to an article that was behind a paywall. Most of the commenters were pissed off and a few said so.

And someone added this link in their comment and so far, it has worked on everything I could not read over the last three days!

It says 'show me a 10 foot paywall, I'll show you a 12 foot ladder.'

Try this link!


13 comments:

  1. It tried it on a couple of links, but it didn't work for me. What browser are you using? Sometimes that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Firefox. I tried it at the Boregonian and it didn't work, but the little hometown newspaper where my parents live and I grew up is now open to me... I can read about Nettie Mae's apple pie taking first place at the fair and Joey R. Jr Jr Jr's speeding tickets. LOL

      Delete
  2. I’m not a fan of paywalls either. I pay for news/music and make donations to writers I support. That said, when I’m looking at recipe on a site only to be told I have sign up for this or that to get all of the recipe, I say “fuck that” and look elsewhere. God, also known as Google always provides. 🤣🤣

    Our local newspaper puts ALL of their articles, including obituaries, behind a pay wall. I found a way around the paper’s paywall. I copy an article’s link, and then I paste it in a private window. Works every time. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. 🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do they think their content is exclusive or special? Obviously just a way to extort a little more money, but I'm tired of paying for every damn thing! I would try to do what you said but I have no idea what a private window is. :)

      Delete
  3. I hate when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrates the crap out of me.

      Delete
  4. I had never heard of paywall, but I doubt seriously I would join something like that unless the fee was relatively small...like less than $5. I have no idea how much it normally costs. And the content would have to be amazing to pay to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paywall is just the word for when you're trying to read an article and they want you to pay for a subscription to continue reading. Washington Post is one of the ones that does that to me. Forbes, too. Different sites charge different amounts and sometimes it's ridiculous because the same content is available for free in 10 other places. I don't care HOW small the fee is, I don't want to pay to read news or political commentary.

      Delete
    2. Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I hate those, and usually find another way to read it. Or, figure it wasn’t that interesting to begin with.

      Delete
  5. Here's something to try but you have to be quick. Usually the content downloads and then the paywall pops up. If you hit the ESC key fast enough you can stop the paywall from downloading.

    Also, I have ad blockers running. When I can't get past the 'turn off your ad blocker' screen, I just go to incognito mode which doesn't run my ad blockers. I don't have to do that to often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the ad blockers, too. Only I just click the stop loading button. Sometimes I have to do it a few times, but it usually works. No idea how to do incognito mode. Do tell.

      Delete
  6. Yeah... I don't even like the stories that I have to click through a slide show to view. Attention span of a gnat and all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like those, either. I also usually dislike videos unless they're really short and very relevant. Except painting tutorials. I watch those.

      It took me more than 50 years to realize that I have ADD. It's an asset in my job. Not so much at home, though.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?