Followers

Sunday, February 06, 2022

See that handwriting?

I'm usually in bed at this time, since, as I have complained many times before, 5 AM is friggin' early.

And I am heading there momentarily.

I was just sitting here thinking about stuff.
And things.
And the handwriting on the wall.

I'm getting fed up with the company I work for. I realize no company is perfect, and that no one does things exactly the way I do them. But it aggravates me that they think getting us all t-shirts (and making us wear them... really we already have shirts, I think I have about 10 in my personal collection) is going to fix anything. That we're suddenly going to appear professional.

What we need is a person who does training full time. (Yes, I know, you and you and you over there in the back row... you've all mentioned it. And told me that I'd be good at it.)

I wouldn't necessarily be good at it, I'm a little impatient with stupidity and incompetence. I've lost my ability to look at an adult treating a child disrespectfully and walk away, too.

But a full time training position and some goddamn standards of care. Things we should never allow at sites (like the whole gymnastics thing I wrote about the other day)
and ways of dealing with children that are demeaning, demoralizing and degrading.

It really bothers me that the people who are doing those things don't even see anything wrong with it.

I actually asked someone recently when she was talking about giving good behavior tickets to her group for doing things like cleaning up their toys or organizing the books or whatever, "Are they kids or donkeys?"

When she didn't get the reference (and really why would she) I tried to explain briefly that kids want to help, they are generally predisposed to doing the right thing and don't benefit from incentive programs. Carrot and stick are not good for anyone. That in fact, research has proven the opposite.

The trouble is that people who handle things that way aren't deep thinkers and wouldn't understand the research anyway.

It frustrates me.

I looked at the website of my former employer this evening. Of course they're hiring, they always are. But what got me was the list of schools. There are a lot of them in Portland Public Schools that used to host programs run by my current employer. And now those schools have their programs instead.

It pisses me off on so many levels. First, of course, is the fact that they don't put children first. In fact, children aren't even on their list of priorities. They're a profit-driven organization, and the ONLY thing they care about is making money.

If you're sufficiently interested, look through my blog archives ('my job' is the category) from 2005 to 2016 and see how they changed over those years. Employees were treated with less respect every year, it became harder to get basic supplies and hey, let's not forget the Cavalcade of Cunts that eventually made things so ridiculously intolerable that I finally left. Along with 11 out of 15 people in just  one year.

Right now there isn't even one person working there who worked with me. We've all gone on to different things.

Of course there's a complete redesign of logos and a new business model about every seven years. This is for them to get out from under the pile of lawsuits from employees. It's not hard to find this information, by the way. I'm not saying anything here that isn't all over the place on the web.

Bunch of assholes from the top down. And I could never work for them again even if I hadn't burned the bridge while I was still standing right in the middle of it. I have too much self-respect and too much respect and admiration for kids.

My current employer is a much better fit.

But unless they do some serious changing, and I don't think I'd waste a whole lot of time getting around to it if I were them, we're going to end up being booted out of all of the schools in the metro area and then I'll be out of a goddamn job again.

Ugh.

12 comments:

  1. This post leads you to….anywhere you want to go. From what I've read over the years, you don't have any interest in starting your own business, since it would take you away from the kids. The kids are your main focus, and it's your super power. So, all you have to do is figure out how to continue that along with training new/previous/existing adults so that they may go forth and conquer. Good luck, no matter where you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money. Send a lot of it and I will totally start my own business. My husband said this past weekend, "We could put up the house as collateral."

      Nope. Too old to start something like that.

      Delete
  2. I agree with those unmentioned that you would be a great asset as a trainer because of your knowledge and compassion, that said its not for everyone, would you consider writing a training package, to be delivered by someone else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I *could* do it. I've been writing up a lot of what's going on and sending it to a manager person, but I don't think it's going to go anywhere. I'm pretty fed up right now.

      Also, it's considered bad form for a trainer to slap people when they are stupid, right? I don't know, I don't train.

      Delete
  3. As said in the military, "Until morale improves (fill in the blanks)_____

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fill in the blanks with what? I mean, I could come up with a few...

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear things are so bad. I know you must be pretty fed up with the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO. DAMN. FRUSTRATING.
      If I could find a job doing what I do for similar compensation anywhere besides Champions... I'd be doing it. I love the school where I work, I love the kids... but this is just nuts. Haven't even told y'all about the no more HR department and the missing from my account retirement funds.

      Delete
  5. How frustrating, Ami. I hope they come to their senses or at least listen to you and other employees so they can do better for the kids and the people who work for them. Take care and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I am going to the right people. Not sure how to proceed. :::sigh:::

      Delete
  6. I was just watching News coverage addressing the Crisis of the Teacher shortages since so many are quitting or retiring earlier since pandemic. I had the Grandchild's IEP Today and 3 in attendance were exceptional and 2 really pissed me off... some have a way with their Students that is conducive to helping a child succeed. She's doing well in those Classes where she tells me the Teachers know how to Teach and so it makes it less anxiety ridden for her to Learn. Special Needs Kiddos often try so hard and yet still fail, the one thing I dread about every IEP meeting I've ever attended is that there will be those Adults that will only tell you what is Wrong with your Child and that's very hard to hear, especially when the Child is present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the attitude that there's something 'wrong' with a child. Like there's something that needs fixed.

      I have tried to advocate for the little guy not to be dumped from the program, I want a one on one for him so he can succeed. I think it would hurt him to be booted out.

      I know your support is soooo important to your girl. Hoping they will do what's right for her.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?