We've been watching a bit of Olympic coverage at our house.
Show of hands here... anyone miss Boob Costas?
I am not sure why I have always
disliked him, but his stupid remark back in 2004 when the team from
Djibouti entered the stadium in Athens, "You bet jaBOOTY," did not
improve my feelings for the man.
Then he interviewed GW Bush in 2008 during the Olympics.
The interview was billed as a sort of rah rah thing, to discuss our athletes and the games.
Is that what happened?
Nope.
From my blog waaaay back then,
After
years of being thought of as a sports commentator, he seemed intent on
proving (a la Geraldo "I'm a serious journalist" Rivera) that he was
also a serious journalist who could ask the hard hitting questions.
The 'gotcha' questions.
Questions
that had nothing to do with the athletes who have worked their asses
off most of their lives to get where they are. He asked human rights
questions, political questions, and tried really hard to look
professional.
It pissed me off. It pushed aside the
accomplishments of the amazing people competing in the Olympics, solved
nothing, and made Boob, once again, look like an asshole. He does not
need to do more things that make him look that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The DVR is set to catch the events we're interested in. We fast forward through a lot. We skip events in the middle of those recordings, too.
Can't wait for the balloon events, though.
There may be easier ways to blow up a balloon but none as interesting.
ReplyDeleteI should probably be ashamed of how hard that caption made me laugh, but I'm not. At all. ::snort:::
DeleteIn my dotage I no longer care about the Olympics. As a graduate of Steamboat Springs, CO High School, I've know several Olympians. Good people.mainly, driven to succeed. It angers me how amateur athletes git used and exploited.
ReplyDeleteI learned how crazy some of the Olympic rules are when one of my homeschooling friends had a daughter competing in fencing. CRAZY. With all caps. My god.
DeleteAnd yes, political, biased, and very unfair and unbalanced.
A high school friend's dad competed in the Olympics in the 1950s and he was so proud of his gold medal. But things aren't the same now.
I don't really care who wins any of the events, but I do enjoy watching some of them.
Haven't watched much but we did catch the ski jump or whatever its called, my cousin used to compete in moguls and that and actually won silver a couple of times
ReplyDeleteWatching moguls makes my knees hurt. Eeek. I don't have any family members who were Olympians, but some of them like to throw things. Ha.
DeleteI only have Netflix now so no Olympics watching for me.
ReplyDeleteYou can see a lot of highlights on YouTube if you wanna.
DeleteI'm sure the balloon blowing contest is there. LOL