This week, I am stuck giving lunch breaks to Bubbles and her sidekick.
You know I hate working at other people's sites.
If you didn't know that, you must be new here.
Let's make it official.
I hate working at other people's sites.
Why? Let me count the ways.
First...
Other people's sites are almost always messy and disorganized.
Not that I'm perfect at the whole organization thing, but good heavens. Dirty corners and dirty tables and stuff stacked precariously on top of other stuff. Dirty rugs. Filthy floor.
Cluttered, too. If you can't find a home for something, get some more shelves or get rid of the item.
When
you get 10 different colors of duct tape so you can micromanage your
kids by only allowing them to use the items appropriate for their age
group, and then you slap duct tape on every damn thing in the room, it
doesn't look nice the way you think it does. It's cluttered. Ugly.
Condescending and superior.
There is duct tape on the spine of every book.
It's on all the games.
It's on some of the toys, too.
Oh for crying out loud.
Get stuff that all the kids can use.
Some children may choose NOT to use something, but let it be up to them.
Is that game going to be too hard for the second graders who've picked it out?
They chose it because of the colorful box.
So
what?
Let them puzzle over it.
If you have a few minutes, show them the basics.
Allow them to invent their own way of
playing or give up and put it away if they don't want to play it. As
long as they put it back in the box and on the shelf when they're done, why do you
care?
Stop saying stupid things like, "This book is too advanced
for you. You must choose one from the blue or the green group." Don't
say, "You are too big to read this book. It's for little kids. You
must choose from the red or orange books."
By the way, Bubbles, it's not
difficult to clean tables.
Yeah, it's a pain in the ass at times, and it's just one more thing that needs doing on a never-ending list of stuff that you'll never be completely caught up with, but
when an off-white table is dark gray on top, it's probably past time to
get out the cleansers and rags and do some serious deep scrubbing.
Since
they're really filthy, you should probably be prepared to wash each
table more than once. Maybe you should wash them every morning and every
afternoon. Just an idea.
I subbed at that site I think about three?? years ago (yep, January 2019, just checked while I was looking for that post) during the holidays when Kyra, who is still in charge there, let her CBR lapse. (CBR is Criminal Background Registry)
At that time, I washed the tables. For three days, before and after afternoon program, I washed the hell outa them.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the last time they were washed.
Kyra is inappropriate in her physical contact with children.
Not in a way that alarms me exactly, but it should alarm her.
Or at least get her attention.
She oughta fuckin' know.
She
allows kids to run up and grab her by the arms, grab her around the leg
or the waist. They approach her from the back and throw their arms
around her. She laughs. They pull on her arms and try to climb up. She lets them try once or twice or three times. You know, instead of saying, "Stop." when she sees one running toward her.
She routinely allows children in her
personal space even when they're not running up to grab her.
If you're a
thinking adult, you know that isn't a great idea. That blurring of physical
boundaries between children and an adult is a huge issue and should not be happening. If you are a child care provider, you should have known that years ago. And never let things progress to that point.
"Oh, but Kyra is a safe adult?"
I hope she is.
But
kids who are comfortable running up and grabbing an adult like that are
more likely to be unworried when some trusted adult grabs them. They
don't even see an issue because they're accustomed to that contact. It may not be on purpose, but she is setting them up to be preyed on.
Yes, it is that serious.
In the positions we're in, that sort of activity should never be happening.
Put succinctly, As child care providers, it is not appropriate for us to allow children to climb us like a fuckin' tree.
Yeah, that seems pretty clear. No ambiguity, right?
And speaking of ambiguous.
Don't punish kids for acting like kids. If they bounce around a little while they're standing in line waiting for you to SHUT the hell UP (blah blah blah blah blah blah blah) don't tell them they're misbehaving.
Holy crap, Woman, you act like you've never met a kid before.
All week, Kyra has alternately threatened to withhold a reward while simultaneously promising something good to the kids.
There's a clear plastic (hey, at least she got that right) jar of beads, partially filled, sitting by the entry door. When the kids are 'good' they might get a handful of beads!! In the jar!! So if they fill the jar this week, they can have a MOVIE on Wednesday!! And a special treat!
But (and here we need to put on a very doleful tone and look serious and authoritative) "If you can't control yourselves, you will not earn this movie!"
Now let's have some honesty here, shall we, Bubbles?
Lying to children is a crappy thing to do. Deliberately keeping them off-balance for the purposes of controlling them isn't even necessary.
Quit being an asshole.
If you have to assert your dominance over and over and over, multiple times every hour, you're not actually in charge.
To make it really, really clear... If you're having to repeat your empty threats over and over and over and over and over all day long... it's not the children who are slow to catch on.
You're playing some stupid control game and you've already lost.
The only people out of control are you and your sidekick.
OF COURSE you're going to show the movie, you will be able to do absolutely nothing for the entire time it's on.
You can sit and watch the kids while they watch a movie. They won't be annoying each other. They won't be doing any childish behaviors like laughing or jumping up and down or talking out of turn.
So the constant barrage of, "Be good or you won't get a handful of beads!" is a fucking lie. It's also a shit thing to do when most of the kids in your group are behaving exactly the way you want them to.
It is colossally unfair of you to punish the little people who are doing nothing but what you've asked by withholding your approval due to the actions of a few kids who are acting like children. Which of course is what children do and why are you in this line of work anyway? You don't seem to like the little people you've been entrusted with at all.
You're punishing children for doing nothing wrong.
And the few who still have a little backbone and refuse to stand silently in line/pick up the toys 'fast enough'/ line up (silently) to wash hands/ line up (silently) to go outdoors/line up (silently) to come back indoors?
I think they deserve a medal.
While we're on the subject of beads and rewards, make up your mind. Are you going to give them beads or are you going to take them away? It's kind of shitty for you to give them 'handfuls' of beads and after the jar is almost full, start threatening them with, "I am going to TAKE SOME BEADS AWAY if you don't settle down!"
This is going on all day long. And Kyra's sidekick has bought into the whole rewards and punishment and rewards and punishment thing, and while Kyra is out for lunch, continues spewing the same bullshit at the kids.
I'm stuck at that site one more time tomorrow so Kyra and Dingdong can have their lunch breaks (unless there are 15 children or fewer, then I'm off the hook) and then I'm outa there.
I don't ever want to go back, although apparently it might happen, still.
I will say something if I'm asked to go there again, though.
I've been asked many times why I don't do a prize box.
Why I don't hand out little trinkets for pleasing the adult in charge.
No little toys or gadgets for marching in a line and doing what they're told when they're told to do it and for not doing anything of their own volition?
Behaving like good little automatons?
Gah.
They're children.
They act like children.
They're good kids, they want to do the right thing and most of the time, they do. They don't have to be threatened or cajoled. They usually find their own way, and if they're doing something that's going to get them hurt, will hurt someone else or damage property, a simple, "We don't do that here," applied consistently is almost always all that's required. Sometimes a conversation and explanation of why the behavior is unacceptable.
A reminder.
Not a reward or punishment.
I try to base my interactions with other humans on honesty and respect. Playing stupid games has no place in a straightforward relationship.
Followers
Tuesday, November 23, 2021
Bubbles is a bully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Being professional means you are doomed to be aggravated by people who, while should be, aren't professional. Worse, when it involves children.
ReplyDeleteI have said (to my employer) that we are only as good as the worst program we have, and that while I don't believe we should have standard programs, I think we should have standards.
DeleteGuess you know how that worked out, since we still have programs like the one I'm heading out to in about 20 minutes.
::sigh:::
My biggest issue, reading the whole reward with a bead, punish with a bead thing, is: what EXACTLY does she mean when she says "If you behave" or "you need to settle down"?? It's all so very vague and open for interpretation. Her interpretation. I always try to be specific when I lay out my expectations for any kids in my care. And, I don't get after them for something they didn't know.
ReplyDelete"Anna, next time, let's not throw the playdough at the dog." Why should I "punish" her when she honestly was just having fun with the dog and didn't know it's going to make the dog barf??
Most kids will be glad to comply with specific expectations, if they're clear. But this lady is just being lazy!! Urg!
Clueless. And this is why kids are constantly testing her boundaries. They're not clear, even to her. She isn't sure what she wants exactly, and not always sure what she doesn't want. She only knows it when she sees it.
DeleteI'm not a fan of making everyone do the same programming and do everything the same way. Individual adjustments have to be made for different sites/kids.
But she thinks she's really good at what she does and she's just... clueless.
WE need to clone you.
ReplyDeleteIf there are big cash incentives, I will consider it.
DeleteKids need time to act like kids.
ReplyDeleteI could not agree more. Beyond that very real need, they also deserve our respect and our honesty. Bubbles isn't just oblivious to the needs of her kids, she's dishonest and disrespectful.
DeleteWe're required to have multiple hours of training every year in child development. I know she's taken those courses. She sure doesn't seem to have learned much from them, though.
She isn't an ogre or a horrible person. And she does seem to care about the young people she's watching... but she doesn't understand them at all and would probably not recognize herself in the above story.
Haha, wait until you hear about the whole movie experience on Wednesday!!
LOL