When I go to bed at night I lie there and think, 'oh I should write about _____.'
Some of the ideas are actually good ones.
Then I sleep. And sleep and sleep. I get up at 10. Or 11. No matter what time it is, I have to MAKE myself get out of bed.
Now before you go all aghast, I don't usually go to bed until midnight-ish. Maybe a little before, but then I lie there awake.
I
finally fall asleep only to wake up when Eric gets up to pee. And,
since I'm 60 years old, apparently the pee fairy thinks I need to pee,
too. If for some reason I manage to go back to sleep instead, it's
usually about an hour before the pee fairy whaps me upside the head,
laughing maniacally, and tells me to get the fuck up and go pee. Usually
adding I told you so and what, you think you're 20 again?
Aggravating. But I don't have a clue what to do about it.
He gets up at 4:40, and I usually wake up then, too. I get up to pee AGAIN. Then, since I'm up already, I wait for him to get dressed and join me in the kitchen so I can send him off for the day with a hug. I still love the guy. I appreciate how hard he works and how many hours he puts in to take care of me. He's a good man and I'm lucky to have him.
I go back to bed, of course. And I end up lying there until six or seven or sometimes even 8 before I can drift back off to sleep.
I know, 'why don't you get up'.
Because then I'd end up having to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon and mess up making dinner for the guy. Which is something I love doing. I haven't cooked much in many years since my schedule is so wonky. Me getting home between 6:30 and 7 PM means that it's usually Eric cooking, at least while the world is open.
So that broken sleep/awake/sleep/awake thing's going on nightly.
I'm tired and crabby.
I don't know about you, but I just have no volition. The house is a mess. Although I've been staying mostly caught up with laundry and dishes, so that's something. Or maybe I just want it to be something but it's really more like nothing.
I received the first dose of the vaccine on the 9th.
Had to go to the Oregon Convention Center for it.
I had planned to drive, if you're going there for vaccinations parking is free. But it *is* a little hectic driving down there, so after some deliberation (and conversation with the man) I decided to ride the train.
I'm sure you and the passengers are relieved to know that I did not sing any karaoke on the train, although I'd planned to if I drove.
And because I take situational awareness very seriously, I don't listen to anything on my headphones. I plug them into my ears, though. It's almost like wearing a 'do not disturb' sign around your neck.
Seems to be a conversational deterrent, at least.
I prefer to be completely left alone but I want to hear everything that's going on around me.
They're running trains at limited capacity, so instead of waiting 20 minutes between trains it was about seven. One nice thing about the plague, I guess. Except riding the train is a little sketchy at times. Or rather some of the people who get off and on are a little... strange.
First, everyone is supposed to wear a mask.
Of course there are always a couple assholes that can't manage to follow simple instructions, whether in the store or on the train. Either the mask is hanging around their neck, off one ear or missing completely. Then you get the I'm-sort-of-complying-but-fuck-you-I-don't-care-if-you-die crowd who wear it but defiantly below their noses because they're too fucking stupid to realize their noses are connected to their respiratory systems.
There are masks available ON THE DAMN TRAIN in a little box mounted on one of the panels next to the doors. But there was at least one unmasked asshole going both directions.
And there was one interesting critter who got on the train where I did, got off the stop before mine, then got back on the damn train when I was on my way home an hour later.
He was not sober. Twitchy and definitely hopped up on something. He frantically paced the aisle of the train, back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. Gesticulating wildly, hands flying, carrying on an urgent discussion with someone no one else could see. He was tall, probably about 6'5". I know he weighed more than 40 lbs, but he was pretty scrawny.
No mask, of course.
He was not really present, if ya know what I mean.
I didn't make eye contact with him. Didn't act like I could even hear his commentary. Oh I heard the sounds, but he may as well have been reading random words from a list.
It was... interesting.
Okay, so I made it to the Convention Center.
They have things incredibly organized, I did not have to stand and wait at all. They kept the line moving quickly, I was handed papers to fill out (brought my own pen) and as soon as the papers were ready, followed the handy arrows on the floor to the big room where the shots were being administered.
In answer to 'are you allergic to any foods' and 'have you ever had a reaction to a vaccine' I explained the reaction I'd had to a tetanus shot a LONG time ago and the weird relatively recent apple reaction.
So instead of the regulation 15 minutes, I was asked to stay for half an hour in the waiting area after the injection.
The person who gave me the shot was very good, there was ZERO pain. I swear to you that I didn't even notice it. Likewise the bandage she slapped on. I'll have to remember to ask them to NOT bandage it next time, I get a little contact dermatitis from the adhesive and it's NOT FUN to have an itch that hurts like hell when you scratch it, especially during your already broken sleep.
I was issued a sticker with a time written on it in sharpie and directed to a waiting area, full of other people who'd been shot around the same time.
I did not look at the sticker, thinking that I had to wait until 11:20. This was because I didn't know what time I'd been injected, although I should have, there were BIG RED DIGITAL CLOCKS in three places around the room.
But I put in my headphones, turned on some music and ignored most of the universe until then.
I got up and left. On my way out, I peeled the sticker off and saw that it said 11:05. So I listened to a few extra minutes of music, which isn't a bad way for me to waste time.
No reaction at the time, other than the surreal feeling I had over all of it.
I was given the Pfizer vaccine, although from what I've learned, it really doesn't matter which one. It's apparently 85% effective with the first dose, which makes me feel a little safer than I felt before. I will feel a lot better after dose #2, which happens on the 4th of March.
I had some residual soreness in the muscle of my left arm. Three days worth, give or take, although day #2 was the worst of it.
My understanding is that the second dose is the one that will make me feel like crap for a couple days, although it does not do that to everyone. I am hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones and feel okay.
After the requisite two weeks post-injection, I can call my employer and see if they have anything for me. I'm guessing they won't until school starts in the fall, but I do know they definitely want me back.
And I want to go back. I love working for this organization, and of course I've always loved the work itself. I miss the kids, I miss the craft projects and the silliness and the drama and the camaraderie and the hot battery smell of a crowd of busy kids.
So how are you doing?
Miss me?
I've been less-than-motivated to write, too. And haven't been reading blogs. I plan to make the rounds here in the next couple days.
I think I'm back?
Followers
Friday, February 19, 2021
::yawn:::
Labels:
aimless rambling,
the virus,
wtf-ness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had the first shot a few days ago also. No bad reaction or soreness whatsoever. I was out shoveling snow later that day.
ReplyDeleteI always answer the allergy question yes also. Supposedly when I was a kid I had a reaction to penicillin. I don't remember anything about it. But I get quizzed. What happens? I don't know. Well does this or that happen? I don't know. I need to go to an allergist and get tested to see if I'm still sensitive.
I'm glad you didn't have a reaction. Sorry about having to shovel snow, though. Eric did ours so we could get the car out to go to the store during the week.
DeleteExcept for the *really* sore arm, I didn't notice anything different. I will hope that I get through #2 without issues.
My across-the-street neighbor had never had an issue with penicillin... until she did.
Her youngest child was home, fortunately, because when she had a grand mal seizure and fell down the stairs, his 8 year old brain was smart enough to call 911. She recovered just fine, and they told her that it's not all that unusual to go through life NOT allergic to penicillin... until suddenly you are.
Hell of a way to find out.
Welcome back...maybe. So glad to hear you got started with the vaccine and I hope you won't have any reactions to the second dose. The train sounds like quite the adventure! You cracked me up about the pee fairy. The pee fairy bothers me constantly too. Have a great weekend :)
ReplyDeleteThe pee fairy was a benign presence when I was a child. I wrote about it awhile back. My grandpa Jim invented this pee fairy for me when I stayed dry through either naptime or nighttime. He was pretty elaborate with the story. Let me see if I can find the post... don't go away. Ah. Here ya go.
Deletehttps://amimental.blogspot.com/2007/02/pee-fairy.html
I have been doing the broken sleep thing for a lot of years for various reasons. It definitely makes you tired and crabby. Trying to get anything going of substance is pretty impossible. If I have a good day, then I have to do everything I can, knowing it will make me useless the next day, but, the other side is that things DID get done, so I can appreciate that part of it, no matter how down it makes me to be so frantic. The biggest issue is living with 6 other people who don't care that they are leaving a mess. They are personally affronted when I have the NERVE to ask them to participate in clean up. Major eye roll there. I've had to learn to live with a certain amount of junk, even if it drives me crazy, and deal with it on the good days. At least I know that no one is going to drop by and see our combined level of sloth. I am hoping for the best on the vaccine front. We're at the bottom levels, which is fine, but we've also been following all the damn rules since BEFORE the previous president decided to say, well, it's not that big of a deal, but... yeah it's out there. Because we pay attention to news about other countries and have an idea that germs travel with people. Again, eye roll. So we were at least mentally prepared and not shocked for the outcomes. Also angry but that's for another day. We live in a very non-compliant area and have lost several family friends from back home and a few church members locally as well. All elderly but that doesn't make it any better. We know the damn germs don't discriminate and we have a large target in our household. Even if we don't get majorly ill, we could easily spread it given our family make up, so you know, we follow the damn rules. Anyway, I am at odds mentally with a lot of people so I feel like maybe I should start writing again. At least for myself.
ReplyDeleteDO start writing again, even if you don't share with the world... although I'd hope you would. Always liked reading your blog.
DeleteI don't understand the non-compliance. You'd think people would have caught on to the lies of Cult 45s figurehead and would act accordingly, but no. Stupid is all over them.
I read the other day that he told more than 30 THOUSAND lies while he was in office... but those were just the public ones.
And turning a pandemic into a political statement was one of the worst things he did. I'm glad he's gone. What a bag of crap.
Yeah, keep following the actual science. It's not a guarantee but it's much smarter.
I am glad to hear you received the first dose....most of the people at work didn't have a problem with the second one, other than just feeling tired. I hope that's all you have to deal with!
ReplyDeleteTired is a way of life. I can definitely manage that. :-D
DeleteI am still impressed with the whole operation. They have it DOWN!
I have lots of things to write about, none of which is very exciting. My writing is my therapy, so I should be writing about the boy for myself, to get it all out of my head but I have a hard time writing about Youngest because so much of it is out of my control. I feel like a liar if I mention the good and he takes a turn, and I find that focusing on the good tiny things, just magnifies the set backs.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to get the shot. We are still on the "unidentified essentials" list so it will be July before we can go I suspect. In the mean time I check daily for my Mum and Dad, with no luck. Seems when you open the websites up for an additional 1M people, the site will crash and be unreliable OFTEN.
I was glad to find out my parents had gotten their first doses. They live in a very small town in E Oregon. My dad got all weird, though, insisting they arrive four hours early. When he decides something like that he gets a little mean. Okay, a lot.
DeleteI keep telling my mom she has all the power now. And suggesting she do something about resetting the clocks in the house 'cause there's simply no way to derail the power train once it starts chugging along.
I know I live a long way away and that I don't really know you... but it seems that keeping track of the good tiny things might help when things aren't so great.
Writing is amazing therapy, actually.
We have one hell of a system for vaccine administration here in Oregon, but my god we have a lot of dumbass politicians.
I'm glad you were able to get the first dose. They are only giving it here to health care workers and people over 65 right now. I want to get it but I haven't had a vaccination is 35 years. That last tetanus shot I had when I was 15 swelled my arm up really bad and I missed a couple of days of school from it. I guess I should get one of those too.
ReplyDeleteIn Oregon the first doses went to healthcare workers/first responders. The second round, which is where I got in, is for teachers/school personnel/childcare providers. They're serious about getting people back to work here and for that to happen people need child care.
DeleteI'm not looking forward to the 2nd dose but am looking forward to being past it. And back to work.
People who are allergic to tetanus shots (I am one of them) don't necessarily even need one. (Mostly, no one needs one). But if one has to get one, a 10th of a dose, given subcutaneously over a period of time gives complete effectiveness without the awful reaction.
I do the ridiculous broken sleep thing, too, with slight variations. My wife is the pee fairy (love this!) victim, but I gotta say, she downs gallons of water per day vs. me and my barely any water per day consumption. Anyway, I hate jobs and make us move more often than she cares for, and between that and our cat, sleep only comes in fits and bits in our house. Most often it's the cat. But we love her and wouldn't change her for the world. I'll be back to read you more first chance I get.
ReplyDeleteomg I would rather go through labor than move. Hence the REALLLLLY long roots that have kept us in this house since 1996 and in the same little geographic area since 1989.
DeleteAlthough before that we moved, hm, let me think here, seven times in the 9 years between our wedding in 1980 and moving to Oregon in 89.
I get so frustrated with the sleep thing. I know I'd feel better if I slept allll the way through the night. I don't know what to do about it, though.
I know what you mean about finding it hard to get things done. I've been working from home since March. I thought, early on, that I'd be so productive at home and get so many things done. Wrong! I've struggled, and failed, to even keep up with the basics. I'm finally starting to get some motivation back. That's great that you've gotten the first dose. My husband works in the emergency services and got his second dose a week and a half ago. He had no side effects from the second dose. His are was bruised, but that was all. There seems to be a lot of variation in how people react
ReplyDeleteME TOO!! I used to say, "If only I had uninterrupted time, I would get ___ and ___ and ___ done!!"
DeleteTurns out, that wasn't the issue.
I have heard some horror stories about the vaccine and found that the information seems to just disappear. Sort of scary, and I don't trust 90% of what 'they' tell me.
But I still plan to get 2nd dose and get back to work, I miss my kids SO much!!!
Your post cracked me up! Loved what you shared about noncompliant mask wearers.
ReplyDeleteOh it's SO AGGRAVATING.
DeleteEven if the science were wrong (it's not) WHY wouldn't you wear a mask if it MIGHT help others? The demos are out there on YouTube, one of them that comes to mind is the guy breathing/talking in the cold. You see his breath come out in big clouds. Then he puts on a mask. The difference is incredible.
Half a million people in the US have died.
If people had worn the damn mask in the first place and if our shit excuse for a president had made a fucking effort, that would not have happened.
Unforgivable.
So when I see the nose sticking out or some dumb shit who thinks wearing a clear shield is good enough, I lose a bit of my good attitude (which isn't all that good)