Followers

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Insult to Injury

I wish I had something other than a cliche for the title.

If I thought about it a little, I might be able to come up with something, but I'm not that ambitious right now.
::sigh:::

So Providence managed to find my paperwork and properly process billing for the Mongolian clusterfuck (x2) in the ER.

Now, instead of $6500, I 'only' owe $850.00.
FOR EACH VISIT.

I also haven't heard what happened with the investigation. What I wanted to have happen is that my letters/words would be printed out and given to everyone involved in not bothering to take care of business. I don't know if that happened, but I'm going to ask.

I sent an email this morning.
It went to both the hospital investigator person and the clinic investigator person.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had negligent and plain incompetent care from my clinic and from the ER at Providence main campus in JULY.

It's now mid-September.
Doesn't matter, though, I'm still stuck with Providence if I want my insurance to cover.
After asking several friends for their recommendations, I have made an appointment at a different Providence clinic to consult a different provider and see if she might be able to understand my needs and provide competent care, but they're unable to see me until mid-October.
Since I have an ongoing condition and a prescription that expires in a little over a week, I have no choice but to go back to the same clinic that made the string of errors and patronized and dismissed me when I called for help.

I am not happy about this.
It makes me feel sick and scared.
I don't even want to walk back through those doors.
Neither of those hospital visits would have happened if I hadn't been prescribed (different) medication(s) one after the other after the other after the other that I didn't need in the first place.

My life was endangered because of that and because no one I spoke to on the phone at the clinic seemed to understand that 220/178 BP was a life-threatening emergency.
My doctor, with whom I had developed some degree of trust, seems to be gaslighting me.

At least that's the impression I have received from the bits of correspondence on MyChart.

Let's admit I wouldn't have a gigantic hospital bill that happened SOLELY because of negligence on the part of my "healthcare" provider.

And that no one ever called to find out how I was doing after the craziness. When I had to take our dog to the vet for some routine care, they called me three times in the next week to make sure she was doing okay post-treatment.


Let's not forget that I've heard absolutely NOTHING about the resolution of any of these issues.

I'm not inclined to sit quietly and wait any longer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I  got a response from the person in charge of investigating the hospital side of things. "Reviews have been completed at the hospital and follow up done with nursing, security, MD"  Her email also contained this line, "The billing for your hospital stay is on hold as well while we investigate. "

So I responded.

"Right now I'm holding an 'explanation of benefits' that came in the mail a couple days ago.
It tells me my responsibility for the craziness and incompetence and callous disregard for my health is almost $850.00. There is no mention of this bill being 'on hold', either."

She responded quickly. "
I am going to look at the billing today and see what I can do. Be right back to you ASAP! So sorry for your worries Susan, this is just added on top of everything else going on right now."

So we'll see.
With the things that have happened, I am not expecting miracles.

It would be nice to have one, but I'm not expecting it.

I'm definitely going to ask if my words were passed on, though.
It would be nice to hear they had.

14 comments:

  1. I feel you pain. I need a pfrocedure the VA will pay for but it requires a $275 overnight hospital stay I must pay for. I have United Health Care Medicare + that may, or may not,pay a portion. Trying to pry and answer out of UHC isn't working. Ended up in a call center, female with that infuriating Indian accent and supercilious attitude. aarg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that. It aggravates me so much to have 'good' insurance and be stuck with ridiculous bills and co pays.

      I have no issue with people from other countries coming here and actually working/being productive members of society. But I really hate getting someone on the other end of the phone who does not speak English clearly. I have actually said, "I pressed one for English, could I have that option now, please?"

      Delete
  2. Medical billing. Sort of like the oxymoron military intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sort of disgusted by the price they wanted to charge me when they thought I was uninsured (6500) and the price given to my insurance company (1763) How is that okay or fair or right? It's all disgusting and wrong.

      Delete
  3. There's just no reason that it should take this long to clear up but I know it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like nothing I've ever seen. And I don't want to see it again, either.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm... I hate that you have to go back because of the prescription. But glad you're not in the procrastination zone.

    and... that's all I got. Because my mind is toast. And not the good kind of toasted either. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're allowed some down time. Sounds like you need it.

      Delete
  5. I sure hope you get that miracle. It feels like it is the least they can do after all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I still can't believe all the shit that happened.

      Delete
  6. It would be nice to get a Miracle right about now. I'm upset right now with the Base Pharmacy by doing away with the Diabetic Testing strips for the Machine that was excellent and now using the most inferior type imaginable that goes with a Machine that is crap and gives more Error Messages than Readings! I went to a Civilian set of Pharmacies to see how much the Old Test Strips would cost, $169 a Box! So, that's out of the question, since a Box doesn't even last a Month! Insurance Companies and Western Medicine just piss me off, profiteering Bastards most of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awful! Is there someone you can contact to complain? Yeah, I know, that's probably pointless. Sometimes pharmaceutical companies will give you amazing coupons or free stuff, also check into GoodRx, they sometimes have great coupons, too. A medication I have for eczema is over 100 bucks for one little tube, with a GoodRx coupon at sprawlmart it was 33.

      I definitely share your anger at the state of 'care' in the US. I have many, many friends who've been affected by it.

      Delete
  7. Medical/hospital "bills" make me nuts. There have been horror stories on the news, not sure if you've seen those reports ~ and yet it still continues because they are counting on us blindly paying without question. Sort of sounds like politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible to me that they can charge over 6 grand for a visit to an emergency room, especially a fucked up mess like that.

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?