Adults are NOT fine, we're obsessing and worrying and stressing and wondering how we're supposed to pay the bills. We know how dangerous life is, how short it is and how many things can go wrong.
If we're doing the adult thing correctly, all that worry isn't visible to the kids, though. I don't know about you, I'm not capable of hiding my worries that well.
I see a lot of stuff on the news (not just now, during the pandemic but during many other events/crises) along the lines of 'zomggggg what will we tell the childrunnn???' and snort and roll my eyes.
Most adults have forgotten what it was like to be a child.
Kids are resilient and accept their circumstances and day to day existence without a lot of thought.
Let's do a small experiment. We don't have to write anything down, wear lab coats or goggles and we won't have to defend our conclusion to any panels of other scientists who are competing for funding and trying to poke holes in our theories.
Just an experiment here in the Mental Clubhouse.
Okay, are you ready?
You, over there in the corner, stop talking to your neighbor and try to pay attention, could you?
Now.
Really try to remember being six years old.
Since I'm asking you to remember, I'm making that same effort.
For me, the age of six was 53 years ago.
I remember that losing my first tooth (my mom didn't think to prepare me for it and I had NO IDEA it was going to happen and biting into an apple and having my front tooth come out was one goddamn large trauma, thank you) while perched in an apple tree in a yard in Montrose, Colorado was the BIG event of the year.
I also remember my teacher's face but not her name and that I got lost nearly every day while walking the five blocks to school.
I surreptitiously watched other kids and nonchalantly followed them so I could make it to and from school, no, it never occurred to me to tell my mom I was lost.
I had a red bookbag that was sent to me by my great aunt, I loved Dr Seuss books and watching Lost in Space, Batman and the Wild, Wild West with my dad. I sat on his lap and we ate sardines and crackers together.
The washing machine was in our bathroom (when I took a bath and laid back in the tub my legs floated) and I shared a bedroom with my little brother.
Another interesting memory... when we bought the washing machine, the appliance place (Gambles, I think) gave us a gigantic bright orange stuffed rabbit, which we hauled with us every time we moved until I was in the 5th grade.
Every time my mom bought a box of laundry soap, there was a free floral bath towel in the box.
My grandparents lived in the same town as I did when I was six.
They had hardwood floors and brushed aluminum tumblers, from which I was served 7-up over ice whenever we visited.
There were a bunch of other kids my age in the neighborhood to play with and I usually wore red or blue Keds with white laces and rubber toes.
I had a pair of dark forest green capri-length pants, my mom called them 'pedal pushers'. I often wore them with a turtleneck shirt that said Hootenanny on the front.
Without assistance from Google, I can't tell you anything about politics, national or local emergencies or what was on the news, but I can still remember the lyrics of most of the folk music that was popular at the time. I actually own quite a few CDs with music from those years.
We had a light green Dodge Lancer with push button drive and a back seat that folded down for both access to the trunk and to make a bed when we traveled.
My dad wore a hard hat and work boots when he went to work in the morning and I was fascinated with the plumb bob he carried on his belt. He had one of the old fashioned dome lunch boxes and a series of plaid thermoses.
He built me a transit from an erector set that went across the room on string.
My mom always looked beautiful. She wore a dress and lipstick. The apartment we lived in was always clean. Much cleaner than the house I keep these days.
I remember many more things, but they're just more bits and pieces. I don't remember things from that time of my life in linear fashion at all. I don't remember what was upsetting adults at the time, but I do remember my grandmother telling my mother that she'd heard them chanting on the radio, "Hey Hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"
I remember the recitation, but there was no context.
I didn't know he was the president, I didn't know we were at war.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So the oddness right now... the plague. The stress of having to stay home, wear a mask when out and about, not having to go to school... those are things that affect adults much more than kids. They'll remember it, of course, but I don't know that they'll attach the same importance to it that we, as adults, do.
I think the grownups are the ones being traumatized with today's events.
What do you think?
And what was it like when YOU were six?
I serve 650 homes a day. Some think that this is all a big joke. Some are still scared to leave their house. Some are doing it reluctantly, but most are judging each other. Which is I think, is the worst part. Instead of everyone just trying to get along and work together, everyone seems to be judging who is right and who is wrong.
ReplyDeleteThe truth is, we are no safer today than we were three months ago. We just bought ourselves time to learn about this strain, and now the hospitals can handle an influx of patients. Was the time spent worth the cost to the economy, mental health, etc. of the country? None of us will know.
I can tell you that while it did not hit us financially, it did hit us mentally. The shutdown allowed a perfect storm of chaos to happen here, a giant spiral of quicksand that will be very hard to get out of. My hope is that as things start to return to *normal* we can pull up and out of it with all our limbs in tact and at least one shoe.
The circumstances were allowed to fester, simply due to a lack of options, and the consequences and ever reaching. While the kids aren't little I hope that some day when the boys look back, they can see the good and bad parts of it, learn from it, and not look back.
I can't tell you much about when I was 6, other than it was 1980. I had a bunny. I spent Christmas without my mother because my *stupid* brother just HAD to be born. My dad fed us a lot of beef stick for dinner while she was in the hospital. We still joke about it.
People are going batshit crazy, thinking the danger is over. And it's not okay to open restaurants or this store or that store or have concerts but it's fine to have 10 thousand people rioting, coughing on each other from the effects of the tear gas, packing together like sardines...?? My most-used expression when reading news stories is WTAF?!??
DeleteI'm pretty sure the hospitals are going to be overrun. Too much opening too soon.
As for you being six years old in 1980, that's the year I got married.
I'm feeling pretty old right about now.
My folks had those metal tumblers, in color! I always thought drinks were colder in them, the way the condensation collected on the outside of the textured metal tumbler. Wish i still had them.
ReplyDeleteI have a bunch of things from my grandparents. When my mom and her sister cleaned out the house many years ago, I asked for very specific things. Most of them I received. I wish I'd thought to ask for those, but I didn't. I saw a couple on a website somewhere not too long ago and the WHOLE memory came back of how the 7-up tasted, the sound the ice made in the cup, the feel of my granparents' living room... all of it. Funny what our minds keep.
DeleteMy grandson is 7 years old. He comes over three days a week and is a happy kid because he has no idea anything is going on. School will start gain in August and the kids will be going back to the classroom, that's what they are saying now at least. We go for walks with the dog, he goes to the store with his mom, they go out to eat. Pretty much everything is same same as it ever was here.
ReplyDeleteWe are re-opening here. I don't understand the logic in allowing huge demonstrations/protests where everyone is coughing tear gas and spit and covid on each other but I can't go get a haircut if I wear a mask and am the only customer in the salon.
DeleteMy school is closed, summer camps are running at like 1% (for kids of first responders/essentialworkers) and I'm missing my kids.
The world has gone crazy, that's all.