ONLY necessary outings.
Which means groceries only, and it's going to be awhile before we'll need anything, we're stocked up.
The scheduling email that came out from my employer this afternoon has 11 out of 63 working this coming week. I think 63 is right... not sure.
But that was before our governor declared us locked down. I wonder now if they'll be working or running any kind of programs.
I also received an email from the state's Early Learning Division.
Here's an excerpt:
You are receiving this email because the ELD is actively recruiting child care substitutes, caregivers who would provide care in a child’s home, and staff to support Oregon’s medical personnel, emergency responders and other essential staff to be able to work during this public health crisis.
As
an existing or former member of Oregon’s early care and education
workforce, we know that you are prepared and skilled with the knowledge
and capability to provide healthy, safe and responsive care to young
children in Oregon.
If you are not currently working in child care, but are willing to be mobilized to serve your community during this time, click here. We will work closely to match you with the location, setting and schedule that most aligns with your preferences.
Emergency child care will be provided in the following settings:
- In a licensed home or child care center that is open for business during this emergency
- In a school that is providing emergency child care and is registered with the Office of Child Care in the ELD
- If
you indicate it is allowable, we will also provide your name to medical
personnel, emergency responders or other essential staff that are
interested in someone providing care in their homeI clicked on the link and went to check it out, just curious.
Sometimes you can click through and see the questions and stuff without having to answer them, but not this time. So I don't know too much about it. I'm going to be 60 in December (if this shit doesn't kill me) and I'm not really comfortable with the idea of going to someone's home or any other facility except for the one I usually work in.
But I took the trouble of forwarding the email to our manager, not sure if he is subscribed to ELD emails. Working somewhere else and taking care of other kids isn't something we're supposed to do, conflict of interest, possible liabilities with regards to the company.
So we're able to be at home for quite some time more or less comfortably, but the uncertainty is making me a little crazy. Actually even more than that, but I don't know how to put it into words.
I am thinking about the people I love and how far away they are. Even if we were all in the same neighborhood we're not supposed to be getting together, though.
Are you freaking out?
I have a feeling there will be more freaking out than I'd really like.
Wonder if I should take up drinking.
Hm.
The only reason I am freaking out is the financial end of things. I have 3 weeks of paid time off on the books. Next week, as far as I know, we will only be in the office on Wednesday ~ this is to see people with dental emergencies and essential care (broken teeth, broken dentures/partials, abscesses, etc). And mostly the freak out is because we have no idea how long we will need to shelter in place. Even my bosses are worried, even though they told us they have emergency funds ~ our overhead is huge.
ReplyDeleteBut, rather than sit here worrying my brains out, I'm going to simply find shit to do. Distract myself. Make some bread. And I was thinking we need to establish "game time" and play monopoly or cards each evening.
Be well, Ami!
Okay, I don't know all your financial stuff, but didn't you write about your mortgage being paid off? That has to help set your mind at ease just a little. :)
DeleteI have a TON of things that need doing. I put them off all the time because of this or that excuse, and now I don't have any excuses, do I?
We are watching movies or documentaries together in the evenings. Having conversations the same way we usually do. We did all our running around yesterday, including a visit to the Chinese Grocery pharmacy for my hubby's arthritis oil that he rubs on his hands.
I know I'd feel better if I knew how long I need to be worried.
Hang in there, it does help to know that we're not worrying alone.
I anticipate by May I will be swamped delivering delinquency mortgage letters.
ReplyDeleteSo many people living on the edge.
DeleteWe'll never be the same after this.
I'm just hoping that everyone I know and love will survive this.
I have a wide range of feelings--fear, anger, distrust, indifference, and even relief. This sudden, forced slow down of life was needed,for me at least. No dashing here or there, no worrying about how I'm gonna fit everybody's needs in to MY schedule. But. I definitely didnt want people to be sick!! I just wish everyone would take this seriously so it can be over with sooner. And, for love of God, leave some groceries for us normal people!!
ReplyDeleteI was feeling a little burned out. But this... this wasn't anything I'd ever have imagined. Yes on taking it seriously. STAY HOME. Amazing how people get crazy and start hoarding. Or thinking they need to claw their way to the top... by buying 200 rolls of TP.
Delete