Followers

Friday, March 08, 2019

More Vacation

It seems that my new computer doesn't like my camera.
I know I still have the disc that came with the camera around here somewhere, so I'll have to see what I can do. I actually did get a couple of decent photos in between a bunch of out-of-focus-because-I-didn't-have-my-reading-glasses shots.

On Monday night we drove to an area just down the road and parked to watch the sunset. I got out and took a few photos. From what I can see of them on that little tiny camera screen, at least two of them turned out.

We stayed in Depoe Bay.
That link has the history of the area, if you're interested.
I had no idea the place was so fascinating.

It's a quirky wide spot in the road, but we like staying there as it's not really a destination-type place unless you want to buy kitschy little souvenirs.

It's more a place to sleep so you can wander up and down the coastline. We did a little wandering, but not as much as in the past. I think we were both really tired and ready to be lazy, if I had to tell the truth. Which I try to (mostly) do.

Swiped this photo from the website, but they must have used a hell of a lens, because it's not actually this big. But it is a nice place.






We packed up on Friday morning to get out of the house by noon (almost made it, too, it was 12:22 when we closed the front door behind us).

I was stopped in the middle of my packing when I realized I hadn't washed the load of light colored clothing I'd planned to wash the night before. This was important because I had some unwashed underwear (tie dyed, of course) and only one clean pair.
Which I was wearing.

A lesser woman would have been unsure of what to do.
Not this one, though. I grabbed a big ziploc bag and threw all my dirty underwear in it and tossed it in the suitcase along with 6 movies that we didn't watch, the mouse pad for my computer and some clean socks. (Yes, I sealed the ziploc bag, sheesh!!)

I have learned to pack a lot lighter than I used to.  Two extra shirts, one pair of jeans and a bunch of socks in case of wet feet, although I didn't walk on the beach this time, sometimes my knee is good enough that I can. A big t shirt to sleep in. Slippers.

I used to bring SO many clothes. A fresh set for every day we planned to be gone.
I eventually realized that I mostly didn't wear them, though, going for the same one or two shirts, topped with a zipped up hooded sweatshirt, a pair of jeans and the same pair of shoes the whole time and doing a load of laundry nightly.

Yes, that's right, I only own ONE pair of shoes. 
I have these giant orthotics that go into my shoes.
They're specifically designed to take pressure off my knees as well as taking care of the fact that my ankles are severely pronated and I have absolutely no arch. If you look at my feet from the back as I stand, my insteps touch the floor. These clunky objects also add about two inches to my height, so hey... bright side!!

On the not-so-bright side, they make it impossible for me to wear women's shoes. I buy men's shoes in WIDE width. I need the width and deeper footbed to accommodate the orthotics.  I can buy women's shoes that are specially made, but they run about $400.00. Yes, that's right. So I shop at Big 5 sporting goods and buy as many pairs as I can find in my size when I go in. Then I change the laces and wear the hell out of them until I have to get out a new pair.

WHY doesn't this computer understand 'orthotics'? I get that red squiggly line every time I type it. Half a second while I fix that.

So I dye shoelaces. The ones I have now may be my favorite ones ever, shades of blue and purple and teal.

We crammed a lot of stuff into our little car.

The condominiums where we stay (my parents have a time share, otherwise we'd never go anywhere, I don't think) have a full kitchens and a (stacked and small) washer/dryer etc. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms. A bbq grill out on the balcony. It's a nice place. I think it cost us about a hundred dollars for our stay this time.

We hauled along my old laptop and my new laptop. I was hoping to get the new one up and running, which *did* happen, I am using it now, as a matter of fact.
Eric's big-assed PC came with us.
I brought a bin full of different art supplies, experimented with some watercolor, some paper art, drew a few pictures. I still don't consider myself an artist, more of a crafty-type person. But I do enjoy creating my little things.

Ice chest for the groceries we brought with us so they don't get warm on the two hour voyage. Not an issue this time, it's been rather unseasonably chilly. And yes, we do most of our shopping after we get there,  but we bring stuff, too. Seems stupid to go buy doubles of things like ketchup or milk when it's cheaper and makes more sense just to bring them along. Ditto the things like garlic powder and teabags.

I have an electric blanket for the car, Eric ("I'm an outdoor dog") likes to have a window cracked and I'd prefer not to complain (much) so I plug it in, toss my smaller afghan over the top of it and stay toasty.

Books to read. Movies to watch.

Turns out we didn't watch any movies.

Didn't play cribbage either, although I'd remembered the board and a deck of cards. I only wore two shirts, the third one just hung in the closet, looking lonely.

So next time we go, I won't bring as much to wear.
We'll skip the cribbage.
Hopefully I'll only have one laptop.

By the time our trip to the coast is in honor of our 50th anniversary (only eleven years from now, omg) we should have the packing down to an art form.

Infidel asked why people blog the other day. I'd link you directly to that post, but it doesn't appear to be an option. ANYWAY... I said that it's more of a personal journal for me. Which it is. Meaning it won't always be exciting to read. But lookie there... I wrote about our little trip in a way that will jog my memory for a long time to come.

And I may even find some photos to post.

I took the day off today and tomorrow even though we're back, I have a couple important errands to deal with.

And some dishes and laundry to do.
:::sigh::

8 comments:

  1. I'm curious, what sort of hobbies does your hubby do?? Like, if you're doing your artsy stuff, what is he doing??
    I love the coast, maybe next time I can be your chaperone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes to read. He also likes some blow-'em-up-and-make-sure-it's-loud game that he plays on his PC. He brought headphones and I could STILL hear it. Which is not a complaint but an observation.

      We don't need a chaperone, everything we do or consider doing is 100% legal. :-D

      Delete
  2. I liked Infidel's linked post on why we blog. There are a lot of bloggers out there and I like visiting and seeing what people post. I especially like seeing the pictures that others post from around the world. I know I'll never see most of those places in person so it's interesting to get to know people through blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading other people's blogs, too. The writers don't have to agree with me, either. I feel like we can't learn if we don't look at opposing viewpoints. So many people have things to say, I love that there's a platform where we can. I find the internet to be a sort of equalizer, too. If you *don't* have pictures to look at, it's a meeting of minds. Fascinating.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:35 PM

    We are twins! I vacationed at a condo in Depoe bay last year, I tie-dye my underwear, and I have flat feet and bad knees that require big honking orthotics (I recommend Brooks Beast walking shoes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We even have the same name. Unless you're not really a Susan. :)
      I find New Balance to be the best fit with the orthotics and I'm unwilling to try anything without the orthotics... they have saved my life.

      Delete
  4. The condo looks really nice! I'm glad you two were able to get away and relax a bit ~ we all need a little getaway. I hope you figure out how to download photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't sat down with uninterrupted time to do so, but I'll get there. The condos are very nice. I love having that time together. I've already made reservations for our next getaway, it's going to be a bit longer, and we're staying for 8 nights. It comes out to 10 bucks a night. And it's already paid for.

      now I just need to save some cash to flash while we're there...

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?