And what was lower than a glorified babysitter in that company?
I'll bet you can guess.
Even though we were the ones providing the programs and, you know, actually earning money for the company.
What's lower?
Nothing.
When I started working there in 2004, we were treated with a fair amount of respect and appreciation.
For example: The company had a rule that if you showed up for a scheduled shift and there weren't enough kids in attendance for your presence to be legally necessary, (legal ratio is 15:1,over 15 requires two adults) you got to make a choice. You could stay for two hours and be paid for that time or you could decide to leave.
You wouldn't be paid, but it was your choice.
Then some penny pinching fuckstick(s) decided that they'd no longer do that. So it could (and did) happen on occasion that a person could spend an hour or so getting ready for work, drive to whatever location he or she had been assigned to for the day, sometimes 20 miles in this area, and stay until all the kids were out of school, learn that only 14 of the scheduled 18 had shown up and then have to turn around and go back home. Between getting ready and driving, a person could spend two hours in preparation for working a shift.
If you figured out from that description that people were spending money to go to their job, you're pretty smart. There were a few who got stuck like that multiple times in a month and chose NOT to quit, but many more who figured out quickly that the company didn't give a shit about them and quit even sooner.
Those same mid-level shitbugs were always wringing their hands and wondering why people didn't want to work there. Most of them were a special kind of stupid.
Georgia, the manager who hired me was actually really good. She was kind, had a great sense of humor. Remembered our birthdays and other events, made sure people were enjoying their jobs. The KIDS liked her, and there is not a better barometer than that.
Unless it's a dog, dogs are great at judging character, too.
But when she had to sub at a site or fill in when there were too many kids, she always got along really well with the kids. In addition, when there were floors to sweep or mop or other chores, she wasn't afraid to pick up the damn broom.
Unfortunately she left in 2011.
Then we got Caustic as a manager. She would have been an insufferable asshole anyway, but since we'd had Georgia, Caustic looked even worse than she might have. What a dipshit. Go read those links, you won't believe one person can be such a jerk.
She was PROMOTED by the way. Moved off to Texas. Where her spiritual bad breath made a lot of people sick really fast and got fired. And good riddance.
Fair to say I don't miss her.
Her replacement arrived a few weeks later.
I didn't hate her, but she didn't inspire a lot of love, either.
I actually have a point here, but it's sort of in the future. Like the next couple posts. Funny, I didn't start out planning to get long winded.
Geez.
Now I have to add 'part 1' to the top of this.
How do these people get promoted? And I've always thought that the people who do the actual work should get paid the most. The administrative flunkies are the ones that should get the crappy end of the stick.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why they are placed above the people who actually handle things. I've seen it in many different lines of work, too. (Haven't always done this job.)It sucks, but hey,what the hell can I do about it?
DeleteIt's hard to believe that these bureaucrats get to make such sweeping rules and regs for those doing all the work.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was young I took smug satisfaction in the fact that most of the people who were in supervisory positions could not do my job if their lives depended on it. Now that I'm older, I just roll my eyes and call them names. Ha. And blog about them.
Delete