Voice message when I arrived at work this afternoon.
"Hello, this is Victor, you remember me, I am the father of Louis, who was in your program last year. I hope you had a nice holiday, hope you're doing well. I was wondering if Louis can attend your program after school even though he's not attending school there. I'll be waiting for your call."
I'm sure he psychically heard the, "FAAAACCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!" that did NOT come out of my mouth. It was close,though.
First thing I did is find our principal and talk with him about it. He's checking into a couple things which I can't really discuss here. Louis no longer attends our school. The program he's in all day is more,um,therapeutic.
Obviously I don't want him anywhere near my program. I'll be passing along the information to my employer tomorrow, hopefully it will be a definite NO.
Makes my eye twitch just to contemplate it.
The 'support' they gave me last year, after two school professionals told them there's no way they'd have him in a group with only one adult... well, yeah.The support was my employer writing reports to cover their asses to avoid being sued for discrimination. They didn't give a shit about what I was dealing with then and I'm sure they don't now, either.
Faaaccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!
In defense of Louis' father, you may be the only adult that made a positive difference in his son's life. That said, don't be guilted into taking him back.
ReplyDeleteBeen there back in the day. My first born autistic son was detested by most of the "educators" he came into contact with. One teacher did break through but it was nearly a full time effort for a few weeks and he had other students to consider.
I totally understand what you said at first. Louis lasted for six months in my program, five months longer than any other program he's ever been in. Even in infancy. I absolutely do NOT detest this child. I have a lot of compassion for him, I know his life isn't easy and that he can't help his issues. And if it were one on one,I think I could deal with him. But working alone and having 14 other kids, EVERYONE gets shortchanged, including me.
DeleteI hope they can find help for Louis, there is a lot of potential in him.
But a mainstream after school program with someone who cares a lot but has zero special training isn't the place.
Wow. That makes me feel sorry for you both actually. Good luck on this Ami!
ReplyDeleteThe poor kid. He cried from the depths of his soul when he was told he was not coming back to my program last year. It truly hurt him. And me. I can't lie. But I can't help this little guy in my current location. Heading off to the office this morning. I hope they will support me.
DeleteThere was a kid like that in my daughter's pre-k class. He had severe behavioral problems, and I'm sure that there must have been a diagnosis code to go along with them. I spent the entire year being the chaperone mom just to him, as the class couldn't take him anywhere where he wasn't contained and his parents could never get away to participate. As a parent, I felt what he robbed from the class was unfair to my child and every other child in the program. I hope that this request will be denied.
ReplyDeleteIt is unfair to the children who don't have those huge needs. I can see both sides... inclusion for little people whose special needs aren't even their fault... they're just stuck with it, and EXclusion for those whose needs are so profound it's actually harmful to others. I wish the best for Louis,and if I were able to just work one on one with him, I would be willing to try. But this just won't work on any level.
DeleteIf for some reason you ever change jobs again - you could be a 1:1 aide for a kid like Louis. You would be the aide (or PSW) we parents of special needs kids dream about!
ReplyDeleteOr be a PWS for a CILA in your area. That could be a part-time jig someday. Group homes are always looking for compassionate workers to help disabled folks live independently - some homes have adults with physical needs, true, but others like my son's are full of developmentally delayed (etc) adults - like big kids most of the time ;-) Just a thought.
I have thought of that more than once.
DeleteAlthough about 15 years ago would have been optimum, my physical condition isn't wonderful now.
One of my friends has a son who has done that type of work,he's been hit and kicked and had other lovely things happen to him. It's a tough job.