Followers

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

The HIPAApotamus in the Room

After fourteen years in the business, I know very well that not everyone manages day care the same way I do.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, there are many good people working as day care providers. I've learned from some incredible ones.

We're all different, but most of us are compassionate, engaged with the children we serve, cognizant of the fact that every single thing we say to the kids affects them, and act accordingly.

But if I were just starting in this line of work and the facility I've been spending my summer in was the place I started, I doubt like hell I'd have stayed with it.

The latest in a long sequence of stupid?

Remember Jerry?
Jerry takes medication.
Doesn't matter what the medication is for. It's sort of between Jerry and his parent(s) and the doctor.

On Monday while everyone was seated at the tables for lunch, Shanae, one of the bubbleheaded bimbettes SHOUTED across that end of the room to Bill, the young teen assistant, "HEY! Did Jerry's dad give us his meds??"

In front of all the children. Jerry included.
Bill snorted derisively and answered with the same top volume, shouting over the heads of the kids. "Yeah, he brought in a baggie or something with like five pills in it. One for every day this week."

"Well where is it?"

He wasn't sure. So they started looking on shelves and in (unlocked) cabinets. Shanae walked to the door and said, even louder because Bill was waaaaay down at the other end of the huge room, "I'm going to go see if Candice has Jerry's MEDS!!"

Every child in the room heard them discussing Jerry's private information.

Worst part? He's so accustomed to the lack of respect that he didn't even look embarrassed.

Yes, it's disrespectful. And it's also ILLEGAL. No one else should know about Jerry's medication, where or how or when it's dispensed. The staff should know better. Yeah, I understand that they're young and inexperienced. But good grief.

There's more. About Jerry and a couple other higher maintenance kids.

I'm going to go talk to Candice (again) and see what she has to say. It may or may not be 'just' a training issue, but I will speak up and I will stand up for kids. Especially those who have no idea how to do that for themselves.

I'll let you know how that turns out and a few more details next time I manage to sit down and write.

I can't WAIT for this summer to be over.
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

15 comments:

  1. I've said I don't know how you do it! So, of course I can't wait until summer is over --- for you and me both. Summers in SE Virginia are so humid. Funny, I always thought where you are would be cooler. Wrong, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it because of the kids. They MOB me when I show up because there's always something new to do. And all the old favorites from the whole summer. We're a busy bunch over in the 'Art Attack' corner.

      Delete
  2. if you can do so anonymously is there a higher governing body you can report this illegal (and dangerous if a child had found that unmarked baggie) problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to go to the manager of the site once again. And next time I'm in the office, talk to people a little higher up. Unacceptable risk with the unmarked and unsafely stored medication, and I really hate the loss of dignity for Jerry, too. He's not a bad kid. He doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.

      Delete
    2. Adding... I don't believe there is any such thing as a 'bad' kid. There are kids who need extra help. Jerry's one of them.

      Delete
  3. While it is against HIPPA to share, it's not a felony. I think they need educated, reprimanded but hung by their nails - Not so much. Stupid people are everywhere Ami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *I* don't plan on hanging anyone. :)
      Yes, stupid people are everywhere and for the most part I let them be stupid and I go on with my life. But this is child endangerment. And they need some serious training.

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, that was not right of them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just another training issue in a LONG LONG list. It's really bothering me, but I am trying to just let things go unless it's licensing. Their brand of disorganized and chaotic is apparently fine with them, and I won't be there for the school year, so yeah.

      But just simple good manners... "Would you announce MY medication in a room full of people I work with or would you realize it's private business?"

      Delete
  5. How many hours left??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 36 if my calculations are correct/my school opens on time.
      If I prayed, that's what I'd be praying for... a prompt opening of the new building.

      Delete
  6. Those younger staffers probably shrug you off not comprehending the potential tragedies you are preventing. The kids "get" it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the most clueless bunch of people. Just when I think I've seen it all, they do some other dumb assed thing. Time is just zipping by. Thank goodness. I can't WAIT to be out of there and back to running things my way. Taking care of children *first.*

      Delete
  7. I've found the best way to learn that lesson is by imagining that they are talking about my medication. They don't give kids enough credit for understanding what's going on around them. dumbasses.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized this morning that in little bits and pieces the crazy that has happened over summer isn't that large... but the cumulative effect of reading over my posts from this summer leaves me stunned. I definitely have to talk to someone about all this, something I'm not looking forward to. :::sigh:::

      Delete

Would it kill you to comment?